Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WHAT was I thinking?? Now what to do?? >

WHAT was I thinking?? Now what to do??

WHAT was I thinking?? Now what to do??

Old 10-03-2011, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Meander
This is what I was thinking too! That way, you can continue what you have started & it won't matter when you are done, & both sides will look great! I don't think it will matter that the back in reversed, I think both sides look good, just change your quilting method to meandering & it will work out fine...
Old 10-03-2011, 05:12 AM

Diagonal through the center of some of the squares.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:18 AM

The Black, white and red block is beautiful. If you want them to match up, top and lining, you would need to baste and baste and baste. I've tried this with smaller quilts and learned after the first one baste, baste, baste along the block joining seams then swirl or something else in each block, Make sure the seams are still all lined up, then do a wavy design along each seam. It worked for me, but don't take my word for it.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:33 AM

Gorgeous colors together ... meander! And then don't tell anyone it doesn't line up! They'll never know! :)
Old 10-03-2011, 07:15 AM

Two quilts sound good to me.
Then diagonal lines from corner to corner all the way across the quilt. Simple and looks great.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:40 AM

I love red so of course my vote is to use the back of your quilt as a new top on it's own. It's gorgeous!! I tried to do straight lines on an old top before I learned FMQing and those lines were difficult for me just trying to keep them straight. Not to mention pulling my hair out when I was trying to keep the same amount of space between each somewhat straight line. Why not practice FMQing and then do a meandering pattern over the entire quilt if you wish to keep them together. They're both very nice! :-)
Old 10-03-2011, 07:46 AM

Meander is the way to go. Even if you do 2 quilts.....meander, it's fun and fast. Love the colors for both. Good luck and let us know what you decide. :D
Old 10-03-2011, 07:47 AM

How about a diagonal grid, spaced about 4 inches apart and ignore any of the stitched lines of the blocks?? That worked well for me once.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:07 AM

You will probably never line them up exactly. Even if every seam is identical ( no way that will happen..no one can sew exact seams that are not one tiny bit off).. even if you could, with batting, when you start to quilt them, the loft will pull one out of sync with the other. A meander or centered motif on each block & meander around each would be best.

Been there, done that!

Originally Posted by Carol in WI
I am making a QAYG using the D9P pattern and copied from Marykoch's example (thanks Mary, your's is beautiful!). I decided to make the reverse side a D9P also using just 2 colors. That's when I must have lost my mind ~ I tried to SID around my blocks. What ever made me think I could SID on BOTH sides of the 'road'? Now what to do ...Do any of you have suggestions of how to quilt this? I'm not a FMQ and so it needs to be fairly simple. Straight lines perhaps or use a template design? What do you think would look good from both sides?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Meander
That's what I would do...meander. Or if you are set on the SID, use invisible thread in bobbin and top.