Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What have you done to challenge yourself? >

What have you done to challenge yourself?

What have you done to challenge yourself?

Old 05-16-2018, 07:45 AM

Every year I go to road2ca since its local and I make it a point to take 1 class every year on a new techniques. I never repeat or take something previously learned
Old 05-16-2018, 10:14 AM

My biggest challenge was a Judy Martin quilt. A little confusing on the layout but I finally got it after calling a friend over to my house and I guess two heads are better than one!!! Love the finish quilt and if I knew how to put pictures on here I would love it.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

I tried needle turn applique twice. Found out that I am not good at that. But at least, I gave it a try.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:31 AM

I try to challenge myself with something once a year....but I will not do anything that is too intense - I want to enjoy the attempt. Once tried doing Joseph's coat, after watching demo on making the templates and putting on fabrics and hand piecing. I found keeping that 1/4" seam allowance straight was my downfall, so it was UFOed...but looking for something else the other day, I found it, and thought...hmmm, wonder if inklingo has this and maybe doing the templates and doing it way she (Linda franz)does it, I may be able to keep my seams accurate....still deciding, but must finish this GFG-epp first......
Old 05-16-2018, 11:34 AM

Teaching my big sister to use my longarm quilter. I'm a 'take charge' type person, so holding back is a challenge and a half. It's going well. We haven't had a fight - yet!

The first quilt we did, we made every terrible mistake you can make - in spite of my 'expertise'. It's good to learn how to handle those mistakes with a guide nearby, but I wish we hadn't made them. The quilt came out just fine, by the way.

Second one has gone better, but now, at the end of the quilt, we have some serious fluting. I explained how I handle that, but left her to make her own decisions. Later we will finish the quilting.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:04 PM

This year I finished The Splendid Sampler. I started a year ago when they came out with a sew along. Took a year to finish. Then it sat for a while until I could have it quilted by my LAQ. I learned tons of new skills. Pat Sloan is coming out with SS#2. [ATTACH=CONFIG]594517[/ATTACH]
https://www.thesplendidsampler.com
Attached Thumbnails img_7965.jpg  
Old 05-16-2018, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

I'm finishing up the Blazing Star that was offered as a kit on Craftsy. It has a million y-seams. I can't wait to get it finished. I have not enjoyed it at all but I am better at y-seams lol
Old 05-16-2018, 04:25 PM

Celtic Layers quilt in my avatar was a fun challenge.
Celtic Layers and New Leaves wallhangings

Jacqueline de Jonge's Enchanting Stars was a harder challenge, (6th picture).
Four quilts and a Jacqueline de Jonge WIP
Old 05-16-2018, 05:40 PM

I"m just finishing Elizabeth Hartman's "Dogs in Sweaters" quilt. It was a challenge for me. I've never worked with such small pieces where accuracy was essential for the design to come out correctly. My seam ripper and I spent a lot of time together. I learned a lot. It was a good experience for me.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:50 PM

I'm working on a scrappy Jacobs ladder, doesn't sound like much until you realize I'm using 1.5 inch squares. The small pieces are the challenge for me, and learning how important a scant 1/4 inch seam is