Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What do you want to do with your stuff?

Blog Entries
    I have been to several estate sales where all of the fabric was sold for next to nothing. I told one lady who's mother was in the rest home to tell her mother the person who bought the fabric would make sure it went to a good cause. Also, I have seen many people's collections of "stuff" from all over the world for sale at garage sales. There children do not want it or have no place to put it. At least someone who buys the "stuff" wants it.

I don't care if it all becomes amaxing bargains for other quilters, just don't want my unused appliqué blocks, pricey fabrics and thread, and precious machines at the dump. It surely does happen .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    My daughter gets it all. She has a passion for sewing and quilting (thankfully) and has already said she would put it to good use...so that's easy for me.
    Ditto for me. Want my daughter doesn't want, she will offer to the board :)

I'm sure this lady is looking down and is happy that someone who appreciates and loves quilting now owns her tables. I have two daughters and one grandaughter but none of them have any interest in quilting. I told them to take all of my fabric to my guild and let the ladies have fun picking out what they want.

This really hits close to home, just last week my Mom and I went thru her things for distribution. I will receive her complete sewing room, but who in turn will get mine? I have my grandmothers sewing notions. My 2nd DD crafts but would she appreicate and take care of them??? hmmm not so sure.

Blog Entries
    My daughter doesn't have time or the know how to sew.[My grandson-{12} has made a quilt and pillows but he wont want to by then. My DIL cant be bothered.Works and is trying for a baby.Her mom sews but I would have to think really hard about that. So I am here with no close friends and all that I make I donate to charity anyways, so I might donate my couple thousands of yards to Quilts for Valor, or someone that sews for the Vets or for the Shriners Hosp.here or the NICU or kids ward. I really need to decide before my big day comes!!!

Blog Entries
    There is a group near us that takes donations of fabric, yarn, tools to sew with,etc. to teach those in the shelter to sew. If my sewing supplies ended up there I would be totally happy for the recipients. My family doesn't seem interested.

Somewhere on the Internet I found a " Quilter's Will" . I printed it off and told mom to check this out they have wills for everything. We laughed and she took it and laid it her table. After mom passed away it was already known since I was the only one in the family that sewed her sewing stuff would go to me. When they got ready to read her will there among the other will was the Quilter's Will. All I could do was laugh and cry at the same time remembering how much fun we had with it the day I showed it to her. I have saved receipts for machines and bigger items so he can sell what he wants but knowing him he will donate the fabric so quilts can be made for others.

My Kitchenaid (circa 1981) and my Viking (circa 1989) go to my daughter, to do with as she pleases. The rest of the sewing stuff? whatever the kids want to do with it.
    (my oldest son gets my husband's grandmother's grandfather clock, and my youngest son gets the kids rolltop desk that my husband's father used)

I don't want them strapped with 'that's what Mom wanted' but I do plan on going through this house, room by room, and making notes of things, how they belonged to the family, etc, in case anyone ever wants to know. I'll start with the front porch and all the antique toys that have a family link

Oh, I just rememberred, my husband's grandmother had a couple of quilts , there's got to be something here that wouyld be equal to leave the other kid too

I don't have kids and my family is not interested, so I have left it all to charity and the Public Trustee will be the body who disposes of it.

When my mom died, I was the only one interested in her fabric, tools, etc., so I kept everything of value. I did share some fabric with my cousin who was very fond of her.

I've thought about what will happen with all my stuff (more fabric than I want to think about, tools, books, DVDs, patterns, etc, etc, etc). So I made it very clear to my husband and my son (our executor in my husband's absence) that the entire lot of it was to go to my cousin. I know she'll make use of it -- or share it with people who know its value.

We all should think about this in advance and make our wishes known. If you don't have someone close to you who would appreciate your things and make use of them, find a school or quilting guild nearby who could use them to make charity quilts or whatever. Don't take a chance that your precious (and valuable!!) things could end up like this poor lady's!

Blog Entries
    I plan to downsize before my time comes, but in case there is no time for that, my quilt quilt guld and some of my friends will have my stuff. My only daughter has no interest in quilting nor my only daughter-in-law. Maybe a grandaughter is my only hope, but I have given it some thought, I just need to put down on paper.

I will all to my DD,she has gotten the quilting bug too,but should there be a reason she wouldn't want it I would want some one like you to have it.Some one who will enjoy it and love it as much as I have.

Our daughter gets all my household and personal things. Our son gets all the farm equip. and tools, etc. My daughter is very much into sewing, etc., as well as antiques. Our son also is into antiques. Our grandchildren right now could not care less about anything except money, so I am not going to worry about them. They all live out of state and never come around and rarely even call, so I don't think they're interested in anything that I have.

My daughter think that most of my things is junk so as I have just appointed my brother as executor he knows to give or sell them to some one that quilts.

Blog Entries
    Oh my goodness, how lucky were you? I would have gone crazy in that setting. I have already told my kids that if I look down and see a dumpster setting outside my sewing room window, I will come down and haunt them for the rest of their lives. I took an inventory of the things in my sewing room and wrote them down and said what had value and what didn't. Who knows what will happen.

Blog Entries
    My husband's DIL will get my Gammill and any other things she wants, if my granddaughter's are not sewing by then. The only exception is the hand turned Singer that my boys gave me for Christmas, that goes to my only DIL.

My best friend and quilting/sewing buddy say that whomever outlives the other gets the fabrics. That way our spouses are going to take really good care of us. They don't want us bringing the other's fabrics into their homes.

If my daughters don't want it I told them to take it to the
    quilt guild that I was going to.

Blog Entries
    I have no one to leave it to, my daughter wants no part of it, and my two sons say "throw it away". so I will give it away to someone or sell it off i guess, i live in Illinois not many people come looking for this stuff, maybe what I will do if i'm allowed is put it up on this board. ??????

I have been the recipient of 2 different "quilting supplies" in the last few years so know how appreciative I was. Both came from out of no where. My DIL will get all mine. She is the quilter in the family and she has the GGD that she is teaching now. She may have to kick someone out of the house to put the longarm. Other than that, our church has a decent size group that quilts every week and I belong to a Guild and a Bee so know it will be taken care of. Quickly I'll tell a story that is very dear to my heart. My mom died 31 years ago and my dad 30 years ago. After mom passed, my oldest sister spent 2 weeks at his house taking detail inventory of EVERYTHING in the house from washrags up to jewelry. My Dad wanted no one to feel that someone got more than the others. There were 4 of us so she marked each "group" with A-B-C-D and we were given a A-B-C-D when he died and we drew. LR was A---DR was B---master bedroom was C--next bedroom was D--so on and so on. We spent the whole afternoon drawing and then we could dikker. I have never laughed so hard and had so much fun. We would not let anyone else in and it drove them crazy. It was a wonderful way to honor our parents. They had nothing of real value, but it was to them. Here's hoping you have as good time as we did when the time comes. I know mom and dad was up there laughing with us.

Sorry this is so long.

Peg-TX

No one in my family sews so I would leave it to someone who can't afford to buy much and loves to quilt. I have a couple of people in mind.

I've had some serious thoughts on this last year. I have sons and neither quilts. I didn't want to leave 'unfinished' projects, etc. it's always so sad to find those in thrift stores! So I got serious this year and started the Ufo & Wips challenge thread. To finish up all the projects, not buy anymore fabric unless it's needed to finish projects. As I get going I'll downsize my gadgets as well.
    When my grandmother died (many years ago), and when my mom died a few years ago, the only things they had left were their old sewing machines, 1 each, some thread, a few notions, my mom had about 12 well used patterns and some embroidery floss and 5 skeins of yarn. both had about 1 shoe box of scrap fabrics left. That's it.
    They both did leave some wonderful completed works of art, and I have yet to attain to their level of mastery. Maybe one day I'll get to that level.
    My hope is that all my projects are complete and all my remaining 'stuff' is well used.
    Blessings,
    MaryAnnd

Peg from tX, I love your story. My mother didn't want her DIL to get certain items (she had made my brother ask for these things for years). So, my parents ended up leaving all perwonal inventory to me; money was left evenly to all 3 of us. My dad died 1 1/2 years after Mother. I cleaned out one room at a time and had each of us take turns choosing. What was left, was done same way for grandkids. Of course, she left all her eewing stuff to me.

Blog Entries
    I have two daughters and two neices who sew, so no 'just get rid of it' for me.

I hadn't really thought of it. Just assumed my guild would take/sell/use it. But...I love what Jan in VA said. I guess I better make provisions in my will for all my goodies. And what luck you had with those HOrn cabinets. I'd love to see pix.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast