Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I'm good at / what I'm bad at >

What I'm good at / what I'm bad at

What I'm good at / what I'm bad at

Old 12-02-2023, 06:13 PM

I’m poor at repetition. Making 120 half square triangles will often stop me from making a quilt. Needs to be an alternate motivation.
Old 12-02-2023, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
I’m poor at repetition. Making 120 half square triangles will often stop me from making a quilt. Needs to be an alternate motivation.
That is where your unusual and fabulous color choices come in.
Old 12-02-2023, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

I am good at finishing everything I start. I only keep two projects going at a time. One for home
a s one to take to once a month quilting.

I am bad at precision. I use my screen name because I do a lot of ripping. I am not trying to be perfect because who is but I do want a nice result.

in also don't have a stash. Is that good or bad? My quilting friends gently tease me about that. But I do have a lot of scraps and like to make scrappy quilts.
Old 12-03-2023, 01:19 AM

I'm good at working on one project at a time from start to finish. I have no unfinished WIPs laying about. One at a time - Start to finish. Also good at organization and keeping a clean sewing room - while the current project is sitting out on work stations, it is an organized setting, with all un-needed scraps tossed or put away and quilting tools put in their place ready for next step/use, daily. Basically in my sewing room, everything in its place and a place for everything. Makes it so nice not to have to be frustrated by having to stop to try to find something. I know exactly where it is. This also helps me in doing each step of the current project/quilt. It is ready for working on as soon as I walk into my sewing room and I know exactly where I left off just by looking at how it is organized.

I'm bad about looking at the sales for fabric and patterns, in so that I have a lot of projects planned and bought for. That way as soon as I complete the current project/quilt, I can just grab the next project out of my cupboard and go for it. But the good/bad is that I have enough for future projects all ready and I really don't need to buy for a long while..... but those darn sales just keep happening!

Last edited by quiltsfor; 12-03-2023 at 01:28 AM.
Old 12-03-2023, 03:57 AM

Great at wanting to do it all. Every fun new pattern i see, project, buying beautiful patterns.

BAD BAD BAD at follow through, completion, cleaning up my space!
Old 12-03-2023, 06:27 PM

I'm good at not buying any more fabric! My stash is modest compared to some, but as it is I know I'll never sew through it in my lifetime. I'm bad at completing a project before starting another . . . or several more! Each time inspiration hits I just have to make a few blocks to see what it's going to look like.
Old 12-04-2023, 03:32 AM

I'm very good at being organized and wanting everything to line up and be neat and matchy-matchy. I'm also good at not collecting any more fabric than can fit into one large bin, as being around too much of any one thing makes me very anxious.

But ... I'm bad at actually using these fabrics. I'm being to wonder that if after 50 years of sewing I'm about all sewed out, and have become a fabric collector instead of a fabric sewer!
Old 12-04-2023, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
‘Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. How can a strength become a weakness? OR How can I overcome weaknesses?

So I listed repetition:
1.) do it with friends at a retreat while I talk
2.) do it late at night. When tired I can do repetitious work
3.) play music or books-on-tape
4.) break it into little segments and reward myself at regular intervals
5.) pep talk
6.) big-girl panties and discipline
7.) do it when furious with _____. The repetition gets my mind focused and concentrated on something else and I calm down. Bible study also works at these times. But that usually requires forgiveness. Actually I’d get a lot of repitition finished because I can be really slow to forgive and let go. Actually think I’m motivated to get those ### for Bonnie Hunter.
Old 12-05-2023, 08:10 AM

I'm good at coming up with my own patterns and finishing them. I don't have any UFOs. It's one at a time for me or I'd never finish any of them.

I'm fairly good at quilting although I hate that part. I was very surprised that one of my quilts was juried into Houston in the sit-down machine quilting category.

I'm horrible at following someone elses written pattern. Most of the time I can do it, but it takes me forever to figure out what is meant by the instructions. Once I made 14 (18") blocks from someone elses written directions and only one came out correctly. It's much faster to just do the designs that I see in my head.

I have no vision for art quilts. How to put a realistic person's head on a quilt escapes me. I have no interest in improvisation.
Old 12-05-2023, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
My sewing room is a disaster. I'm a hoarder.
Had some kind of stroke (doesn't show up on the MRI) in July, so not feeling like I'm good at anything right now.
I hope that you feel better soon, Annette

I'm good at dreaming up new projects. I'm even pretty good at starting them.

I'm bad a finishing projects.

I'm absolutely terrible at keeping things neat and tidy.