Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: What part of quilting do you...

I think I love it all. Its not about the destination, its all about the journey

With me, it's kinda like each portion that I complete before I have to sit it aside. I do have several projects going at one time, but if I really need to finish it up, the I try to make sure I do only that one project on my good days until it's finished or I am. One or the other. Binding is not the easiest part for me as I usually end up bringing the back fabric folded twice over to the front of the quilt and using a pretty stitch or not so pretty if it's for a boy, to give it a tidy finish. Of course that's after I do the quilting. Mostly easy stuff unless it's a really special quilt and then I count all the change in my hidie spots and have a wonderful woman finish it up. But, with a smile. my most favorite part of quilting is when you first start laying out the fabrics on the table and seeing them in the eye as they would appear all stitched together. To me that is the greatest feeling of quilting right up beside giving it as the gift to the one I made it for. I am not in the top 1000 top quilters by a long shot, but no matter where the bo-bo's are hidden, each person has always received it with genuine appreciation. Can't get any better then that. One other thing.. I just want to mention that you ae pretty nice group of people. Even if I am off line for bit, I still feel comfortable coming back in.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura3
    Same for me....I hate the pinning on the floor part...And I am not sure why I always get winded when I am doing it. Its not like its a work out or anything... It must be my attitude about it. I love all stages of the process except that.
    One night after leaving choir practice I found a church member sandwiching and pinning a quilt on the tables in the church hall. She'd pushed two of them together to make a big enough surface. So, if you have access to a church hall, school cafeteria, or other meeting place that has folding tables, ask if you can occasionally use the tables to work on your quilt. It sure beats trying to find a clean spot on the floor, getting up and down, and beating up on your knees. Plus, people stop and admire your work and make you feel like a wizard.

I don't prewash my fabric as I buy mostly whole bolts. Otherwise I love, love, love it all. Planning, shopping, cutting, quilting, binding and snuggling.

I too like doing binding in that method Katesnanna. I have a DVD from Ricky Timms. He shows you how to do it, so instead of 4-10 days it only takes me about 4hours. I do not like getting on the floor to pin the quilt before I machine quilt it. My osteo-arthritis is bad lately that and cutting fabric hunched over the table. I have not had it raised up yet which I will do after I clean up the room.

Hey how about how all of a sudden your CAT needs all the attention possible.
    They do love quilts I was handsewing a binding on and here he comes without fail and plop right down on my lap.

Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    I hate the quilting part. I'm strictly a piecer. Like the song says, I don't quilt by hand or machine, I quilt by check! LOL
    This is me 100%.

I "hate" the sandwiching and basting so that turned me against the quilting part real fast.

I love the cutting and piecing to make the top. Doing the binding is ok but not my favorite thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady-T
    I hate the quilting part. I'm strictly a piecer. Like the song says, I don't quilt by hand or machine, I quilt by check! LOL
    lol - DITTO here!!

I really enjoy hand stitching the binding. I use tiny stitches (approx. 10-12 per inch). I find it very relaxing.
    ((ok so I'm odd :roll:))
    I love hand stitching the binding. I tie knots at each stitch. It's a trick a friend taught me when I started quilting. I can do bindings anywhere and is relaxing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady-T
    lol - DITTO here!!

I really enjoy hand stitching the binding. I use tiny stitches (approx. 10-12 per inch). I find it very relaxing.
    ((ok so I'm odd :roll:))
    Loved your comment:-) I'm odd, too!!!!!!!!

I don't like the basting, pinning or needle & thread. I want to get to the quilting, but I am learning good basting is so important to the end result.

Quote Originally Posted by betc
    Hey how about how all of a sudden your CAT needs all the attention possible.
    They do love quilts I was handsewing a binding on and here he comes without fail and plop right down on my lap.
    ha ha in my house the cats stay away its the dogs when i lay out something on the floor my pug thinks i layed it out just for her she loves to have a blankie on the floor she used to lay with the babies when they were little on their blankies.

i really don't enjoy the quilting. i send out the bigger than baby quilts, but i'm not very good at the quilting. maybe if i get better.....

I like the piecing. HATE the binding. I have several quilts that are all finished, except for the BINDING!

Which song are you talking about gaigai?

I love setting the tops quilts because that's where the fun begins and quilting is the hard part so put that off until better qualified :lol:

i was laying out a large quilt top on the floor and had the rows marked with sticky notes. my Maine Coon Angie went ripping through there dancing around on my blocks. when she was done, she had a half dozen sticky notes stuck to the tufts on her feet. then i had to chase her down to get them off her. frustrating at the time, but now it's funny.

Well, you gals that don't like the binding....because of all the stitches...may want to try silk thread just to do that hand part of the binding...I hear it goes through the material just like a hot knife in butter. It may be worth the $'s to try it and find out. A lady who has quilted many years told me that it makes the job bearable...

It's the quilting part that has gotten me in a rut right now. lol. I have several quilts that are ready to be sandwiched and quilted. I don't mind the binding. Any takers on the quilting? lol Pretty soon I'll be able to afford to send them out. :)

I love it ALL!!! I find the entire process very satisfying!!!

I love each process also just get very frustrated when it comes to the corners when hand stitching the binding on the back side I want them prefect and seldom are.

What I like least is giving the quilt away! I have worked hard and either I really love them because they turned out wonderfully or I hated it and I'm embarrassed that someone else will see it.

MNM

I like it all, the cutting, sewing and seeing the 1/4" seam come out perfect and the fitting together of all the pieces. I love to put the binding on too. I am just begining to quilt my own. I have been sending them out to a friend that is in the business. Most of my quilts have been King size and I could not do that on my machine. I am doing large lap quilts and I am finding that I do enjoy the quilting part.

MNM

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I think I least like the "last half" part. Piecing or quilting the first half is exciting, challenging, fun. Then by the time I get to the second half I'm at the point of being bored with it and just want it to be done----at that's the part that's my favorite!
    I agree....until I am really close to finishing, then it gets fun again. I don't like cutting, maybe because my cutting table is fairly small. I love hand work, applique, hand quilting, hand sewing the binding on.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6