Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What sends you back to your favorite LQS? >

What sends you back to your favorite LQS?

What sends you back to your favorite LQS?

Old 10-13-2009, 01:03 PM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

My local quilt shop that is only 5 minutes from me always make me feel like an intruder into their "kingdom" and they don't even have very much material...
I even took a class to try to get into the "click" and that didn't work...

The fabric store that is almost 45 minutes away in Racine Wisconsin (have to go to another state for crying out loud!)
Has wonderful people that work there, friendly and helpful and they have classes out the ying yang!
You ladies know it is a great place since my HUSBAND likes it there also!!
(they kid around with him and he eats it up!!!)
Wish they were all this good!!!!!!
(Elmwood Fabric Gallery if I can put in a Plug!)
Old 10-13-2009, 01:43 PM

We have two GREAT quilts shops here in our little town, which is amazing in itself!! They both are great ladies and have wonderful classes. Neither of them carries the same fabric line, which is a plus. Both women are so helpful and friendly, somedays I just go there to say hi. The one shop owner calls me everytime she gets new fabric in! I love it, but my hubby doesn't!!!!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:13 AM

I enjoy going into a quilt shop and seeing the finished project on the wall of classes they are offering. Sometimes they even have kits available if you want to use the same colors.

I like being able to have someone help me pick out colors for a quilt. They seem to have an eye for it and you won't get help like this from say, Joanne's. etc.

The block of the month classes are fun and it motivates you to sew.

If I need help with a project, I can get answers to how to sew it, fix a problem, etc.

My LQS has sewing sewing on Friday nights once a month from 6:00-10:00 and you bring a snack to share, and sew in a group setting. There is someone there to help you get that UFO finished that has been sitting forever on the shelf at home. It is fun and gets you motivated.

I prefer a friendly staff that lets you browse at your leisure but not follows you around like you are stealing. They are willing to help you when asked and not looked like an imposition I have seen at other shops.

I think speaking in a foreign language to each other when they can speak perfect English is rude. I don't think I would be shopping at that store. JMHO
Old 10-14-2009, 11:44 AM

Being new to this, I didn't even know that our smallish city had a quilt shop until a couple months ago. After reading all the replies I realize just how lucky I am- they are all nice, friendly, helpful, you name it. They don't have a super large selection but I think they have every batik shade you can think of. My only complaint is that they cut their fat quarters a little wonky. Or maybe I'm wonky and don't know it. :lol:

Plus they hung up a quilt of mine. I think they did it so I'd keep coming back. :-)

I also need to add that what the shop lacks for in selection of threads, there are a couple of other mainstream fabric stores that have a nice selection. I hate the Hobby Lobby here and only go there in desperation. The manager over the fabric department looks ticked when you take a bolt of fabric down, like she doesn't want to bother with putting it back up.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:37 PM

Well, they do have a wonderful fabric selection. But I live in a town with six LQS in addition to several Joann, Hobby Lobby and Walmarts with decent fabric selection.
But I go back to my favorite (Quilt Beginnings) because everyone is so friendly. They are just as nice to me when I buy 1/2 yard as they are to the person who buys a whole quilt. All the staff are quilters, their work is what hangs on the walls and inspires me.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:57 PM

I live in a rural mountainous area just 6 miles outside of town to the nearest Quilt Shop. Our quilt shop is really a success story, in that it's only been in operation for one year now, and in this economy, is still thriving. What do I think makes it a success?

The owner and her employees greet you right away, not just because they know me, they treat strangers that way, too. :) They make you feel glad you're there, always ready to help with whatever you need, but never breathing down your back. They're even nice to kids! :thumbup: They have a small buggy there for toddlers to push around while Mom shops to help keep the little ones entertained.

You can count on these gals being genuinely concerned about you, whether you're needing "fabric therapy" as the Store Manager calls it, lol, or a shoulder to lean on. They are experienced in sewing and quilting and make a point to keep up on new fabrics, notions, books, etc. Some will make it to Quilt Market each year bringing back with them fresh new ideas and techniques that will translate into new fabric purchases, displays and classes, while continuing to offer many of the staple items that us quilters have come to depend on.

This quilt shop reaches out to the community in a variety of ways, often donating their time, treasures and talents to locals in need. An impromptu sew-fest was called to order one day when a local family lost their home to a fire. New cuddly and warm quilts were made for each family member when several customers gathered at the quilt shop to sew for this devastated family. They also support breast and ovarian cancer folks by having locals make blocks to be made into quilts.

We are fortunate to have a plethora of talented women in the community (including store employees) who avail themselves to teaching and sharing their knowledge in a vast array of classes. Classes are reasonably priced, held in the comfort of a nice classroom where laughter and stories are just a part of the ambiance.

This quilt shop also provides BOM and other classes as well as UFO nite and other fun opportunities to get together, be productive and have a good time doing so.

There is even a "husbands corner", complete with a comfortable place to sit, where the guys can look at manly magazines (sports, etc.) and chat with whomever they wish. Since many folks live miles away, it isn't uncommon for both spouses to come into town together.

Our shop is well known due much to word of mouth sharing, but they also advertise in the Country Register and do send out newsletters to those who sign up for them.

I too, have been asked to hang a quilty project in the shop. It is great advertisement, as many of us quilters are visual in nature. I get the biggest bang out of hearing that because my piece hung there, most of the bolt of the panel fabric has been sold. The more they sell, the more they can bring in!! :wink:

Who am I talking about? Our shop is "Nuts & Bolts Needleworks" located in Woodland Park, CO., just about 1/2 hour drive from Colorado Springs. They also sell knitting and embroidery supplies, and have a great selection of batiks and flannels as well as cottons.

Congratulations Marcia, Marybeth, Linda, Sandy and Paulette!! Looking forward to many prosperous years ahead! Keep doing what you're doing, because it's working!! :D

Happy quilting,

Karla in CO