Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is one thing you have made and will never make again?? >

What is one thing you have made and will never make again??

What is one thing you have made and will never make again??

Old 12-28-2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Val in IN View Post
I will NEVER make another T-shirt quilt. After I got the lightweight fusible interfacing on the backs of the T-shirts, got the blocks sashed, and the borders added, I sent it to my LA'r. She called me back a few days later She got the sashings, and the borders done, but when she started quilting the T-shirt blocks, all they did was slide around and she could NOT make her LA machine quilt them. She gave the quilt back to me (absoulutely wouldn't let me pay her for the quilting she did) for me to hopefully figure out how to do the blocks, Apparently, the fusible had come loose from the backs of the blocks. NO WAY to fix them. I ended up handquilting them. Much like trying to handquilt a piece of plywood. After several bent and broken needles, and bleeding fingers, I finished it. NEVER AGAIN!!!
Ditto.
I made a 90"x90" T-shirt quilt for my son with 53 Harley-Davidson (plus other additions) blocks and will never do another. It was so big, rather than do quilting (or have it done) I used all the Harley custom buttons from my son's other shirts.
He loves it so that's all that matters.......but I am so relieved that no one else wants a T-shirt quilt.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:16 AM

I will never again take a Cotton Theory class. Sewing was fine - long and straight, my favorite kind of sewing, but the pinning through multiple layers about killed me. My fingertips were sore for some time after the one day class. After the soreness faded, numbness and tingling lingered in my fingers for at least 4 weeks! Never again! Anyone need my Cotton Theory Vol 2 book?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
A macrame plant hanger.
Oh no, macrame! That really takes me back to the old days of macrame plant hangers holding plant pots made from that sandy clay and randomly glazed...and macrame necklaces with beads made from old shells...
Wow, thanks for the trip down memory lane!
Happy new year, ghostrider!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned View Post
I will never again make a log cabin using cut pieces. As mentioned, way too tedious. I was foolishly convinced by purists that it is much better to use the pieces than to use E. Burns method. NOT. Both quilts looked exactly the same, but I had far more enjoyment making it using the E. Burns method!

As far as flannel, I don't know what to tell you. I have 3 flannel quilts, in use for 15 years, and none have pilled. All are quilt shop fabrics. I've one that uses Joann's quilter's flannel - only one of those has pilled. ALL the Snuggle flannel eventually pills - varies by color. I've never had a desire to make a ragg quilt, but most of the quilters around here seem to use regular cotton, not flannel. Flannel is mostly a backing thing.
What does Ellen Burns do with a log cabin? sew long strips and then cut them down and re-piece them? I'm doing Third Time Around which is cabin-like. Would love a shortcut Thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 10:26 AM

Ditto - though it took me 2 King-sizes before I realized that I don't want to make more!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

I made a quilt where each subsection is a quilted circle and those are then sewn together. What a PITA.
Attached Thumbnails img_0305.jpg   img_0307.jpg  

Last edited by MadQuilter; 01-01-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:53 AM

Wow, Martina, your version is one of the prettiest quilts I have ever seen! And this pattern has been on my bucket list for a while now... I'll be rethinking that one, lol!