Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you? >

What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

Old 05-29-2010, 07:28 PM

The summer I was 8 years old and at my grandmothers. She did not have a tv for that matter I did not at home either. No neighbors so grandma got out some quilt blocs that she had cut out. She called them bricks.
She showed me how to sew on her treadle sewing machine. Everytime I went there I worked on the quilt.

The next thing was Girlscouts and then I was on my way to sewing.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:43 PM

i was 19 years old. dress for my husband sisters .
shirleyt
Old 05-29-2010, 07:52 PM

I was about 12 and learned to sew in school. 7th grade. 1st thing I made was a red and white check gym bag. Teacher was impressed and said my hand sewing looked like it was done on a machine. That impressed me !! Next was a poplin jumper. It got ruined when I picked up a sick pigeon who got stuck in the tar in the street which melted on that very hot day. That was the end of that jumper. Came out pretty good too. That was just the beginning.
Wish I still had my old treadle machine. Don't remember what happened to it. Just like my victrola ( Ha Ha , do you know what that is ?) Well it's late and need to get some sleep. Tomorrow all the kids will be here for a birthday party. All except one GD who just moved to Florida. Sure do miss her. We will be celebrating 2 b'days, DD and GD. DD is 53 and GD is 32. Used to celebrate 3 at once when my Mother was still with us. Had 5 generations then. Say good night friends.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:06 PM

I started out at age six making doll cloths, by hand, with the scraps from the dresses my Mom made for my sister & me. From there I made lots of yo yo pillows. By the time I hit high school, I was already making my cloths & also dresses for my Mom's friends that didn't know how to sew. My girls were 12 before they got their first bought dresses for Easter. Also made all my son's & husbands shirts until I got into quilts. By them everything else got pushed a side.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:16 PM

3rd grade, so 8 or 9 in 4-H. Made an apron and I still have it. Blue and white check with blue trim. So it is 60 or 61 years young.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:24 PM

I'd guess I was 11 or 12 in Home Ec. I think the first thing I sewed was a skirt. Even made chair pillows and a quilt (we called them comforters back then) for my brother for christmas one year. Made home decor (tons of pillows and drapes/curtains for various apartments, homes I've lived in). Lots of clothes for myself, sport coats for x-hubby, flannel shirts for x-FIL, I even remember a jumpsuit (OMG) for my Mom. And of course, clothes for my kids when they were young, the halloween costumes, party dresses, dress shirts, t-shirts, etc. I've even made three formal wedding dresses (two were for close friends). I've also cross-stitched, crocheted (never really got into knitting) and done hand embroidery. By far my favorite is sewing/quilting. My wrists and hands don't let me do needle work much anymore but occasionaly enjoy a small project.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:26 PM

I was six and my grandmother sat me down at her treadle and had me sew the ends of long strips togeather. Once that was done we braided them and made rag rugs. Then we made aprons. My main fond memory of her was getting to go to quilting bees with her. It was so much fun watching all the women quilt together.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Banned

I was 42 years old and taught my self how to sew, that was also the same day I started quilting!

Billy
Old 05-29-2010, 08:54 PM

The first thing I ever made using a sewing machine was in 7th grade Home Ec and it was a bib apron on a treadle machine.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:59 PM
prm

As a retired Home Ec. (now called Family and Consumer Science FACS) teacher I wish all of the respondents to this question could contact their state education departments to stop eliminating Home Ec. from the middle and high schools and return to foods and sewing classes. My state , Pennsylvania says sewing is a craft and not a life skill and has removed it from the middle school curriculum.
PRM