Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What makes a shop "worth" going to???? >

What makes a shop "worth" going to????

What makes a shop "worth" going to????

Old 08-14-2012, 07:15 AM

When I got quilt shop shopping, my first priority is how they treat me and my 2-1/2 year old son. He goes every where with me. If they have a problem with him being in the shop, then out the door we go. Had one shop where I was looking at fabric on the top shelf and he was looking at the fabric on the bottom shelf just rubbing the fabric, just like mommy. The owner of the shop came up to me and told me I needed to control my child and not let him touch the fabrics. I handed her the bolts I had already selected and picked my kiddo up and out the door we walked. She came running after me asking WHY I wasn't buying any of the fabric I had pulled off the shelf and then tried to give me a lecture about how long it was going to take her staff to put 5 bolts back in their place. Will NOT go back to that shop, EVER!

My second priority is the selection versus the price. I know prices are going up, however I know certain "staple" fabrics that you have had in the store for a year that you marked up to be in line with the other fabrics...the reason I know is because I still see the lower price beneath the price tag you tried to cover it up with. I expect to pay more for the newer fabrics, however the older ones, keep their prices the same, unless you ordered a new bolt of it. Now, the selection needs to be there too. Been in shops where they have maybe 200 bolts and they are all similar.

My third priority is friendliness of staff AND manuverability throughout the store. The staff needs to be excited I'm there and they need to have enough respect for me to make it so that I can manuvere about the store without fear of knocking something over. Too often I've seen displays set up on flimsy tables, one bump and they are on the floor. If/when this happens it is nice when the staff comes over and fixes it and tells you not to worry, it wasn't my fault.

Other things I look for are new patterns and pattern selections, unique fabrics, etc. Also, need a place for hubby to sit and wait. He gets impatient having to stand or walk around with me.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:33 AM

Bottomline.....customer service, from the first greet at the door when I walk in, to the "Nice to see you again",,,to the "And what are you making with this beautiful fabric".....to "Did you find everything you were looking for"....to "Thank you for coming in today, come back soon".......Somehow NEVER hear that at Joanns, sometimes at Hobby Lobby, even sometimes at Walmart....but Always at my sweet little local quilt store, where everyone knows my name .................. and how corny is that !!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
All of the above are factors, but one thing I always remember about a shop is the display quilts. I love to see quilts that are different in design. And I hate to see unquilted tops on display. Come on, get it quilted!
I visited a new (to me) shop in Buckhannon, WV on Saturday and it is everything a shop should be. Wonderful quilts on display, both hand and machine quilted---patterns and methods I've never seen before. Smiling agreement when I explained I shouldn't add to my stash. Shown an unfinished top, my opinion on how to quilt it was asked. Wow. I did purchase a printed panel for foundation piecing (to use with stash, of course) and left with warm and friendly invitations to return. AND private off-street parking.

The experience was like being initiated into a cozy quilting circle. There are nice shops within 1/2 to 2 hours driving time but this one JMHO takes the prize.

Last edited by Greenheron; 08-14-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:43 AM

Colors of prints and the quality at a reasonable price.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:51 AM

Lots and lots of fabric. That is why I go to a quilt store: not to look at crochet and knitting or buttons or embroidery. And I do like to see quilts all over the place and they have the patterns for these quilts, it's different than looking at books or magazines. I don't need kindness from the staff, but being friendly sure helps. But lots of fabrics please.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:24 AM

The fact that they are there is enough for me to go to a LQS. My favorite ones have friendly helpful staff who aren't pesky and let me browse if I want to or help when I need it. There is a shop here with fabric I like but their lighting is bad. Also they need lots of batiks because I find that is mostly what I buy. I am fortunate to have 7 LQS within about 15 miles of my house. I also have a JoAnns and 2 Hancocks. There is a new one I haven't been to yet but I will probably go next week. My son has been visiting from Japan for a month and his wife will be here for the next week.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:55 AM

I don’t care if they’re friendly or not as long as they know their business. Sometimes the crotchety ones are the most knowledgeable and helpful.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
MarLeClair

I have to giggle... You don't like "friendly" people?

Sandy
I was thinking the same thing on this one. Sure she left out a word; like NOT
Old 08-14-2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
I visited a new (to me) shop in Buckhannon, WV on Saturday and it is everything a shop should be. Wonderful quilts on display, both hand and machine quilted---patterns and methods I've never seen before. Smiling agreement when I explained I shouldn't add to my stash. Shown an unfinished top, my opinion on how to quilt it was asked. Wow. I did purchase a printed panel for foundation piecing (to use with stash, of course) and left with warm and friendly invitations to return. AND private off-street parking.

The experience was like being initiated into a cozy quilting circle. There are nice shops within 1/2 to 2 hours driving time but this one JMHO takes the prize.
Hi there, when I go home, to Buckhannon I always go to that shop, without fail. One time they upset me because they volunteered to put me on the list for the WV blocks (black and white ones for WV) and then mail them to me. I was the second one on the list. I called them months later and they said they'd already sent out what they had so they were out of stock and a waiting for more to come in. I was upset because I was 2nd but none had been sent to me. I got to go back home a couple months later and they had them in stock. I didn't buy them there, even though I did let her know I was upset about the incident and the fact that I never did get any. I went to the Elkins store and got the ones that I wanted instead. I will always go there because they are friendly and have beautiful things. I told my sister (who lives there) that me not going over such a small thing would be punishing myself and that's just dumb. I need a bigger reason. Like a shop here in the next town; the people are rude, including the owner, and overprice some things as well. I rarely go there. I only go there when I'm looking for something and can't find it or I get an email and there is a special trunk show or something that isn't overpriced. One of my favorite shops here is the farthest away; actually my two favorite shops are the farthest away but they are so great and so worth going to. I plan on going to Buchannon at the end of the month and I'll be in that little shop for sure. Possibly Elkins, it's so clustered and hard to get around with kids in tow but they are really nice.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:50 AM

friendly and treat you like you may have a brain
good quality fabric