Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What part of quilting do you... >

What part of quilting do you...

What part of quilting do you...

Old 08-22-2010, 04:30 PM

My only pet peeve about quilting is not have enough space lay out all my fabrics when I'm cutting out pieces. I'm a hand quilter and love the peaceful fellings I receive from the repeative rocking of the needle and viewing my handy work when my quilting session is through.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:30 PM

My only pet peeve about quilting is not have enough space lay out all my fabrics when I'm cutting out pieces. I'm a hand quilter and love the peaceful fellings I receive from the repeative rocking of the needle and viewing my handy work when my quilting session is through.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Midwestmary
Originally Posted by RST
I do not enjoy the stretching, layering, sandwiching, basting choreRST
Me too :roll:
me three... i think its because my knees hate being on the floor that long!
Old 08-22-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by katcincinnati
Cutting out is my least favorite.
i love cutting...i find it almost meditative... especially when i get to be alone in my sewing room, which doesn't happen often...

alone, no radio, no tv on...just me & my fabric in the quiet... but with dd & ds, ddil, dgks & dh... doesn't happen often enough!
Old 08-22-2010, 05:50 PM

Yep, it's the binding, I find it a bit sad because it means I am done, and can't decide which one I want to do next, so many I want to do, and have fabric for, but which one to start next is a hard choice. Once I get started, I can't stop though.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:01 PM

I think I love it all. Its not about the destination, its all about the journey
Old 08-22-2010, 07:21 PM

With me, it's kinda like each portion that I complete before I have to sit it aside. I do have several projects going at one time, but if I really need to finish it up, the I try to make sure I do only that one project on my good days until it's finished or I am. One or the other. Binding is not the easiest part for me as I usually end up bringing the back fabric folded twice over to the front of the quilt and using a pretty stitch or not so pretty if it's for a boy, to give it a tidy finish. Of course that's after I do the quilting. Mostly easy stuff unless it's a really special quilt and then I count all the change in my hidie spots and have a wonderful woman finish it up. But, with a smile. my most favorite part of quilting is when you first start laying out the fabrics on the table and seeing them in the eye as they would appear all stitched together. To me that is the greatest feeling of quilting right up beside giving it as the gift to the one I made it for. I am not in the top 1000 top quilters by a long shot, but no matter where the bo-bo's are hidden, each person has always received it with genuine appreciation. Can't get any better then that. One other thing.. I just want to mention that you ae pretty nice group of people. Even if I am off line for bit, I still feel comfortable coming back in.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Laura3
Same for me....I hate the pinning on the floor part...And I am not sure why I always get winded when I am doing it. Its not like its a work out or anything... It must be my attitude about it. I love all stages of the process except that.
One night after leaving choir practice I found a church member sandwiching and pinning a quilt on the tables in the church hall. She'd pushed two of them together to make a big enough surface. So, if you have access to a church hall, school cafeteria, or other meeting place that has folding tables, ask if you can occasionally use the tables to work on your quilt. It sure beats trying to find a clean spot on the floor, getting up and down, and beating up on your knees. Plus, people stop and admire your work and make you feel like a wizard.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:19 PM

I don't prewash my fabric as I buy mostly whole bolts. Otherwise I love, love, love it all. Planning, shopping, cutting, quilting, binding and snuggling.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:19 AM

I too like doing binding in that method Katesnanna. I have a DVD from Ricky Timms. He shows you how to do it, so instead of 4-10 days it only takes me about 4hours. I do not like getting on the floor to pin the quilt before I machine quilt it. My osteo-arthritis is bad lately that and cutting fabric hunched over the table. I have not had it raised up yet which I will do after I clean up the room.