Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What makes a shop "worth" going to???? >

What makes a shop "worth" going to????

What makes a shop "worth" going to????

Old 08-14-2012, 04:58 AM

My favorite quilt shop is Loose Threads in Milton, WI. The owner Mary Kay is friendly and knowledgable. Her quilt store offers fabric for every taste and it's arranged artfully and in a manner than makes sense. She has quilts and projects on display everywere. There are books and gadgets and going there is like visiting a friend. We have over ten quilt stores within a one hour radius, yet she gets most of my business. When I go to other stores when we travel, I constantly think that they should take lessons from her.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:41 AM

we entered a quilt store in our home town after being gone for about 2 years. they still remembered us! there is plenty to see. the staff is knowledgable, but they don't hover. the lighting is good. the aisles are clear. there are fabric bundles and other things on the lower shelves above the fabric. there are many patterns and samples made up and displayed nicely in the store. there are plenty of notions and templates. it is just a wonderful place to be. i would recommend it to any one. (psst - it's in columbus, ohio)
Old 08-14-2012, 05:45 AM

I like it when there is a lot of inspiration. By that I mean, lots of samples and patterns I can't find everywhere. Friendly staff is a must as is adequate lighting. Some small shops are my favorites.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:49 AM

One stop shopping (quantity and quality)
Clean and organized... I have been in shops that are cluttered and dirty...
Friendly and helpful staff.... at my lqs the staff have been there for years and have a loyal customer base, but they are very gossipy.... which I don't like, I shop there because it has a great selection and is 3 miles from my house, and the ladies are very knowledgeable but I hate their gossiping.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Banned

Friendly staff, number one reason.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:35 AM

I agree that the reception you receive when you walk in makes a difference, but having a wonderful selection is the important thing. I love my LQS because I know everyone who works there and most of them are friendly and knowledgeable, as well as having a great sense of what goes together with what. All that being said, the fabric selection is a bit limited and I find myself going to other shops to find what I want.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:56 AM

These posts make me sad...the LQS here moved to a new location and changed and I don't like it there now. Zero notions, very small fabric selection, and the staff makes me feel like I'm interrupting a private conversation when I walk in the door. I went in on my birthday with cash burning a hole in my pocket, determined to splurge on something beautiful and unnecessary...and walked out empty handed maybe 5 minutes later because I felt so unwelcome and there were so few fabrics to look at. Another LQS went out of business last year, just before I really got into quilting. I guess quilting just isn't that big of a deal around here because these stores don't seem to be thriving. Fortunately we have Beverly's around here, two of them within 10 miles of my house, and they have some really nice fabrics and good friendly staff. Not as "homey" as a good LQS would be, though, and really not much cheaper.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:02 AM

Good staff-friendly, excited about your projects, not pushy but knows their store and can point you in the right direction.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:04 AM

They have quilt fabric and notions!
SandyQuilter
Old 08-14-2012, 07:05 AM

For me it's the total atmosphere. I've been in several stores that were just stores. Basically as impersonal as any other store. I've been in stores that were shops. Warm, friendly and inviting. Most of the shops I've been in have a table and chairs and a coffee pot going. The stores were just a place to buy fabric but the shops were places to meet friends and hang out.