Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you want to do with your stuff?

Blog Entries
    If my DH out lives me, he'll keep it for himself.The only thing is, he'll have to either find someone to fill his bobbin for him or at last he'll have to learn to do it himself.

Blog Entries
    I have told my quilting friends to call my husband and tell him that I want them to have the things that he and the family do not want. I'm telling him too.

Blog Entries
    I went to my last aunt's funeral this week. she was a crafter and a quilter too and it really struck home for me.Now, my cousins and i are the "old" ones and we have to make plans.

How sad. I hope the people who received the things she made value them more. I have 3 daughters who have been around quilting since they were toddlers they all know and appreciate the art of quilting. Two of them quilt. I also have 4 GD and 3 of them are quilters. I know they will appreciate all the treasures in my sewing room.

j
    My granddaughters and daughters will get all of it, I have a complete rubber stamping collection also. They are already being more crafty, so that's where all quilting things go also. -- J>

j
    My granddaughters and daughters will get all of it, I have a complete rubber stamping collection also. They are already being more crafty, so that's where all quilting things go also. -- J>

Idk, I don't have anyone to give all my things to! Which include 4 refurbished antique machines( there my babies). So I was thinking it was pretty cool that all you ladies had such a great time grabbing what you could afford, and came home with new treasures. I would be fine with making a whole lot of quilters and crafters have a blessed day buying up all my goodies. At least it's all going to good homes. I think my family would just pitch it , men !!!!!

DJ
    Quote Originally Posted by willferg
    I think I'd be okay with my stuff going in a yard sale...I'd be happy for someone like you to come along, appreciate the bargain, think a little about me, and then go home excited to start quilting!
    Me too!

Super Member HummerGardenCrafts's Avatar
    I've been thinking about the same thing. I'm not sure if my daughter or daughter in law would really be interested in all my goodies. So I don't know what I'll decide on yet.

my dd & ddil have started putting thier names on pcs of paper & inside the folds of my stash...

i'm only 49 and in good health... i told them both i plan to use it all up...

My stash is to be divided between my two sewing friends, they know who they are. I want my sewing machine (it's a good one) taken to the high school (school for girls) I graduated from and given to a gal who loves to sew but cannot afford a machine.

I have a very good friend that is much younger than me. I am going to leave every thing to her. My daughter has absolutely no interest in it. She has even made the comment "what am I going to do with all this stuff?"

Well, that is a hard one for me. I feel for that lady and her treasures. I have no children and my nieces and nephews don't sew (YET!!). I'm hoping to entice at least one of them to sew and will give it to them. But if that doesn't happen I guess it will go in an estate sale or be given to charity. I guess I need to think about that one.

I am really at a loss with what to do about mine. My sons are deceased, their wives have no interest.....granddaughters have no interest.....my friend are all "older" like me. Any suggestions???

I think I would donate all (Statler Stitcher, Accucut Studio)etc. to the local community college. Hopefully it will inspire students to keep the tradition going.

My daughters gets first choice, followed by DGD's and if they don't want it, it goes to my Quilt Guild. I would like for someone to use and appreciate it.

I have one daughter and one DIL so they will keep what they want and get rid of the rest.

I never thought about seeing that what they don't want go to a guild or group like that. Great idea.

Senior Member quilter in the making's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Already planned....a "wake" here in my studio with dearest close quilty friends, wine, edibles, jokes, and ribald stories about our doings over the years. They are to take what they want, after my DD who sews has her pick, only if they get into the joyful mood of the event. Leftovers go to the guild.

I look forward to "being" there! :-D

Jan in VA
    Love this idea!!!

Very good question! I have been thinking about this for several months now and selling off and downsizing because I will soon not have a workroom and be working out of my bedroom for family only. No one in my family that I know of would like any of the notions, supplies, fabrics, books or patterns. I think my son would just take them all to the Good Will. My goal is to have everything out to someone who can use it by July of this year.

Very good question! I have been thinking about this for several months now and selling off and downsizing because I will soon not have a workroom and be working out of my bedroom for family only. No one in my family that I know of would like any of the notions, supplies, fabrics, books or patterns. I think my son would just take them all to the Good Will. My goal is to have everything out to someone who can use it by July of this year.

It is in the will daughter gets all my toys son get all his dads toys.

Mine will go to anyone who is willing to take my cockatoo, Cookie, at the same time! Any takers???

Other than the fact I can't die until all my UFOs are completed.....

One son, no grandchildren. My quilting buddies are younger than I am and I have told them if I die in my current home, get here before my son does and take what they want and distribute the rest.

Blog Entries
    Please show us pics of the horn tables. I don't know what they are. Thanks.

uote=shequilts]I did my second favorite thing today, I went to yard sales. Perhaps I guess I should correct that and say yard sale. I passed a small freshly painted sign this morning in an older area where I don’t usually see many sales. Since I’m always looking for new places and new faces I followed the route and arrived at a tidy little house at the end of the street. There were cars everywhere. A sign on the garage said simply “Estate Sale.” I could hardly wait to rummage around for what I knew would be treasures.

I couldn’t believe my eyes as I entered the garage. It was a complete quilt studio. There were rows of fabrics on bolts, books and patterns in huge storage bins, an entire tub of thread . There was a Horn cutting table and a Horn sewing table to match. The cutting table had a 6 foot cutting mat to fit. Ott lights were at the machine, beside a rocker, and at every table. An entire wall was covered by peg board and hooks held rulers, new scissors in packages, new needles, smaller cutting mats and every imaginable notion sewing notion. Everything was for sale!

People were grabbing bolts of fabric and arms full of everything they could hold, while struggling to grab more. A large sign on a table said, “make us an offer.” A lady next to me said, “they’re giving this stuff away.”

I picked up some rulers and scissors and a few other small items. One of the sellers was nearby so I asked about the Horn tables, he said, “no one has asked about those. What do you think they’re worth?” I responded by saying, “I know what they’re worth and I probably can’t afford them.” He quickly said, “How about $75.00 for the both of them”. Two ladies nearby overheard and shouted, “I’ll take them.” He said to me, I offered them to you first, do you want them? Of course I did!

Not believing my good fortune, I had to ask the man why everything was being sold so cheaply.
    He responded, “My Mother just passed away. She loved to fool with this stuff but I only have brothers and we have no use for any of it. She made a lot of things and gave them all away. All of her friends are gone now, so we just want to get rid of it.”

On the way home, I thought long about this lady. She and I had a lot in common, we both had a sanctuary for our treasures and like her I make and give away a lot of my work. I’ve collected and organized, sewn and gifted, just as she had, I can’t imagine my “things” being offered “just to get rid of it.”

Most of us (at least those of us with a few years on us) have already prepared a will to help dispose of our most treasured possessions. Somehow, I never gave much thought to the thousands of dollars I have tied up in my hobby. Multiple machines, fabrics and supplies, all the accoutrements of my sewing room that make it comfy, would account for a large sum of money. What a shame for it to be sold for pennies on the dollar.

I decided that I will add an addendum to my will stating who I want to have my bounty. If my DD doesn’t need or want it, I’ll have a long list to offer it to. Who do you want to have yours?[/quote]

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast