Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the one thing quilters do not hesitate to throw away >

What is the one thing quilters do not hesitate to throw away

What is the one thing quilters do not hesitate to throw away

Old 12-08-2013, 01:53 PM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Sales receipts for fabric... I don't wanna know!!
Old 12-08-2013, 02:20 PM

I throw bent pins, bad needles etc in a small prescription bottle. Then when I do need to hang something on the wall, that is the first place I go!So I guess I am recycling, my recycling! LOL
I started throwing out very small scraps of fabric, batting and stabilizer. When I redesigned my sewing room with new furniture I went through every piece of fabric and donated 2 large bags to St. Vincent de Paul. It was such a great feeling to donate it, know someone else would be using it and it was NO longer in my closet!
And... right now I am throwing away time while reading/typing this!! ROFLOL
OFf to complete more Christmas goodies!!
Old 12-08-2013, 03:19 PM

Bent pins, worn- out rotary blades, and sewing machine needles.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:15 PM

...my sanity!
Old 12-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by laynak View Post
...........As for using old sewing machine needles to hang wall hangings, I'd be concerned a needle might come out and end up on the floor for one of our dogs to 'eat' ............
ditto................... or that a human (or pet) might step on the needle.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:11 PM

I throw out very little also. I agree on tossing papers I use for doing math, etc. once they are full with no space left. I don't do paper piecing so that's not a problem for me. Thin fabric I use for foundations for my scrap strips. Really wonky blocks I take apart and repurpose the sections.
I toss receipts after I sigh with satisfaction upon seeing how much I have "saved". LOL
I pass on to others the things I don't use such as strings less than an inch, animal bed stuffing scraps (smaller than 1.5" sq), fabrics I don't have a need/use/liking for, selvedge trimmings, etc.
I try to use everything, as money is tight and I can't stand to be wasteful!!

I don't consider time I spend online, just relaxing or doing anything else I want to do (even if it's just doing nothing) as a waste. Downtime is a necessary part of taking care of me and I have long since learned to embrace the pace of my days in whatever form they take. Even if I am just sitting staring off into space, I am not wasting time, I am taking care of me, and probably getting ready to come up with a new quilt idea!!! LOLOL Hugssssssss and smiles!!!!!

PS: I do have to agree also with the comment about tossing away comments from the Quilt Police! Most especially unsolicited... the nerve! Of course, that doesn't include friends on the QB who might notice a wrongly placed block and tell me before it's too late to fix it!

Last edited by wildyard; 12-08-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:15 PM

Old pins with burs, old spools of thread (saved for 40+ years by my dear mil), snippets of fabrics, dog ears (I just don't get why those ladies on tv save them), empty thread spools, fabrics that tear easily....the house is up for sale, so I'm unloading all the crapola!!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Power Poster

If I saved everything that could be reused for something else my house would be nothing but a storage bin. I'll let others save it.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:56 PM

I just filled my trash basket with the precut sashings from an last year's quilt kit--it was terrible! Stiff, didn't really match the quilt block fabric AND dye bleeding so badly that no amount of"prewashing" made a difference! So bad that use handling it turned my hands red. So can't imagine ever trying to use it and sure don't want to trick someone else into using it.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by laynak View Post
As for using old sewing machine needles to hang wall hangings, I'd be concerned a needle might come out and end up on the floor for one of our dogs to 'eat' -- one of our dogs actually checks out the quilt room for anything on the floor; does the same anywhere in the house. (Quilt police? we have the 'unknown-object-on-floor police' whether edible or not (aka: 4-legged vacuum cleaners).
Those sewing machine needles I use on the wall are not just dull needles, they are broken. The sharp tip is gone, and there is usually plenty of shank left to pound it into the wall. If you have dull needles it should be easy to take a pliers and break off the tip and a half inch or so. I've never had one come out by itself, and they don't come out easily when I want to remove them. A little wiggling or a pliers does the job.