Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the one thing quilters do not hesitate to throw away >

What is the one thing quilters do not hesitate to throw away

What is the one thing quilters do not hesitate to throw away

Old 12-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

I keep a plastic bag taped to my sewing table to catch thread clippings, pieces from trimmed blocks, empty spools, etc., but I really need to be more vigilant about not hanging onto the small scraps that I know I will never use.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:09 AM

I throw away slivers and very small pieces of fabric. Yes, yes, I know I can make something of it, but life is too short for that. Sorry.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Usually I "toss out" unsolicited opinions about my quilts or designs. (I make them for me, not because I need 'outside' validation.)
Also bent pins
used needles
thread ends and clumps
scraps of paper
totally wampuss/what I consider irredeemable/mispieced blocks
the skinny strips from straightening a folded cut of fabric
old quilt magazines which have served my purpose (usually to the guild)
dull seam rippers! (My absolute pet peeve; they are so cheap, just replace the thing, for Pete's sake!)
dull rotary blades! (My next pet peeve, LOL!)

Jan in VA
I sew agree with Jan. I think she and I should get together and quilt!
Old 12-08-2013, 10:40 AM

My old used up ironing board cover!
Old 12-08-2013, 12:08 PM

What I see in my trash can at the end of the day (or week), whatever...
is "most all of the above". But always one additional thing...
used tissues, I have year around allergies. So annoying, but what can
you do? Just live with it and keep that old treadle moving. Just kidding there.
I did learn to sew on my mother's old treadle machine though. I had to learn
how to use an electric machine when taking Home Ec class in high school.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:13 PM

Thread when I have to rip out a seam, but I put it out for the birds. Needles go in an empty prescription bottle. Tiny fabric scraps. Fabric I no longer think I'll use goes to Goodwill or Savers. Wood spools from my Mom's collection of thread go in a glass jar to display. Most of that thread is non-usable, even after wetting or putting in the freezer. I haven't thrown out plastic thread cones, because 'some day' I'll use them as tiny Christmas trees.

Last edited by JoanneS; 12-08-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by applique View Post
I throw away just about all of the stuff already mentioned plus tons of tear away stabilizer from the back of my applique. Time is the most troublesome because it is often "wasted" due to procrastination. I actually went back to work because I get more done when I have to manage my time better and I love the interaction with other quilters!
Save scraps and use them on 'holes' in other scraps. You can use Floriani's Wet N Gone Tacky Tape to stick them together. It won't mess up your needle or your embroidery - though I always try to find a 'hole' and a scrap that are bigger than the embroidery I'm doing. I label the edge of the scrap with the type of stabilizer & toss all the scraps into one box. Stabilizer is too expensive to waste!
Old 12-08-2013, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch View Post
Receipts! I don't want anyone knowing how much I'm spending.
All else can be used or recycled, even down to the lint and tiny threads that's cleaned out of the machines are used by the birds to make nests.
How funny....receipts! I scan mine into a 'Neat Receipts' scanner so I can track my annual spending. It's a real surprise at the end of the year! But, I toss the paper receipts.

As for using old sewing machine needles to hang wall hangings, I'd be concerned a needle might come out and end up on the floor for one of our dogs to 'eat' -- one of our dogs actually checks out the quilt room for anything on the floor; does the same anywhere in the house. (Quilt police? we have the 'unknown-object-on-floor police' whether edible or not (aka: 4-legged vacuum cleaners).
Old 12-08-2013, 12:31 PM

I save the plastic spools and make them into "necklaces" foe the kids. They love hanging around when I'm sewing and they feel they are part of the project. When Nick was small he "helped" me sew and found a "magic button" that he carried around. I managed to convince him that if we sewed it to his blanket we would always have it. After some tricky negotiations we got it sewed to the blanket. I have been keeping my Jo-Ann fabric receipts as they show how much you "have saved"!!!
Old 12-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch View Post
Receipts! I don't want anyone knowing how much I'm spending.
All else can be used or recycled, even down to the lint and tiny threads that's cleaned out of the machines are used by the birds to make nests.

So true about the receipts! Ha ha ha ....

I tend to agree about the seam ripper. Get rid of it when it is dull. Also the machine needles and pins. I tossed a pair of scissors recently that just never worked right. It felt great! I would say that I will get rid of anything that doesn't work anymore or is fabric scraps that are too small to use. Paper from piecing, or old pattern sleeves when I buy replacements.

On the other hand some things that I save would make others laugh. Oh, the thrift shop gets a couple good sized boxes of patterns, fabric and accessories for sewing every year. Why not help feed and house the homeless? Then I don't feel bad about buying something I know I will use.

Same with my clothing and linen closets, kitchen cupboards, coat closet or garage. I learned after my parents passed that I didn't want my kids having to go through these castoffs and wondering why did she keep this?

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 12-08-2013 at 12:48 PM.