Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What Does Your Quilting Space Look Like?

To All : This is what my sewing space looks like most of the time. I took this Pic this morning. Yes I am a Redskin Fan as is my Son and Grandson. Hubby is a Denver Bronco Fan.

Not so neat today is it!!
    Name:  Attachment-6713.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  49.9 KB

bj
    Here's some pics of my sewing space. I want to get someone to build shelves in my closet so it will a little neater and more accessible. Those big plastic drawers aren't sturdy enough. It's hard to see, but the basket behind my chair is full of yardage fabrics, and there's a plastic box on the floor I throw scraps into. I'm thinking about cutting my scraps into 2" and 4" blocks for scrappy quilts later on.

quilting buddy, Gus
    Name:  Attachment-6783.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  35.4 KB

storage closet
    Name:  Attachment-6784.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  33.2 KB

sewing corner
    Name:  Attachment-6785.jpe
Views: 16
Size:  50.9 KB

I'm with you, Loretta. Plus, it is the kids play room!

I have the space if I wanted to use it BUT it is upstairs and we don't use it so I am afraid if I made a room up there it would be out of sight out of mind....know what I mean? We have 2 bedrooms upstairs that is just junk and storage so we close it off. Therefore, my space is right smack dab in the middle of my living room..... :) Son is usually in his room and hubby is usually in our room on the computer so I clutter up the living room. We don't entertain or anything so it is no big deal. I don't have alot like some of you...(yet) but when I need to clean up I just take my table down and put all the stuff in the cabinet and push it up against the wall. Just looks like a microwave stand....lol. Anyway here is my pics, not that great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

more pics

Well I am organized but messy, like many of you some of my space doubles as other things. There the white rack glass tanks are snakes, big tubs are rats and mice, rat cage on top of plastic drawers (stuffed with fabric. The two tables in an "L" shape are stuffed underneath with fabric. The cubby affair is a rack for hatchling snakes (holds 30 snakes), but they all just moved up, so it's a mess. The table with blue tub usually holds fabric I am working with but those are snakes in the tub mating. I love my room, but am a little sorry it is such a mess today. This time of year I am spread thin so just get sewing in when I can, don't look at the mess and have fun. There's also a sewing machine and computer in this room.

Newquiltertoni! I have a spare bedroom AND a sewing room but both are filled to overflowing! I have to bring my sewing machine into the livingroom to use it. :oops: Honestly thinking about getting rid of the double bed in the spare room to move in my quilting stuff but just thinking. Like you we don't get any company to speak of so really don't need the extra bed. If anyone DOES stay we have a sofa, cot, and (for the summer) a pop up camper we don't use anymore for camping. Plenty of room so why not use the spare for a quilting space? :D

bj - it would appear some of your sewing space is being taken up by a rather attractive boxer. Is he your helper?

Toni, I love your sewing table! I'd say you are off to an excellent start. I have to tell you though, I laughed and choked on my water (I was taking a drink) when I read how you can just put it all in a drawer and push it up against the wall. The thought of my trying to do that with all my stuff is what caused me to laugh/choke. Yeah right! :roll: Don't worry, you'll get there and someday you'll have a ton of stuff that has consumed your living room. I can't wait to remind you of this several years down the road; together we'll have a good laugh. :lol:
    ~Tiffany

Lois,
    We got rid of the twin bed in my sewing room and bought an big air mattress for the kids when they come home. I've not regretted the loss of that bed one minute! That being said, I still have drug my sewing machine into the living/dining room to do the quilting on my latest quilt. It helps to have the dining table carry the weight of the quilt while I'm working on it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Marieg - Um, you don't actually quilt with the items in that last photo, do you? I must tell you, I have a mental image of an art quilt with some very realistic parts on it. *gulp* :lol:
    ~Tiffany

Tiffany! I have the same sewing table. Comes from Wal Mart! I got the one that came with a sewing stool with storage and wheels! WWWHHHHEEEEE!!!! I love my sewing table! (PS> Didn't we ALL start with a neat little space at one time???)

Quote Originally Posted by Lois-nounoe
    (PS> Didn't we ALL start with a neat little space at one time???)
    Oh my, now that brings back memories! I started quilting on the coffee table in my living room. That is where my sewing machine rested and I hunched over it from a chair in the living room. I had a box crammed with fabric and my stuff and that was all the room there was. I look back and cringe when I think of that dark corner in the room and me hunched over for hours at a time and my back twinges in remembrance. I've come a long way since then. (Yay!) I know from talking to quilters from all over that many of us started with humble beginnings. I think it's part of the common thread amongst the quilting community and helps bind us all together. (Okay, sad attempt at a pun there. :roll: )
    ~Tiffany

bj
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois-nounoe
    (PS> Didn't we ALL start with a neat little space at one time???)
    Oh my, now that brings back memories! I started quilting on the coffee table in my living room.
    ~Tiffany
    Memories for sure. I did not quilt on my coffee table, but when I first got married I still made a lot of my clothes (19 and both of us in college...no cash for store-bought). I sewed sitting on the floor (no dining room) at the coffee table and operated the pedal with my knee. Those were the days! And yes, Tiffany, the boxer is Gus, my quilting buddy.

These spaces are really cool!! Giving me lots of good storage ideas , thanks all.

marieg, I especially love the Tootie Fruities :D. Good stuff aren't they? LOL

where the navy sends us, for now its Lansing MI
    connie1948 that is a heck of a sewing room.. I really need to finish my basement so I can be as lucky as you ladies and have a sewing room.. they look great ladies!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Okay here's mine. :D It's a room right off the kitchen--about 8' by 12'. I cut on the kitchen table. It was where we kept the change table, then the computer. Once we moved the computer to the family room when the kids were older :wink: it became my sewing room! Like my husband says, it's really too small to do much else with. Our house is over 180 years old and has a unique design. :D

I know the photos won't post in order :roll: so I'll explain. From the kitchen you'll see the cutting mat hanging on the door to the left--and a very old wooden ladder holding strips. The ironing board is just to the right. Once in the room, a right turn has you facing the sewing machine and stash closet. On your right--opposite the ironing board is a bookshelf with extra ragged flannel squares and other fabrics for works in progress. Books are on the bottom shelf. I added a view inside the stash closet.

Name:  Attachment-3845.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  49.1 KB

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Here's a few more....

[img][b]My quilting space looks just like my kitchen! :-)

Very nice barnbum! I really love the ladder, I can see why you were so happy when you got it!

Sprinter, mine too :wink: :lol:

Its like I have been reading about myself..... :lol:

Thanks for the pics..great pictures

Blog Entries
    I loved visiting everyone's sewing space. I felt at home in every picture. My sewing space is a spare bedroom, nothing grand but it's all mine!

I moved into my house in September and decided that what was advertised as the master bedroom would be my sewing/stash/office room... so, in looking at all your pictures I'm getting a big case of the 'oh, thats a great idea' thoughts...

Thank you for sharing

Oh, to have a sewing room. My sewing room is my bedroom. Do you suppose if I'm REAL good this year, Santa will have his elves build an addition on the house???? :? Never hurts to ask!

Thanks for all those great pics!
    Donna in AZ

Quote Originally Posted by vicki reno
    My sewing machine shares a space with a double be, cutting table and bookcase. The closet is full of fabric and so are two small plastic chests. I am the LAST one to give advice on storage because no matter how large the space, I will fill t up as soon as I can! :lol: :lol: I am a pack rat and never met a piece of fabric that I didn't like. the only way to control my spending habit is to stay out of the fabric stores and stay off of ebay. I am hooked on quilting and want and convince myself I need everything I see, so I try not to look! :lol: :lol:
    Oh, Vicki, I knew we were kindred sisters!!! I have the same problem, I've now filled two walls in my bedroom with shelves about 20 inches from the ceiling with baskets filled with fat quarters. (bridge to the bed coming soon) because my youngest son moved back in to help me with Roy so I lost my sewing room. But I had shelves, I have two large drawered plastic containers, I have boxes under my bed (roller type) and I have one end of my dresser with books, a silver ware divided basket for my tools, pencils, square rule, etc. Then on the back of my bedroom door I've put some of those flexible (easily moved) hooks for my rules and stencils. Oh, and i have a full size (to big) book case with fabric, irons, spray starch, books, magazines, water bottle, etc. on my other wall by the chest of drawer. :lol:

I'd be much happier if I didn't have to have the dresser and chest of drawers in here, then I could add another book shelf for fabric. :roll: Do we really need clothes for more than shopping? I could live in pjs and slippers while sewing/quilting............but my Mom would KILL me if I went shopping in pjs like so many folks I see in stores now. :shock:

I've just been to buy more fabric for two special quilts for my great nephew and niece. Mom came Saturday and was looking at the two I'd made their newest brothers, so no way was I going to get away with that. Two more......right now, please!! :roll:

Do you think I like quilting??? BTW you can NEVER have to much quilting stuff unless your name is Moderator Patrice! Now she should really really have her own LQS, but not until I finish all my shopping. :wink:

Hugs,
    Sharon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast