Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What does quilting mean to you? >

What does quilting mean to you?

What does quilting mean to you?

Old 06-03-2011, 06:05 AM

For me it is my form of creative expression. The more I quilt the more I want to quilt.

It is also my form of stress relief. I have a very stressful job and there is nothing better than to turn on my audio book and dive into my project. I have actually taken my blood pressure when I got home from work and after I have been quilting for an hour and it is down at least 20 points. Just what the doctor ordered. If I could quilt all the time I probably could get off my BP medication.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:06 AM

It's a hobby and social network, like this board. I also belong to a guild and have made many nice friends.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:13 AM

I just enjoy it. I've thought about it and can't pin it down to just one or two things. I love the process, it's therapy. I get to be creative. I just love all of it and when I'm done I have something beautiful and useful to donate or gift to family or friends.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:14 AM

It started out as something I always wanted to do. When I found out that if you took it one step at a time it really wasn't that hard to do. Then I realized that you can adapt any pattern to the way you want it to look and I took off. Once you realize a pattern or kit can be done in any colors you want the whole world of fabrics is open to your picking...So for me it is an expression of myself to others. Come join the fun one and all! :mrgreen:
Old 06-03-2011, 06:23 AM

It's my passion that's for sure. It's a from of escape and creativity. I always, always have something fun to do.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:27 AM

it's cheaper than a therapist, and i don't have to change out of my jammies for a "session". it's instant joy when i find the right fabric that clicks with me. it's carrying on a tradition that began with my grandmothers, fresh from sweden. it's caring for my family and friends, keeping them warm, both physically and emotionally. it is love made visible, made so with caring hands. it's an ongoing education of techniques and color and patterns. it's an inspiration to learn about old machines, and to use them--and to learn about new machines, and stretch my brain.

it's a challenge that waits for me, accepts me on my own terms, and if i respond to the challenge, it gives me results, both expected and unexpected in the process. it keeps me busy and centered (like i need another task). my family knows where to find me.

and it's good, clean fun!
Old 06-03-2011, 06:27 AM

My sanity. Hobby, creative release, making something useful.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:28 AM

Quilting is my hobby, art , therapy, relaxation. Also my thinking time. Kinda fills most catagories.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:30 AM

The thrill of taking that pile of fabric and making it into something beautiful! To see the finished product and know that you created it! Quilting is my solace in life!
Old 06-03-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
I just enjoy it. I've thought about it and can't pin it down to just one or two things. I love the process, it's therapy. I get to be creative. I just love all of it and when I'm done I have something beautiful and useful to donate or gift to family or friends.
I have to agree with quilterguy27...also, I tend to be a bit OCD...okay, maybe alot OCD and I know my quilts will never be "perfect" in the perfect sense. Once I realize this, I get over it. I no longer expect perfection from myself and end up loving what I've accomplished. I love love love giving my quilts away.