Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is one thing you have made and will never make again?? >

What is one thing you have made and will never make again??

What is one thing you have made and will never make again??

Old 12-23-2011, 09:22 AM

Prom dresses -- with 4 DGS I don't think I will be called upon. DD told me I may need to make some boy's dress pants and I told her she needs to keep her good job since even when I made tons of clothes for the family I drew the line at dress pants.

I have made over 100 receiving blankets out of a variety of flannels. I wash it first, then assemble. Only a couple of the blankets pilled. I must be lucky because many of the flannels were from JA's -- some from LQS. I do carefully check the quality of the fabrics -- I make sure it has a good hand, drapes well and has a firm weave. These are washed weekly. I guess I am lucky I have been able to pick some decent flannel.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:41 AM

Hello Linda, Our retreat group are scheduled to have a retreat in July with a Certified Judy teacher and this is the quilt we will be doing. Sure hope having a teacher makes it easier.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:06 AM

My granddaughter saw a quilt on the front of a magazine and asked me to make her one. I think it was a Spinning Star? Anyway it was curved and only one block and I later learned it was a tessellating quilt. When I look at patterns if that word is there I run.........actually, I would like to make another one with batiks (of the Star, not any other tessellating pattern). I did the one for my granddaughter with just regular fabrics and it was when I first started quilting. I overlooked the fact that it was listed as "Advanced". Took me 2 years to finish it but she was so proud of it, I was glad I did it.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:53 PM

As I have said several times in this site. Jacob's Ladder. I still have it down stairs waiting for me to take the quilting out of it. I did it in White and Navy. I would be chain piecing and then find out that I the wrong piece on top and have to tear them all apart.

I wasn't happy with the Log Cabin I made either.

Other than that I really haven't disliked any of the patterns I have made. Paper Piecing would be my all time favourite. Followed One Block Wonder/Stack and Wack.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:56 PM

I will probably never make another stack 'n whack, while it was fun and challenging for me, one is enough.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:00 AM

I made a quilt using fabric from sample books of home dec fabrcs from an interior designer. 100% cotton and glazed. THEN I used a thick loft batting. Threw the whole sewing machine out of kilter. Had to bring that one to the shop. Finally finished the quilt on my heavy duty "school machine." Actually looked nice after it was done. For the machne stitching in the ditch I used a wobble stitch. But regardless, NEVER AGAIN. I have a box full of charms that I made from the samples. They will go in a tablerunner or a wall hanging.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:24 AM

I doubt I will ever make a puff/quillo quilt again. Very time consuming, too heavy and time consuming for me
Old 12-24-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
If you bought low quality flannel from Joannes' then yes, you will see pilling like mad. Good, quality LQS flannel will look mch nicer and give you a great final product. I made the mistake of buying a ton of JA flannel last year at the Black Friday sale. I've made quite a few rag quilts with it and they look terrible:< Never again! Though, the rag quilts made with GOOD flannel look awesome.
I agree with Candace. For quilt tops or backing I always purchase LQS flannel. I often use flannel for the batting in table toppers and placemats. Joann's flannel is fine for that. I like flannel for this use because it makes the project less thick yet gives it stability.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:56 PM

I've made several quilts with Moda flannels and wouldn't spend the time, money or energy on anything less than a high end flannel. They wash and wear beautifully.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:55 PM

I'm working on a quilt made of neckties for a customer. NEVER AGAIN. The silk, all cut on the bias, all different textures, etc is a giant PITA.
I'm going to stick to cotton.