Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you want to do with your stuff? >

What do you want to do with your stuff?

What do you want to do with your stuff?

Old 02-27-2011, 04:44 PM

When my mom died, I was the only one interested in her fabric, tools, etc., so I kept everything of value. I did share some fabric with my cousin who was very fond of her.

I've thought about what will happen with all my stuff (more fabric than I want to think about, tools, books, DVDs, patterns, etc, etc, etc). So I made it very clear to my husband and my son (our executor in my husband's absence) that the entire lot of it was to go to my cousin. I know she'll make use of it -- or share it with people who know its value.

We all should think about this in advance and make our wishes known. If you don't have someone close to you who would appreciate your things and make use of them, find a school or quilting guild nearby who could use them to make charity quilts or whatever. Don't take a chance that your precious (and valuable!!) things could end up like this poor lady's!
Old 02-27-2011, 05:23 PM

I plan to downsize before my time comes, but in case there is no time for that, my quilt quilt guld and some of my friends will have my stuff. My only daughter has no interest in quilting nor my only daughter-in-law. Maybe a grandaughter is my only hope, but I have given it some thought, I just need to put down on paper.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:47 PM

I will all to my DD,she has gotten the quilting bug too,but should there be a reason she wouldn't want it I would want some one like you to have it.Some one who will enjoy it and love it as much as I have.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:06 PM

Our daughter gets all my household and personal things. Our son gets all the farm equip. and tools, etc. My daughter is very much into sewing, etc., as well as antiques. Our son also is into antiques. Our grandchildren right now could not care less about anything except money, so I am not going to worry about them. They all live out of state and never come around and rarely even call, so I don't think they're interested in anything that I have.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:22 PM

My daughter think that most of my things is junk so as I have just appointed my brother as executor he knows to give or sell them to some one that quilts.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:31 PM

Oh my goodness, how lucky were you? I would have gone crazy in that setting. I have already told my kids that if I look down and see a dumpster setting outside my sewing room window, I will come down and haunt them for the rest of their lives. I took an inventory of the things in my sewing room and wrote them down and said what had value and what didn't. Who knows what will happen.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:39 PM

My husband's DIL will get my Gammill and any other things she wants, if my granddaughter's are not sewing by then. The only exception is the hand turned Singer that my boys gave me for Christmas, that goes to my only DIL.

My best friend and quilting/sewing buddy say that whomever outlives the other gets the fabrics. That way our spouses are going to take really good care of us. They don't want us bringing the other's fabrics into their homes.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:39 PM

If my daughters don't want it I told them to take it to the
quilt guild that I was going to.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:41 PM

I have no one to leave it to, my daughter wants no part of it, and my two sons say "throw it away". so I will give it away to someone or sell it off i guess, i live in Illinois not many people come looking for this stuff, maybe what I will do if i'm allowed is put it up on this board. ??????
Old 02-27-2011, 06:48 PM

I have been the recipient of 2 different "quilting supplies" in the last few years so know how appreciative I was. Both came from out of no where. My DIL will get all mine. She is the quilter in the family and she has the GGD that she is teaching now. She may have to kick someone out of the house to put the longarm. Other than that, our church has a decent size group that quilts every week and I belong to a Guild and a Bee so know it will be taken care of. Quickly I'll tell a story that is very dear to my heart. My mom died 31 years ago and my dad 30 years ago. After mom passed, my oldest sister spent 2 weeks at his house taking detail inventory of EVERYTHING in the house from washrags up to jewelry. My Dad wanted no one to feel that someone got more than the others. There were 4 of us so she marked each "group" with A-B-C-D and we were given a A-B-C-D when he died and we drew. LR was A---DR was B---master bedroom was C--next bedroom was D--so on and so on. We spent the whole afternoon drawing and then we could dikker. I have never laughed so hard and had so much fun. We would not let anyone else in and it drove them crazy. It was a wonderful way to honor our parents. They had nothing of real value, but it was to them. Here's hoping you have as good time as we did when the time comes. I know mom and dad was up there laughing with us.

Sorry this is so long.

Peg-TX