Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What first attracted you to quilting

I guess i'm a weird - Neither my Mom nor Gram sewed...i did - from my HEc preteen days - my own clothes, then later my daughter's...made small quilt projects over the years without really knowing the "rules". But as i got into quilting more, for me, it's both "therapy" and a chance to express myself. Let's face it, despite wishing i could, i'll never write the great American novel, or paint a Mona Lisa, or play / write music - but i can make something that's pretty, that someone can use and enjoy, and that makes me happy...with the added bonus of having fun teaching my grand-daughters to quilt !

Mother left two quilt tops when she passed. One was made from scraps from the garments we had worn, and she had made the garments. My daughter wanted that one finished. I took a quilting class so I could do that, and the die was cast.

Mostly boredom. I have always done garment construction. I considered quilting part of the home decor portion of sewing that I didn't care for. After the kids all grew up and I wanted to sew it seemed the most reasonable thing to do.

Power Poster
    My Mom taught me to sew before first grade. In the beginning it was an embroidered pot holder, then aprons and by the time I entered high school I made 90% of my clothes. I drifted away from sewing for a few years, but I did buy quilt magazines. My daughter wanted me to make here a quilt from a pattern in Spinning Spools by Georgia Bonesteel and I even purchased her video on quilting. Kari's quilt is the only quilt I hand quilted because I developed carpal tunnel syndrome from years of typing as a secretary. Then my husband spotted a "crib size" quilt with baskets. Of course my simple mind decided that it would be easy to make a king size quilt - I just had to make more blocks. LOL In short the "Basket Case" quilt grew to be an oversized king quilt (one good turn deserves all the covers) and managed to machine quilt with my Sears Kenmore sewing machine. No one told me I couldn't do it - so I did, but I did manage to take some quilting and machine quilting classes which helped tremendousy. Then when the quilting group at church decided that they didn't want to make more raffle quilts for the church fair, a group of us got together and made a beautiful floral stenciled quilt, which made a lot of money for the church. The rest, as they say, is history,I've lost count of the raffle quilts I have made as well as hundreds of quilted baby blankets, table runners, placemats, wall hangings,etc.etc. I made my DD's quilt when she was 8 or 9 and I've been quilting ever since. I'm now 65 years old, and although I'm recovering from a spinal cord injury to my neck which sidelined me for 4 months in the hospital and rehab. I'm happy to report that I'm regaining the use of my hands and legs, but I'm starting to quilt again, which makes me very lucky that I can. Since I've started to quilt (small things for now_) I'm much happier, which makes my family glad as I get very "grumpy" when I can't quilt. Now - on to clothes and more quilts for our wonderful grand daughte Zoe - maybe some day she may want to learn to quilt. Happy quilting everyone..

I was going through a very difficult time with one of my daughters who at that time was seriously ill with an eating disorder (she is now recovered thank God) and all my time was revolved around her and visiting her in hospital when I saw an advert for a beginners quilt class just for a few hours on a saturday - so feeling incredibly selfish I signed up - it gave me space from all the problems and I found then as I still do 10 years on very theraputic .

Love of sewing....

I first started sewing when I was 5 years old, simple needle and thread. Then learned to sew on my mothers little Singer Featherweight machine. Made my own clothes, then for both my sons and all my nieces..... I love the concept of quilts and have been sewing/pieceing and quilting for well over 40 years. Quilts, unlike clothes, can last forever. They are history from the person who sewed it to the person who receives it....After my husband passed away, I kept some of his shirts and made a quilt for each grandchild, and included in the quilt a photo of them with their grandpa....now that quilt might now be in a closet somewhere, but I have the satisfaction of knowing I made it and gave those kids a memory for life....I also sew for the Linus Project, a local homeless shelter and our local military hospital, passing onto them my love of fabric, design and hopfully bringing them a little joy. What more can be said about this fantastic passion.

I started sewing doll cloths when I was little. Then advanced to making all my school cloths & went on to making all my kids cloths. My girls didn't get their first bought dress till they were twelve. Once all the kids were away from home, I had a heart attack. I wasn't able to do hardly anything for such a long time I really felt useless. Then I heard about the Linus project quilting for kids. That gave me a reason to go on & I started my quilting adventure & haven't stopped. I truly feel this is what saved my life.

Mine is a classic reply I guess....My grandmother made over 300 quilts and supported her large family from the 30's through the '60's by selling quilts made on her treadle sewing machine Even after she got a new electric machine with cams in the sixties she always preferred and usually used the treadle. She was the dearest person in the world to me. While she was living I thought quilting was for "old" ladies...I liked getting a quilt from her but never thought about making one myself. She passed away in December of 1975 at the age of 86 when I was newly married and living several hours away. I was heartbroken and depressed for many, many months. Early in 1976, as a Bi-Centennial grant project, a free quilting class was offered in my county. In an effort to feel close to Grandma Emma again I took the class.....was almost immediately hooked and have been quilting ever since and am now a professional quilter myself....and my youngest of three daughters is named Emma as well.
    Kathy

A mind is like a parachute...it works best when open....

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

My mother was always sewing clothes, etc for all of us so the machine was always available. She basically taught me how to sew despite the fact that I did take a home ec class in jr. high--my mom's way was much more pragmatic--bought an easy pattern and said do it--ask if you have problems! But the first "quilt" I made was in 4th grade when we studied US pioneers--we had to do something for class. My effort was hand sewn and mess! So my Mom made me re-do it correctly and I still have it! (it's a doll quilt)
    I sewed clothing for my kids when they were little, horse show clothing and other stuff and always wanted to quilt--but the pre-rotary cutting era was too daunting for me!
    when I moved to the "country" the local guild has beginner classes for the price of membership yearly--2.5 years ago my daughter and I took the class and I've been hooked every since! I find I really don't like making clothing anymore(especially after recently sewing some wedding clothing with that awful, fraying, slick material!) but find that quilting allows me to be creative and productive and I just love it!

Always did just love fabric, but started making scrub tops, and having a lot of scraps, so one day I just started cutting out squares, by hand, then cutting them in half triangles, then mixing up, sewing together into strips, then wah-lah, I had a scrappy patch work quilt. Tied and binded, made several of these. Hated home-ec in school, don't like making clothes, except the scrub tops (easy peezy).
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I made my first quilt when I was in my early 20s. My aunt worked in a textile factory and had cut out blue polyester prints (fabric from men's pants) to make a bowtie quilt. She gave the pieces to me in a large garbage bag with the directions and I toted them home from Oklahoma. I remember quilting them while my baby girl took naps. When I finished it it was so heavy and not cuddly that I think I must have tossed it. A few years ago someone at work told me that I would never be able to quilt as I wasn't "detailed orientated". Of course, that's one way to get me to try something. We now have one of my quilts hanging in the lobby where I work. I'm hooked this time around.

I started the day my niece was still born. My brother came over and we sat and cut out squares of fabric and I started sewing them together. Knew nothing about making quilts but it was comforting. That was in the early 70's. Since then I have sewn, designed, taught, and now have a TV program about quilting.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Blog Entries
    I would watch, sorry I most likely have her name wrong, Georgia Bonstell on PBS on Sat. and longed to learn how to do it but never could with our tight budget. Then a super gal Pat gifted me with bags of material she no longer had need for and I was off. Of course 40+ years in between though.

I was going to quit teaching and decided I needed a hobby, knitting maybe...But then I saw a quilt in a quilt shop window and thought that's what I need, an embroidery machine so I could make THAT quilt for my granddaughter! And here I am 5 years later and still quilting for the grandkids some are getting a 2nd quilt now!

I have been sewing since I was big enough to reach the pedal on my mom's treadle. Have done all kinds of hand crafts (I love counted xstitch), but last year I decided to try making a "real" quilt. You know...piecied and stuff....Am now able to say......HI. my name is Elaine and I am a quilt addict..........

My brother and I was raised by my grandmother. Whenever she had a moment to sit down she always had a basket of fabric pieces she had cut out with scissors and would piece quilt tops. Then in the winter, she set up the quilt frames in the den and would quilt all winter. Sometimes my aunt Agnes would come over and quilt too. The frames set on the back of chairs and when we were little, my brother and I would play under the quilt. I think we pretended it was fort. As I got older I begged her to teach me to quilt, but for a while she balked because I was left handed. Finally I was persistent enough and she showed me how to pull the knot thru and how to rock the needle back and forth to make the stitches. I loved it. Couldn't wait to get home from school so I could quilt. After I grew up, married and moved away, I didn't try quilting again until less than two years ago. I'm 63, so it was quite a dry spell. Now that I am doing it again, I love every aspect of it. I feel close to grandma when I work and hope that she is proud of what she taught me.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    I love this topic! Every one of these stories is wonderful! Thanks to everyone for sharing!

My mom's Aunt Laura made quilts. She was chair bound but had a basket with scraps from men's wool suits by her chair and pieced tops. She passed away when I was 10 but she had 22 pieced tops in a cedar chest. My mom and her daughter, Mae, would tie them on a frame under a big shade tree in our yard every summer. They are long gone because my dad, a germaphobe, washed them in hot water with bleach while my mom was visiting her parents out of state.
    Mae taught me to sew when I was 12, and she also made quilts. When I was 19 I traveled to California and met my mom's Aunt Stella. She had a crazy quilt she made. I was fascinated by it.
    I made most of my clothes and many of my 4 kids cloths for about 40 years.
    My first quilt was an Eleanor Burns log cabin quilt in a day back in the mid '80's. I didn't become a serious quilter until '99. I've been hooked ever since.
    My baby brother teases me that it took me until I was 52 to find my passion.
    Last edited by kateyb; 07-18-2012 at 08:48 PM.

I started quilting, as I was working in stained glass, and ran into a problem in a studio apartment.. I had a hard time controling the glass shards from going all over the place.. There was a fabric store a couple of towns over, and I fell in love with the hobby.. My mom doesn't have a clue how to sew, but my grandmother used to make duvet covers for our down comforters.. We are talking over fifty years ago, but I remember her using a black singer with a treadle.. I self taught myself.. and my first quit was cut using scissors.. I sort of tied it, but bought buttons, and sewed them on in the intersections.. I used poly batting, and it's big, and soft..

My grandmother and mom worked part time in the L.A. garment district, so I played at sewing during my childhood. During college I sewed myself a down sleeping bag, backpack, wool parka and down vest from Frostline kits. Post-college, got into stained glass, a kissing cousin to quilting. But it was when my mother-in-law, a quilter, was visiting us and I went with her to the old Calico House in Yorba Linda, CA (when it was in a Victorian home) that I saw a Wheel of Mystery quilt as a display for a class and fell in love. I signed up for the class and thus started my addiction.

I come from a long line of quilters...my great great grandmother had neighbors who would give her scraps and she would piece quilt tops. My grandmother did many quilts and I can remember the quilt frame she had set up when I was a kid. Mom always liked to sew but really didnt start quilting til she retired. She got my teenager daughter interested. I never liked to sew, thought it was a tedious job. Then I received an email link to a quilting site and I checked out and was soon bitten by the bug. It's truly a family tradition!

I can't ever remember a time when i wasn't sewing something. My mom and both grandma's sewed all the time. I learned to sew when I was very little. The first quilt I ever made was for my DD when she went from the crib to a big girl bed. I used Tri-Chem fabric paints to make Sun Bonnet Sue blocks and then made sashing and a border and machine quilted it. I used 5/8 inch seams and polyester fabric! She is now 38 and still has the quilt! I have learned a lot since then. I made most of my clothes and my kids clothes. Quilting is a creative outlet for me and I love it. I have several quilts planned in my head before I finish the one I am working on. I usually have several projects going at one time.

My daughter wanted me to make a quilt for my grandson. I selected an Alex Anderson wall hanging of sail boats and made it into a full size quilt. It was eight years later before I tried quilting again. Now I'm quilting every spare minute and having so much fun! I think this board has kept me quilting. I have learned so much from all of you. Thanks!

After sewing clothes and craft things, I found quilting and wanted to leave my children and grandchildren something
    I made. I have quilts that my Grandmother made and one from my Great GrandMother, whom I knew for several
    years...and it is hand quilted Grandmothers Flower Garden. My mother did not sew!! Now I have found out I
    am going to be a Great Grandmother in February, so I need to make baby things...lol
    Sometimes I feel like I am a collector....patterns, fabrics, and notions!

Blog Entries
    I love antique quilts & fabric, so thought it would be nice to give quilting a try.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast