Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What quilting related items have you had to sneak in the door?

YUP!!! No idea!!

Banned
    He doesn't need to know since he thinks quilting is a waste of time. Those of you who have supportive husbands--cherish them!!!!!

I just love this. My DH asks, "Well what did you find and what does it look like." I work at home for our business, but I also work 2 part-time jobs that is my fun money. One time I came home and he said, "I bought a new truck and I said ok, I bought a new sewing machine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Holiday
    In 46 years I have never even thought about hiding any purchase from my husband.
    Me either. We have been married for 42 years . We are both retired. His hobby is golfing and going to the cruise nights with restored old cars and my hobby is sewing. We each spend money on our hobbies without hiding anything from each other. I don't think I could live very comfortably if I had to hide anything from him or sneak anything by him.

My hubby has no idea how much I spend or buy, but he could care less. I come home and feel guilty because I buy so much and make so little. Just love the fabric. He does take interest in what I am making though. He never says anything about all the fabric all over the place. He just moves it aside to sit on the sofa. We live in our 40' motorhome 6-8 months every year. When we are at home in TX, I have a sewing room. When home in MN or elsewhere I am in the motorhome.

My husband says Quilting is:

You take a big piece of fabric, cut it up into little pieces, then you sew it back together... what sense does that make?

He is the first to tell me about sales though. He found on Craig's List, 3 cutting boards, one with the ironing flip side, and 4 rulers, all for $30. I did get them and they are in great shape. The girl's mother passed away and she had no idea or desire to know what they were.

My fabric, machines, etc. take up two bedrooms and the machinee part of the dinning room. My quilting frame/machine are in the back bedroom with half my stash. So no, I don't have to hide anything, my hubby takes me to the fabric store or anyplace I need to go pertaining to it. Thank goodness, I was married to man I had to hide everything from 30 yrs ago and promised myself never again:)
    hugz:)
    Candi

Mine doesn't care. He gets what he wants for the boat and the van and I get what I want for the house. No sneaking here!

My husband doesn't care how much I spend on my quilting. He encourages it. He built me a beautiful sewing room. We just took our 35th anniversary trip and went to Montana. He made sure I got to every quilt store in Western Montana.
    On the other hand he is an avid collector of Railroad memorabila and has a whole basement full of his train stuff. So he really can't say much.
    He has his hobby and I have mine. Together we have our cars. We take cruises with our local Mustang Club. We got to car shows all over the northwest. We took my Shelby to Montana and had the top down 95% of the time. Summertime we play with the cars. I quilt when the weather is bad.

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    When you live in an RV everything is out in the open. No secrets. He drives us almost every place we go. He also does 90% of cooking, dishwashing, laundry, vaccuming, etc. And no you cannot borrow or rent him! LOL We've been together for 27 years. I have a jewel.

my hubby loves it that I quilt and takes me to get everything I need plus he just bought me a great sewing machine..:)

Blog Entries
    I've been known to sneak fabric in after DH goes to bed, but not because of money issues. He just will occasionally complain about "How much fabric do you need." He doesn't get the concept of quilters needing lots of fabric to choose from. It could be worse. We have a winter place in FL and I don't keep a stash there. I bring some fabric down each year. Although I do have to buy more there too sometimes for a project. Can you imagine if I had a full fledge stash in both places.

It seems like fabric is the thing to sneak into the house. I know he has no idea how much I have. He went with me the other day to the local Quilt store and I found charm packs on sale for $5 a pack and bought 5 of them. He asked why did I need so much fabric to make 1 quilt...lol I just looked at him and shook my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyn
    Not a problem, he knows it keeps me off the streets and out of the bars. :)
    LMAO, good one !!!

When I was an educator I used to tell the ladies in my seminars that I never bought more fabric than I could fit into my breifcase to go home at night. I put it in the closet and if DH noticed me working on something new I could honestly say, "It was in my closet." LOL

I used to be very pathetic! When I worked at USF I figured out what time the UPS man arrived at my LQS & would take my lunch so I could see the fabric as it was delivered! True story! I spent so much time there (and money) that finally the dealer asked me to go to work for her. She said, you sell most of my machines anyway, why not get paid for it? I did and later when we were transferred to another state, Pfaff hired me as an educator.

And it all started with fabric! LOL

A new quilting machine and a quilting frame. Unfortunately the frame is apart, I just dont have the room for it. I am contemplating selling it. :o(

Blog Entries
    Nothing...husband encourages me to buy fabric when on sale as "don't know when they will raise prices". Even drives me to fabric stores. He is very supportive.

What is DH? (I'm kinda out of it when it comes to initials....)

:D Welllll I did just once & got busted so I do not even think of hiding it now. I might get my tail chewed a little for spending so much money in 1 month, but I just let it roll off of my back and continue on. :D A girl has to do what a girl needs to do. And I need a good supply of Cotton at all times. :D

Once I had 3 huge orders back to back from Quilt in a Day Store. He was there each time the UPS doll delivered them. The last order was probably over the top so he asked me to cool it for just 1 month. Okie Dokie. :wink: He left to go out on a job for a few days & QIAD still had a great Sale going so I decided what the heck....put in a final order for that month. So I did & it was a doozy. Of course I got busted when the credit card bill came in. :D But oh well, it was oh so worth a little tiny lecture. :D After that, I explained that if he did not want me going behind his back, he would just not say a word when I did order or go shopping. It has worked. I think the hellion in me just does not like to be told to not buy anymore Fabric. :D

I forgot to say that I did go on a Machine buying spree once. He rolled his eyes & asked how many more was I planning on obtaining. :D I sweetly replied "Well fabric is much cheaper so which do you prefer?" He has never made any comment since. He goes with me and happily helps me choose & pick & quietly carries around bolts. :D He is a thread-ho. :D :D :D The thread he has for the LA is unbelievable since he only quilts for me & my Mom. :D

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    I hide it all in plain sight...LOL.

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane3
    What is DH? (I'm kinda out of it when it comes to initials....)
    Dear or Darling Husband

Sometimes those expensive rulers make him cringe! I bought a small 2 1/2 inch square one for $9.00 and he just about fell over! He's a good sport though1

it isn't a DH cause i don't have one BUT i do have a DD that always says, mom do you really need that, you have enough to start your own Joanne's!!!!!!

Ok... I am thinking that I dont have to sneak anything in the door anymore...my DH just bought a brand new Harley Motorcycle. Am I right or am I right???? LOL

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast