Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you? >

What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

Old 05-29-2010, 11:37 AM

I was 5 my mom had a dance studio, and we made costumes for the recitals. My mom loved to hand sew but hated the sewing machine. So she taught me how to sew on the machine, and I haven't stop sewing since. Funny though, I do not like to hand sew.... lol...
Old 05-29-2010, 11:54 AM

Don't remember how old I was. But my first project in Home Ec was a stuffed pink elephant. :D
Old 05-29-2010, 12:06 PM

I made a wrap-around skirt in Home Ec.
I am guessing that was around 1964 or 1965.
That was so long ago.

Blessings to all,
Sandi
Old 05-29-2010, 12:08 PM

When I was very small, I did a lot embroidery on burlap. There wasn't a lot else to do at my Montessori.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:25 PM

7th grade home ec. My first project was an apron. Second project was a gathered skirt. I picked out the fabric and it faded in the first wash. I was devistated.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by CarolLady
I didn't realize they were discontinuing home ec classes in school. Both my kids took it and sewed something in high school They have been out for 5 and 2 years. That's sad! Glad they were able to do the sewing they did.
My oldest daughter graduated from a Washington U and she was the last to graduate with a home ec degree. The school was removing it the next year. Maybe, hopefully, in some areas they are not as hip in the times. And, maybe they have put it back in schools. Not sure.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:26 PM

I was probably 12 or 13 yo taking home ec. My dad bought me a machine and I also took lessons but did not like the dress I made. It was a pattern selected by the instructor to give experience in buttonholes, gathering and applying cuffs. I then made many skirts for myself.
I also sewed manythings for my children and grands. I did not get into quilting until I retired.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:32 PM

I learned to sew in Home Ec when I was ten and I made a peasant blouse and a broomstick skirt. They felt it was nice enough for me to be in their style show.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:05 PM

Knitted blackboard duster at age 4 (1944)mother knitted houndstooth pattern waistcoats we sat and learned after she refused to teach me how to weave coloured wools in and out-she said we'd watched her often enough to know; knitted red sweater with bunny on for neighbour's child at age 11 then knitting gloves and sweaters for orphans at convent school; Mother sat at Singer treadle sewing machine day and night sewing 280 blouses a week-she became Britain's 'best home sewer' went to convent school at 14 and learned hand embroidery, dressmaking our outfits for leaving school at age 16 then made own clothes for most of life and clothes for children, including clothes for Cindy, Paul & other dolls including little bent knee rubber dolls 1.5" high!! doll blankets etc for little wooden cradles;hand embroidering for big firm 1958 sewing tapestries and church banners; Secretary all my life but knitted in spare time on buses, trains and in cinemas as well as for fashion designer until 1985. Machine knitting 8 years or so helping Camp Quality (Cancer support for children) with leg warmers and beanies Then into hand patchwork etc until today when I still don't sit still for a minute - I'll be 70 in June!!
Old 05-29-2010, 02:10 PM

Wow this bring back memories. I also made a drawstring gym back in home ec in the 7th grade. After that I made clothes but did not like sewing at that point. I went into needlecrafts and stayed there for years until I started quilting about 10 years ago. I still don't like to sew clothes, though.