Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What part of quilting do you...

I really depends for me. If I'm having a hard time with the piecing or it isn't looking like I wanted at any stage I tend to get frustrated and don't enjoy it but the opposite is true too. If the fabrics are looking even better together than I expected or the quilting is coming along nicely I'm enjoying it all.

binding corners they never turn out right

Blog Entries
    I absolutely love it all, except BINDING! UGHHHHHHH! If I could sew by hand, I would probably love it.

I dislike turning and handstitching the binding. I have a whole pile of quilts all quilted with the binding sewn on just waiting for that final step!

I hate making the "sandwich". I tend to baste rather than pin and it just seems to take forever.

I hate the seam ripper!

I hate the seam ripper!

Yep undoing my mistakes is my least favourite....and sometimes I get overwhelmed by the sheer volume of blocks to be made. Note to self "new mantra...I will construct quilts with larger blocks"

My shoulders don't like the cutting out part!

Binding is my least favorite part of quilting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady-T
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    I hate the quilting part. I'm strictly a piecer. Like the song says, I don't quilt by hand or machine, I quilt by check! LOL
    lol - DITTO here!!

I really enjoy hand stitching the binding. I use tiny stitches (approx. 10-12 per inch). I find it very relaxing.
    ((ok so I'm odd :roll:))
    No, you're not odd! I love doing the binding. I sit in my rocking chair (truth) (in the house) or the glider (truth) (on the patio) and Miss Bess has to lay down on the quilt as I stitch. It is a very warm comforting feeling and I time to reflect on the quilt I just finished. I love the stories behind each quilt, like telling about the badger under the shed at our son's 10 acre farm, or the stray peacock that graced their yard, pasture and chicken yard and how birds moult and poor Napoleon (the peacock) lost all but four tail feathers and didn't make it across the highway because he couldn't fly and met his demise in front of their place -- but not to worry, Napoleon became a father and there are more peacocks roaming the fields to carry on his legacy of tormenting chickens, scaring goats and serenading our son and daughter in law under their bedroom window at 2:00 in the morning. That is why I write a "book" on each quilt I make, right down to a picture of Bess laying on the quilt. Provenance and fun stuff that happens in our family! Edie

I like it all, but the quilting is the most difficult for me. I have a very small home with no area large enough to actually baste the quilt. I've seen a video on how to baste on the wall and may have to give that a try. looked interesting.

After I posted another reply I was thinking about this...once upon a time--I had a very neat sewing room and a room in the basement full of nice neat fabric arranged....now I seem to have less time to put everything back where it belongs... Oh yes, I know if I put it right back where it belongs this won't happen but time, even a few minutes, some days escape me. Guess finding the right piece of fabric now is a challenge and I really don't like looking for it as it takes up so much time.

Labels are my downfall. I love, love, love picking the fabrics.

Least favorite part is actually making the "sandwich". Love the other parts, from planning to the actual quilting. Even doing the binding doesn't really raise my hair

Me Too- that's why I pay my quilt guild to baste it for me--then it's off to my favorite part--hand quilting! I've quilted five bed sized quilts by hand.

Washing, drying, and ironing fabric is really a drag. However, if you get a supply of skirt hangers (the hangers with two clips for pants and/or skirts), you can wash your fabrics, then hang it up. It will dry almost flat (at least flat enough not to have to iron it until you get ready to cut it). A three yard piece of fabric will hang really well on a skirt hanger without a problem.

I wash multiple fat quarters in a lingerie bag. These I also hang on hangers and dry flat. You can clip three or four fat quarters on one hanger and they will dry fairly quickly. Also will be almost flat.

Dkm
    I don't like putting the sandwich together. Not enough table space and can't get on the floor. I don't quilt larger items, but do wall hangings, and that wears me out. Love to hand sew binding on.

1. Borders
    2. Sandwiching

Love the piecing and really love to hand sew the binding. That's so soothing to me. Don't know what it is about borders. Seems I have to measure and measure and measure and then I come up 1/4" that I just can't make fit. Same thing with measuring the backing..particularly if I have to piece it. I think I must have a mental thing with measures...

Blog Entries
    I'm surprised at the number of people who don't like binding. I love it because it means I'm almost finished and can move on to another quilt. The thing I don't like is not getting enough hours to do the quilts I want to do.
    For those who do the quilt sandwich on the floor, ( I only did my first quilt like that) I have an inexpensive table ($50.00) with fold up legs. It is 6ft long and about30" wide.
    When I need to pin a quilt I bring in 4 bricks place one under each leg and it's a perfect height. I've cleaned them up and intend to make quilted covers for them. (Saves hurt toes.) Also perfect if I have lots of cutting to do. I'm lucky enough to be able to keep mine up but these tables fold flat so can be stashed.
    I've only ever sewn one binding by machine as it had piping and was sewn on the back first then sewn in the ditch beside the piping. I was so happy with the result but know I wouldn't be if I sewed an ordinary binding by machine.
    I guess to each his/her own way. Just wish I'd discovered quilting 20 years earlier than I did. I still live in hope of learning to hand quilt.
    Happy quilting

OK girls i love everything about making quilts i guess i like making the backing the least but i have a long arm an love it most of my quilts are 120 inches.
    happy quilting crella

I don't know that I hate any part, but the top stitching probably makes me the most nervous and impatient. By this point I want to see a final project, because I LOVE the piecing part and want to see the fruits of my labors so to speak. :)

Blog Entries
    I would say that I hate the cutting part, I also do not enjoy the sandwiching and basting part.

Blog Entries
    Love all aspects of quilting, but I have a hard time making a label and attaching it. I want it to look nice, but at the end I just want the quilt to be finished.

Blog Entries
    My favorite part is the hand quilting. I love to see how it looks when I make the first few lines of quilting. It gives the quilt such dimension.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast