Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I have learned and questions >

What I have learned and questions

What I have learned and questions

Old 12-03-2016, 09:20 AM

I am so happy that you are enjoying your new hobby. I am not able to quilt now because of pain. Am dealing with a totally new problem. I hope to be able to get back to it one day soon. Read magazines, books from you local library, and join a guild if you can find a compatible group, and you will learn even more. As you gain more experience, you will enjoy quilting more and more. I began quilting in earnest in the early 80's so I have enjoyed it for years. I am in my 80's now so looking over my years of teaching and quilting I am happy with my hobby. Happy quilting!
Old 12-03-2016, 05:32 PM

dottiemae, your solution for your "oopsie" is terrific! Congratulations, you've just made your very own design/pattern!!

As far as thinking the rest of us would "finish in one day"... well, not me. I HAVE done a "quilt in a day" ONCE. It was a lap-sized quilt. And I did NOT enjoy the pressure (found out the night before about a baby shower).

As long as you are enjoying the process, having fun, feeling artistic, and not stressing out, then you're in great shape!!

To prewash, or not to prewash, that is the question... OK, so Shakespeare didn't really say that, but if he was a quilter, he might would've. As with everything quilting, this is YOUR choice, YOUR preference. Personally, I LIKE the crinkly look, to me it's a more "traditional" look and feel. I don't prewash anything - not the fabric, not the batting - again, because I really DO want my quilts to "shrink".

However, you will probably see this many, many times here on the Quilting Board... "there are no quilt police!!!"
There will always be those who want to "make rules"... but unless those rules are placed within the confines of a quilt show, you can ignore them - the so-called rules, I mean - but if you want to ignore the rule-makers, that's OK too. About the only rule that really is a rule is that pesky 1/4" seam... and some days, no matter how hard you try, those don't want to cooperate either!!

Quilting, now more than ever before, is an art form. It comes from your heart, your vision, your enthusiasm. As a long-time quilter (who STILL has oopsies quite often!!), I'm enjoying seeing your enthusiasm!! Enjoy your new machine, thank your hubby profusely for it, and enjoy the rest of your quilting journey. The rest of us here will cheer you on, give you encouragement, answer your questions (and as you can see, our answers are as diverse as can possibly be!), and inspire you to get better. Make sure you post pics when you finish, we love to see each other's "art".