Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What quilting related items have you had to sneak in the door?

Never really had to sneak anything in, just wasn't as open about fabric purchases as I am now. My husband now works for 2 different quilt/sewing stores as machine tech. He is actually starting to take an interest in this wonderful hobby.

No sneakin' here! He loves to support me. We joke that I get $25 in supplies for each football game he watches. So, ladies, it's football season and I'm in hog heaven! For my birthday we were in SLC, and he had googled a quilt shop and took me there for a surprise! I have great supplies and stash, but most of all, HE IS THE BEST!

Before we moved to this house, DH went in the attic, came back down and said"do you know you have 2 boxes of fabric up there? answer -YES - "his reply-" don't buy anymore until you have used those up". I sure didn't invite him to look in the closet in my sewing room!!!!!! Now I have a big (17x13) room with lots of storage under the steps. Maybe I should go count the boxes sometime. On occasion, he knows I buy fabric, as the sewing machine, etc. goes with me in our travel trailer. Actually, that is a great time to cut out quilt pieces. I've made more than one quilt while traveling..

How do you spend that much money on a machine and yet he doesn't know you have it? I have 4 machines-one my husband bought me years ago and 3 I have inherited.

I don't hide anything from DH as he finds it anyway. but everytime I bring in more fabfic he has a little grumble about it, so I just say how much have I spent on you getting you set up in business. a lot of my kitten money went on machinery for his business, so he really can't complain.

I just wish my husband had a hobby other than being a couch potato. Oh, I forgot, he does have one with his mother. Its called "going to the grocery store" At least 2 or 3 times a week, sometimes more. The most important piece of paper in our house are the grocery ads. At least I always have a project or two going, not to mention my books in every room.

My husband and I don't have any kind of joint account. So we have never had a fight over money. Boy, we would have if we had a joint account. My husband loves his toys. 2 boats (at once) 2 of everything in the scuba line, 2 cars (just his). I could go on and on. So my fabric isn't much compared to his stuff. Although I'm glad he never found out about my jewelry buying spree on GemsTV. Thankfully they are off TV now.

I do not sneak anything in, if I want it and can afford it I get it--he does the same thing. No problem in our house except space.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead
    When you live in an RV everything is out in the open. No secrets. He drives us almost every place we go. He also does 90% of cooking, dishwashing, laundry, vaccuming, etc. And no you cannot borrow or rent him! LOL We've been together for 27 years. I have a jewel.
    So it's true - the good men are all taken!

Been married for 28 years to my second husband and hoping for many more years together. When the subject of how many times I've been married comes up, which is rarely, I always say "I learned from my mistake. The first one taught me to appreciate the second."

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I can't sneak anything in because I don't have money, but when I did work, I never hide anything from hubby unless it was for him, as a matter of fact I would walk in and say look what I bought. It has been a very long time sience I got to say those words. God bless.

My husband also takes me to the fabric stores and waits patiently for me in the car...and never asks how much I spent.

He bought me the Bernina 200 Artista sewing machine when we retired. It knows more than I do about sewing, lol.

After 38 years DH us definately a KEEPER!!

Don't have to hide anything.

Power Poster
    My DH tells me I don't need to buy any more fabric.

I tell him he doesn't need to buy any more cigarettes.

We listen to each other equally well.

Quote Originally Posted by Conniequilts
    I am lol-ing at this question. I am happy to say that I have not had to sneak any quilting stuff in the house.

Maybe we should be inquiring as to creativity to getting it in?? :)

Happy Quilting
    I have my own money and do not need to smuggle any thing in. I usually show DH some of the things I do bring home.

Banned
    whilst I too have my own money do have to sneak some things in especially quilt tops I buy, husb thinks I have far too much stuff around including reading books, he works p/time ,does occasional jigsaws and collects GB stamps so his hobbies take little room compared to mine .

Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    what ever i bring in doesn't stay a secret for long.

my husband earns all the money and pays all the bills.

lucky for me he never really says anything.

2 months ago i spent about $600 on quilting stuff and all he said was

"someone had a great time shopping this month"

Just about up to $600 for the month, yikes! Much much more than my usual. My dh just shakes his head this month!

Blog Entries
    i am finally chiming in here, have been skipping over this topic for days, it started right out distressing me, just reading the name of the post. i am sorry, very sorry for anyone who feels they have to sneak their purchases in the door...it just seems like such a negative thing. like there are big problems? you should not be spending the money? you are going to put your family in financial ruin with your quilting addiction?
    it really sounds like a problem.
    i guess in lots of ways i am very lucky. first off, i would never consider 'hiding' a purchase of any kind (outside of gifts hidden until the day)it just seems dishonest.
    i not only tell my hubby but i show my hubby everything i buy. he has been shopping with me plenty of times he knows what things cost, and he doesn't worry about it, as long as the bills are paid i can spend my extra money how ever i want, he does. i do not 'dip' into the household budget to feed my addiction, i support my quilting habit with quilting. most of the family helps with gift certificates for gift giving occassions so i can get those things i never want to spend my money on.
    but, the only time i would ever hide a quilt shop purchase would be if i was going to make something for my hubby and him seeing what i bought would clue him in. other than that i can not imagine being 'sneaky' ...does not seem like a positive action to me...and nothing good can come from it

There are some fabulous replies here, just fabulous! I may need to borrow some if I keep my spending up for the month! When is it going to stop? All these great sales at this time of the year!If I don't buy it at 50% off when can I buy it? At least that is what I tell myself and dh!

Sneaking stuff from your spouse is trouble - with a capital T....very much like lying and we all know that never works. We have been married 60 years next August, and I know it is just better to be straight forward...with everything, especially the use of money.

I am very lucky, I have a husband who supports my quilting addiction..so I show him all my purchases......

Quote Originally Posted by JJs
    My DH TAKES ME TO THE fabric store!
    Goes with me to look at machines - loads them in the car after I get them...
    Made his ownself a lapquilt!

I guess after 45 years (in Dec) we can do that!
    Yup after 51 years he will drive me to the store and wait outside in the car and read while I shop! He knows I buy and is mildly interested, but just sighs occasionally about the quantity of it. His really big issue is BOOKS, so I usually don't wave those under his nose!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i am finally chiming in here, have been skipping over this topic for days, it started right out distressing me, just reading the name of the post. i am sorry, very sorry for anyone who feels they have to sneak their purchases in the door...it just seems like such a negative thing. like there are big problems? you should not be spending the money? you are going to put your family in financial ruin with your quilting addiction?
    it really sounds like a problem.
    i guess in lots of ways i am very lucky. first off, i would never consider 'hiding' a purchase of any kind (outside of gifts hidden until the day)it just seems dishonest.
    i not only tell my hubby but i show my hubby everything i buy. he has been shopping with me plenty of times he knows what things cost, and he doesn't worry about it, as long as the bills are paid i can spend my extra money how ever i want, he does. i do not 'dip' into the household budget to feed my addiction, i support my quilting habit with quilting. most of the family helps with gift certificates for gift giving occassions so i can get those things i never want to spend my money on.
    but, the only time i would ever hide a quilt shop purchase would be if i was going to make something for my hubby and him seeing what i bought would clue him in. other than that i can not imagine being 'sneaky' ...does not seem like a positive action to me...and nothing good can come from it
    Right on CK

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAJAMK
    My DH has no idea how much fabric is in this house! How about you?
    Nope, never had to sneak it in but I do get lots of "don't you have enough fabric already". How much is "enough" I ask?

I don't have to hide anything from DH, he's my most avid enabler. He's never said I have too much (which I do) and is always trying to get me to try new machines. He's a keeper

Quote Originally Posted by boosgmom
    I just wish my husband had a hobby other than being a couch potato. Oh, I forgot, he does have one with his mother. Its called "going to the grocery store" At least 2 or 3 times a week, sometimes more. The most important piece of paper in our house are the grocery ads. At least I always have a project or two going, not to mention my books in every room.
    Omg, Boo!!

Sorry but I almost spit coffee on my monitor after reading this. Your not married to my brother are you?...........LOL

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast