Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the primary purpose of a sewing retreat? >

What is the primary purpose of a sewing retreat?

What is the primary purpose of a sewing retreat?

Old 01-12-2017, 08:01 AM

I've never been to one because they are to far away, my sewing room is my retreat, this board is my chocolate!
Old 01-12-2017, 08:25 AM

I've only gone to two retreats and doubt I will go again. I'm quiet and need time away from folks. My husband says I could be great hermit. I loved the opportunity to get new ideas and but was disappointed at how little I got done. I also don't sleep well and that was an issue esp sharing a room with several gals. So for me the plus is being pumped up to try new projects. The rest was disappointing.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:43 AM

I went to the my 1st retreat last September and I found myself getting more done than I could I home though I live alone. But as someone else stated, something is always calling you away from your sewing machine. Plus when I know I'm going to one I start pulling out those UFO's and projects that have been waiting for such a long time to start and decide to take one or two of them along. If I do get to it, I'm happy, if I don't, oh well. I still have a grand time chatting with other quilters. I'll always take a hand project such as binding to do so at night I'll walk around the various rooms of sewers, sit down and chat while I sew on my binding. Very relaxing to me. Plus I don't have to cook or do dishes while I'm there.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:05 AM

Paper princess THAT WAS PRICELESS!!!
Old 01-12-2017, 01:37 PM

I've thought about retreats but I have a customer facing job and I sew to get away from people I can see the appeal though.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Usually someone cooks for you. There's no laundry calling you. There's no one asking you where you put his chain saw oil. Like you actually have used it, then hid it.

OMG! Thought that I would split my jeans laughing!!! Are you sure that you don't live at MY house???
Old 01-12-2017, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by PatriciaPf View Post
Other than socializing, why would you pack up half your sewing room, spend extra money, and go somewhere else?
I'm in your camp on this one. Perhaps because I already sew once or twice a week with a group. And since it's just my DH and myself, I have all the time in my sewing room that I want. I have no desire to go on a retreat, even though everyone I talk to enjoys them, and encourage me to go.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:56 PM

I certainly can't convince you if you feel that negative about going to a retreat. For me, I get quilts completed, start new ones, get ideas from all the quilts being made, learn how other people do things in a better way (technique, tools), start new hard things without interruption. Two groups I go with found lower costs. One, we rent a closed convent ($50 each for the weekend) and each person is assigned part of a meal to bring/make. The other group, we go to a converted boarding school and they provide meals/lodging/a huge space we leave set up for a reasonable cost- three nights $200, two nights $165.
I plan my projects so they are like a kits in plastic zipper bags, so I don't haul lots of big stuff. I use a collapsible crate from Office Max with wheels and a handle for all the projects and sewing accessories, a machine, a small folding side table, a suitcase, a portfolio case for rulers. I don't think that is unreasonable or bulky. I always come back with many things finished and a healthy amount started. And being around wonderful people who I learn so much from.
But if your mind is made up against the hassle and cost of retreats, so be it. I need them.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:58 PM

If retreats didn't meet the needs of a lot of people, there wouldn't be retreats. Obviously. many find them fun and rewarding. They can be a social outlet, an escape, a place to learn, a place to accomplish for those who enjoy that type of venue. I enjoy meeting with a group on a local basis, but don't enjoy packing up and sleeping in a strange bed. Isn't it wonderful there are retreats for those who enjoy them and the rest of us can make other choices? And it is okay either way. This principle applies in a lot of areas of life. We are all different. Everybody doesn't like strawberry ice cream.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:05 AM

I'M WITH YOU! I have attended ONE quilting retreat; probably never again. As a disclaimer, I live alone, and have an absolutely LOVELY Quilting Salon. Everything is at arm's length. If there was food, water, and a toilet in there, I'd never come out! But . . . I thought I'd give a quilting retreat a try. . . .

Well, you're right. I have an SUV, and the trunk looked like I was moving to Alaska! You don't realize all the different tools you use until you have to pack them up! The social aspect was okay, but I'm a focused quilter, and too much chatter about "home issues" can take you off point and slow you down tremendously. Also, you have to get up to go to ironing stations. At home, I simply swivel my chair, and I'm there! Another thing I experienced is so many asking for help. I helped, and my own work got pushed back.

I'm not bad-mouthing retreats. I think it's wholeheartedly for some; not for others.