Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to purchase? >

What to purchase?

What to purchase?

Old 01-01-2011, 12:17 PM

I think the strip cutter is probably more trouble than it's worth and I don't think I would use the AccuQuilt for anything but rag quilt squares.

But I LOVE playing with EQ7! I am so happy to be able to preview what my quilt will look like with my own fabric, move squares around, change fabrics, print all kinds of charts and an image of the quilt top.

It helps me figure out when I have enough of each fabric, and when I'm short on something, I can go find something similar and preview it in place. I can re-size patches and blocks to make use of pre-cuts like honey buns or charms that I already have on hand. The program contains thousands of different quilt blocks or I can draw my own. I can see how blocks look with different sashing and cornerstones or with alternating blocks. It will give me templates or foundations for paper piecing or rotary cutting charts. If I print the yardage requirements, I can take it to the store with me as a shopping list and each fabric has a little thumbnail image to remind me of what the fabric looks like.

Any time I see a pattern that I like, the first thing I do is start imagining what fabrics I would use, and figuring out how to turn it into something easier to piece. I LOVE EQ7 for this! I don't use a tenth of the programs capabilities - I signed up for a class in advanced EQ and I hope that will help me get more fluent with this program. It's not real easy to learn, but gosh, is it ever cool to even be able to operate the basics! :)
Old 01-01-2011, 01:30 PM

I would go for the EQ7. I don't mind cutting fabrics and can't see spending that kind of money for the different dies.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:36 AM

You can use any sort of drawing program to make designs for quilts - Corel draw is one example. I have EQ5 and I like it, but like my cutting system better as it assists with my art quilts and is not as limiting as a set program.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:51 AM

I love my EQ and use it regularly to audition colours and layouts as well as printing my blocks for paper piecing, templates, or rotary cutting charts. I wouldn't use the Go for the quilts I'm working on, but it really depends what type of quilting you do. Obviously both are very popular!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by LastGrandma
I have accumulated some cash to spend on quilting this holiday season. And can't make up my mind as to what I want to buy. I have enough to get the EQ7 or the AccuQuilt Fabric Cutter or the Simplicity Fabric Strip Cutter. What to do? What to do?

I am not an artsy quilter, but love to make all kinds of quilts and things. Don't know that I would use the EQ7 to it's fullest, but would it help me that much with original quilts -- photos turned into quilts or landscape quilts? (I am very computer literate and am married to a guy that can help me if I get stuck; so no concerns there.)

AccuQuilt Fabric Cutter would be helpful with accurate cutting of triangles and other applique shapes, but I see the dies as a real budget killer.

The Simplicity Fabric Strip Cutter does not seem to be real sturdy or stress free. And I usually can cut my strips accurately.

So now that I have written this out, it appears that my choices are really between the EQ7 or the AccuQuilt Fabric Cutter.

Which would you chose and why? I am so torn. Thanks for any help you can give me....
Personally I like the hands-on approach to design; playing with the fabric and moving it around and doing a schematic. I have a disk of quilt design that I have never used, came free with a book. I might go with the fabric cutter. I kinda thought of getting one, but would want a motorized one because of my non-bendable wrist and weak hands due to arthritis. I think I would take the money and buy some really special fabric.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:13 AM

Get the EQ7. You can scan your stash into it and play with all the quilt blocks either already in the program or create your own. It does have a learning curve, but the lessons and videos are awesome. Plan on playing for hours. Once you get into it - its hard to stop!! LOL This is something that you'll be using for years.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:17 AM

I'd wait on both, if you have money to spend but don't have something screaming your name as a "I just have to have it or else" it must mean there is something you'd want even more right around the corner.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:33 AM

I have the accuquilt . I love it you wind up buying more dies.Its very easy to use budget buster) but I cut all my strips on it. I want to get the E q 7 but need to wait on the money Diane C.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:39 AM

I have the accuquilt . I love it you wind up buying more dies.Its very easy to use budget buster) but I cut all my strips on it. I want to get the E q 7 but need to wait on the money Diane C.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:39 AM

My vote would be for the EQ7. I upgraded from EQ6 to the EQ7 version, so have had this software for a while. I love being able to play with the different block patterns or draw my own. Then with the ability to print individual piece cutting directions, or templates or even paper piecing patterns, I find that this program is invaluable. There are also all sorts of 'companion' programs that you can get to go with the EQ software.

I also thought about the Go, but for the present time, I will just keep on cutting with ruler, rotary & mat.