Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What makes a shop "worth" going to???? >

What makes a shop "worth" going to????

What makes a shop "worth" going to????

Old 08-14-2012, 03:56 AM

don't get you if staff are friendly you don't go back! I would want a friendly friendly staff, and not the ones that ignore me , the ones that offer their help and assistance. But thats my oponion.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:13 AM

Friendly staff who make me feel welcome - helpful but not intrusive. Without that I would rather shop online using sellers I know - and many of them have the personal touch as well!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:16 AM

Doghousemom, you wouldn't be writing about an overstuffed shop in Bloomington, IL would you? If so the shop owner is very knowlegdeable about her fabric. All you have to do is ask and she can tell you if she has it and lead you to where it is. I go there all the time. She gives 20% off for cash. and after you spend a certain amount you get 20% off no matter how you pay. She only carries good quality fabir and has a back side aisle full of 1/2 price fabric. Some of that isn't so good because some it is very old. You have to be careful.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:17 AM

Myson told me a response to unfriendly sales people "Are you under court order to work here?" Haven't tried it.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:20 AM

We have a great little shop that sells used fabrics at $5 a yard. They get it from estate sales, shop closures, etc. You can also take your fabrics in and they will purchase them for a small price. You get some wonderful quality fabrics at a great price. Problem is that one of the gals there is so sour and rude, that I refuse to go in the door anymore. It's worth it to pay retail to not deal with her!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:30 AM
Suz

I love the folks at the three shops I patronize. All three are owned and staffed by Mennonites and believe the Mennonites are friendly by nature. Helpful, yes. They all take an interest in me as a person as well as my projects, often calling me by name. They love it when you bring in a completed top using their fabrics. One owner took me into a machine-applique class to show off a hand-appliqued top. I only had this top with me in order to coordinate and select the o/s border fabric. Their selections are very good and fairly priced.

I make approximately one QOV per week and have for over five years. Some shop owners have given me great discounts on the quantities of fabric purchased (usually 6 yard pieces and several pieces at a time).

Last edited by Suz; 08-14-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:37 AM

When I go into a QS I want to see 'good quality' fabrics. And a large selection of fabrics.
Thats why I'm there, to choose fabrics for my quilt. As long as they provide that, who cares about anything else. (?)
Old 08-14-2012, 04:45 AM

Good assortment of quality fabrics and notions. Staff that is knowledgeable and polite. Don't follow me around the store but be aware if I need assistance. I know there are other customers and if the staff sees I need assistance but are busy with someone else - acknowledge me and let me know you'll be available momentarily. Enthusiasm is not a pre requisite for the staff, knowledge about fabric, etc. is.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:47 AM

My friend and I go to a neighboring state for a Shop Hop. Every September. We visit 23-25 shops in 2 days. How the shops display their merchandise and the samples they have made from the fabric lines make a lot of difference in the time we spend in each shop.
The friendliness of the staff and the availability of kits helps us decide what we are going to buy. We are lucky to have so many options and to be able to go and look.
It is amazing that there are so many fabric lines that you can visit that many shops and they all reflect the personality of the owners and the needs of their clientele and are not the same. Happy stitching from Oklahoma.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
MarLeClair

I have to giggle... You don't like "friendly" people?

Sandy
I'm giggleing too. I thought I was the only one who typed foo-pas. She is right though. It has to be a have to case before I go into the Hancock's store in our area. the people in there are so UNFRIENDLY and seem to be wrapped up in their own little worlds. The prices are too high too. I don't want anybody to hover over me while I'm shopping but I do appreciate a smile and a howdy do when I walk into a place.