Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What a Mess! >

What a Mess!

What a Mess!

Old 01-23-2016, 05:39 AM

Our house was full over Christmas when all four kids ant the grands stayed over. Youngest DD slept on the floor in the sewing room. It was nice an cozy ... and I didn't clean up anything. The floor has to be clear so I can get in there to sew. We have three bedrooms, a daybed in the living room, an queen air mattress and a queen sofabed in the rec room. We all had breakfast together. Dad cooked and middle DD assisted. I sat and enjoyed the grandkids and my tea.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:12 AM

I'm lucky that there's room in my sewing room for ME, little only a guest. LOL
Old 01-23-2016, 06:24 AM

We have a trundle bed in the sewing room. It is a small space, and I have to do a lot of cleaning and organizing before anyone can use it. As far as pulling out the bottom bed, something else in the room has to leave. And if a guest tried to open the closet door, she wouldn't be able to get it shut again.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:57 AM

I would have to put everything away but I could do it. Closet space would be limited though!
Old 01-23-2016, 07:15 AM

Thank goodness, I have a spare bedroom besides my sewing room. I have so much stuff in there, there would barely be room for an air mattress. Of course, we rarely have guests.

I agree with MadQuilter. Guests need to stay in a hotel
Old 01-23-2016, 08:31 AM

Is that the only spot to put your guest? I would not even think of putting someone in my sewing room! Tell them to get a hotel if this is the case! Well, at least I would consider doing that!
Old 01-23-2016, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

I'm working on it.
Originally Posted by faykilgore View Post
I usually totally clean and organize, vacuum, dust, etc after each quilt is done. Well, I've gotten a little disorganized by starting several projects and not having finished anything recently, so the sewing room hasn't been really cleaned in a bit other than making enough space to start the next project. Now, I need that room for a guest. AHHHH! I spent all evening up there and have come to the incredible realization: I need to get rid of some stuff so I have more room for material! Good thing I started early. It's going to take all week to make enough space for the air mattress to go on the floor. Can anyone on this board put a guest in their sewing room for a weekend?
Old 01-23-2016, 08:53 AM

We do... the grandkids who sleep on the floor. However, I have to work for a few days to get the floor cleared.

I can relate to you vividly!
Old 01-23-2016, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
I have one of those pincushions, too.

When he last visited, my 13 year old nephew exclaimed, "Aunt Cathy, you have so many pins on the floor!" Which was code for "why don't you pick them up?"

I told him that's why I wear shoes all the time. In fact, kids that normally go barefoot in the house know that shoes are required when visiting. They have learned that lesson from finding pins with their feet. Maybe that's why they leave lego's on the floor...to teach me a lesson.
Sounds like you could one of those telescoping magnet things to pick up pins. You can get it at the hardware store as carpenters use it to pick up nails. They work great as they can pick up multiple pins at once and you don't have to bend much. I usually use it from my sewing chair mostly but also to scan across the floor if company is coming.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:11 AM

Anyone visiting me can sleep on the futon couch in the living room and we can add a couple of single size air mattresses at odd spots like in front of the washer and dryer or between the sink and the china cabinet.
In my sewing room they'd have to sleep on the folding plastic cutting table and hope it didn't slide off the cinder blocks. Lol!
Not a good plan.