Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to purchase? >

What to purchase?

What to purchase?

Old 01-02-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by LastGrandma
I have accumulated some cash to spend on quilting this holiday season. And can't make up my mind as to what I want to buy. I have enough to get the EQ7 or the AccuQuilt Fabric Cutter or the Simplicity Fabric Strip Cutter. What to do? What to do?

I am not an artsy quilter, but love to make all kinds of quilts and things. Don't know that I would use the EQ7 to it's fullest, but would it help me that much with original quilts -- photos turned into quilts or landscape quilts? (I am very computer literate and am married to a guy that can help me if I get stuck; so no concerns there.)

AccuQuilt Fabric Cutter would be helpful with accurate cutting of triangles and other applique shapes, but I see the dies as a real budget killer.

The Simplicity Fabric Strip Cutter does not seem to be real sturdy or stress free. And I usually can cut my strips accurately.

So now that I have written this out, it appears that my choices are really between the EQ7 or the AccuQuilt Fabric Cutter.

Which would you chose and why? I am so torn. Thanks for any help you can give me....
I would get the EQ7. I have the June Tailor Shape Cut Plus and find I get great strips of all sizes with it. With a JoAnn's coupon you can get it very reasonably.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:59 PM

Just buy fabric!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 06:52 PM

Open Office is a free downloadable package with word processor, spread sheet, design and draw program, etc. Design to your hearts content, have a good time, it's easy. However, nothing I've tried compares with the EQ programs. (I have several draw programs which I use for other things too,) The learning curve is awkward, but well worth the time spent playing with it. My Sizzix cuts fabric too, but I found a lot of waste associated with it, and elected against the Accucut devices on that account. The strip cutter is OK, but by the time I get it set-up and adjusted, I'd be through cutting with the rotary cutter.

My vote is cast for you to get the software.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:58 PM

I spend hours on the computer on my quilt programs, and probably an equal amount of time on my Accuquilt cutting out those patterns! Sorry, not much help, lol!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:08 PM

Everything I have read about the EQ7 sounds good to me, I have been thinking about that one myself. I would be leaning to pick that one.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Banned

it comes down to do you like to make YOUR quilts, or just make copycat (cookie cutter cut outs) quilts?

I have the die cutter and dies, and the EQ7 and I still prefer the EQ7...for many reasons!

one more thing to consider, is that Ellison, the makers of sizzix, is bringing out 2 cutters for quilting that are going to blow Accuquilt out of the water....#1- they are easier to use, #2- they are cheaper to buy, #3- they will take any and ALL makes of dies...Accuquilt can not even interchange its own dies within their machines....
Old 01-02-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
The only thing I can say is cross the Simplicity cutter off your list. Check the threads about this machine.
The Simplicity Fabric Strip Cutter does not seem to be real sturdy or stress free. And I usually can cut my strips accurately.

So now that I have written this out, it appears that my choices are really between the EQ7 or the AccuQuilt Fabric Cutter.
I'd spend the money on more fabric or new rulers. you can spend a lot of time on EQ--and then you would have less time here on the board. as for cutters, how often do you cut out a whole quilt ? and how long does it take you ?
yeh, money better spent on fabric.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:34 PM

I am not an artsy quilter, but love to make all kinds of quilts and things. Don't know that I would use the EQ7 to it's fullest, but would it help me that much with original quilts -- photos turned into quilts or landscape quilts? (I am very computer literate and am married to a guy that can help me if I get stuck; so no concerns there.)
You don't need EQ to create landscape quilts. Here's a FREE program do
do just that. Have fun. :D

http://www.vam.ac.uk/microsites/quilts/patchwork
Old 01-02-2011, 07:35 PM

I would choose the EQ7, it has a LOT of possibilities. There is so much I could do from my computer with that one. And I can cut with a rotary cutter
Old 01-02-2011, 07:52 PM

If it were me I would go with the Accu Quilt. The EQ7 may take some committment to learn to fully use, and strips are the easy part of cutting. Definitely the AccuQuilt.