Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Does Your Quilting Space Look Like? >

What Does Your Quilting Space Look Like?

What Does Your Quilting Space Look Like?

Old 02-11-2008, 06:25 PM

Well I am organized but messy, like many of you some of my space doubles as other things. There the white rack glass tanks are snakes, big tubs are rats and mice, rat cage on top of plastic drawers (stuffed with fabric. The two tables in an "L" shape are stuffed underneath with fabric. The cubby affair is a rack for hatchling snakes (holds 30 snakes), but they all just moved up, so it's a mess. The table with blue tub usually holds fabric I am working with but those are snakes in the tub mating. I love my room, but am a little sorry it is such a mess today. This time of year I am spread thin so just get sewing in when I can, don't look at the mess and have fun. There's also a sewing machine and computer in this room.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-55950.jpe   attachment-56149.jpe   attachment-56152.jpe  
Old 02-12-2008, 01:58 PM

Newquiltertoni! I have a spare bedroom AND a sewing room but both are filled to overflowing! I have to bring my sewing machine into the livingroom to use it. :oops: Honestly thinking about getting rid of the double bed in the spare room to move in my quilting stuff but just thinking. Like you we don't get any company to speak of so really don't need the extra bed. If anyone DOES stay we have a sofa, cot, and (for the summer) a pop up camper we don't use anymore for camping. Plenty of room so why not use the spare for a quilting space? :D
Old 02-12-2008, 02:04 PM

bj - it would appear some of your sewing space is being taken up by a rather attractive boxer. Is he your helper?

Toni, I love your sewing table! I'd say you are off to an excellent start. I have to tell you though, I laughed and choked on my water (I was taking a drink) when I read how you can just put it all in a drawer and push it up against the wall. The thought of my trying to do that with all my stuff is what caused me to laugh/choke. Yeah right! :roll: Don't worry, you'll get there and someday you'll have a ton of stuff that has consumed your living room. I can't wait to remind you of this several years down the road; together we'll have a good laugh. :lol:
~Tiffany
Old 02-12-2008, 02:06 PM

Lois,
We got rid of the twin bed in my sewing room and bought an big air mattress for the kids when they come home. I've not regretted the loss of that bed one minute! That being said, I still have drug my sewing machine into the living/dining room to do the quilting on my latest quilt. It helps to have the dining table carry the weight of the quilt while I'm working on it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 02-12-2008, 02:06 PM

Marieg - Um, you don't actually quilt with the items in that last photo, do you? I must tell you, I have a mental image of an art quilt with some very realistic parts on it. *gulp* :lol:
~Tiffany
Old 02-12-2008, 03:05 PM

Tiffany! I have the same sewing table. Comes from Wal Mart! I got the one that came with a sewing stool with storage and wheels! WWWHHHHEEEEE!!!! I love my sewing table! (PS> Didn't we ALL start with a neat little space at one time???)
Old 02-13-2008, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lois-nounoe
(PS> Didn't we ALL start with a neat little space at one time???)
Oh my, now that brings back memories! I started quilting on the coffee table in my living room. That is where my sewing machine rested and I hunched over it from a chair in the living room. I had a box crammed with fabric and my stuff and that was all the room there was. I look back and cringe when I think of that dark corner in the room and me hunched over for hours at a time and my back twinges in remembrance. I've come a long way since then. (Yay!) I know from talking to quilters from all over that many of us started with humble beginnings. I think it's part of the common thread amongst the quilting community and helps bind us all together. (Okay, sad attempt at a pun there. :roll: )
~Tiffany
Old 02-13-2008, 11:04 AM
bj

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Originally Posted by Lois-nounoe
(PS> Didn't we ALL start with a neat little space at one time???)
Oh my, now that brings back memories! I started quilting on the coffee table in my living room.
~Tiffany
Memories for sure. I did not quilt on my coffee table, but when I first got married I still made a lot of my clothes (19 and both of us in college...no cash for store-bought). I sewed sitting on the floor (no dining room) at the coffee table and operated the pedal with my knee. Those were the days! And yes, Tiffany, the boxer is Gus, my quilting buddy.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:17 PM

These spaces are really cool!! Giving me lots of good storage ideas , thanks all.

marieg, I especially love the Tootie Fruities :D. Good stuff aren't they? LOL
Old 02-13-2008, 02:51 PM

connie1948 that is a heck of a sewing room.. I really need to finish my basement so I can be as lucky as you ladies and have a sewing room.. they look great ladies!!!