Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4
Results 76 to 94 of 94

Thread: What sewing machine do I buy?

  1. #76
    Senior Member hokieappmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by STAR
    sounds like mine he is always trying to get me to buy something but I am the one looking at the price tags!! once I get going then he can get me something bigger! :lol:
    Good for you!

  2. #77
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,763
    Quote Originally Posted by hokieappmom
    Most definitely! He also let me get the quilting frame at the same time!
    You're so lucky. By the way, have we seen a close-up of the quilt in your avatar? I like what I see. Is it a kaleidoscope? Or are those stars?

  3. #78
    Senior Member hokieappmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    Quote Originally Posted by hokieappmom
    Most definitely! He also let me get the quilting frame at the same time!
    You're so lucky. By the way, have we seen a close-up of the quilt in your avatar? I like what I see. Is it a kaleidoscope? Or are those stars?
    Thanks so much. The pattern is called Tilted Squares and it was my first time paper piecing., which I really enjoyed once I got the hang of it. I'll see if I can attach another picture. I made it for my daughter that just graduated from college. She picked out the material and you can tell she likes bright colors. I tend to go be drawn more to traditional and dark colors. I didn't know how it would turn out, but it's actually my favorite of all the quilts I've made. Now my son, who graduated from Virginia Tech in 2007, wants one in VT colors, which are orange and maroon. He's picked a pattern with lots of tiny pieces that calls for about 35 different fabrics. You can imagine how hard it is to find that many fabrics in those colors ( he said I could use other colors, but he prefers most to be VT colors), especially ones that are masculine. I've bought the fabric, but am almost afraid to start it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #79
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,763
    Quote Originally Posted by hokieappmom
    Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    Quote Originally Posted by hokieappmom
    Most definitely! He also let me get the quilting frame at the same time!
    You're so lucky. By the way, have we seen a close-up of the quilt in your avatar? I like what I see. Is it a kaleidoscope? Or are those stars?
    Thanks so much. The pattern is called Tilted Squares and it was my first time paper piecing., which I really enjoyed once I got the hang of it. I'll see if I can attach another picture. I made it for my daughter that just graduated from college. She picked out the material and you can tell she likes bright colors. I tend to go be drawn more to traditional and dark colors. I didn't know how it would turn out, but it's actually my favorite of all the quilts I've made. Now my son, who graduated from Virginia Tech in 2007, wants one in VT colors, which are orange and maroon. He's picked a pattern with lots of tiny pieces that calls for about 35 different fabrics. You can imagine how hard it is to find that many fabrics in those colors ( he said I could use other colors, but he prefers most to be VT colors), especially ones that are masculine. I've bought the fabric, but am almost afraid to start it.
    I love it even more seeing the close-up. Gorgeous. And I can imagine your dilemma with the 35 fabrics. Did you go with all the ins and outs of oranges and maroons? I would think you could range from the almost-yellow of the yellow orange to the dark brownish maroons....and anywhere in between. I made a "pink" quilt for my GD#1's h.s. graduation. Went from the palest of pinks to the darkest of maroons. It was really nice. Lot of HSTs. Have lost the pattern, darn. Would love to make another one. It was in an old magazine.

    The choice of colors in your avatar quilt is really nice. :thumbup:

  5. #80
    Senior Member hokieappmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    746
    Thank you for the compliment. And your suggestion on the shades is what I tried to do for DS's quilt. I need to make a design board so I can play with the fabrics before I sew them. Do you have a picture of the "pink" quilt to share?

  6. #81
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,763
    Quote Originally Posted by hokieappmom
    Thank you for the compliment. And your suggestion on the shades is what I tried to do for DS's quilt. I need to make a design board so I can play with the fabrics before I sew them. Do you have a picture of the "pink" quilt to share?
    Unfortunately I don't. I will continue to look for the magazine with the pattern. I don't generally throw anything away, so I feel sure that it is here somewhere. Does that say anything about my housekeeping?

  7. #82
    Super Member quiltmom04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,877
    I'll bet a lot of us could say the same thing about OUR housekeeping! :D

  8. #83
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,763
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltmom04
    I'll bet a lot of us could say the same thing about OUR housekeeping! :D
    Whew ! You mean I'm not the ONLY one? :lol:

  9. #84
    Junior Member Sandra Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    179
    the machine I use the most is a JANOME 9000 I bought it used from a sewing machine dealer, a lot of times you can get a very nice used machine because someone else wanted to trade for the newest, and a sewing machine dealer will have the best selection, plus they will probably service it before they sell it. I would be sure and ask them to do that.

  10. #85

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,301
    does anyone use a babylock? the fabric store closest to me only sells that brand.

  11. #86
    Senior Member zkosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    677
    Wow, that quilt is beautiful! Do you remember whose pattern it is? I would love to put that on my list. :D

  12. #87
    Senior Member hokieappmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by STAR
    does anyone use a babylock? the fabric store closest to me only sells that brand.
    I have a babylock serger and I've been very pleased with it, much more so than the Singer.

  13. #88
    Senior Member hokieappmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by zkosh
    Wow, that quilt is beautiful! Do you remember whose pattern it is? I would love to put that on my list. :D
    Don't know if you meant mine or not. The pattern is Tilted Squares and it's a paper pieced pattern. I don't remember what company made it, but I can check when I get home tonight and post it then.

  14. #89
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6
    I sold my Bernina and got a Janome because I prefer the drop in bobbin. The B is also an expensive machine to own. Everything costs. The Janome you can afford to buy accesories for. I have to say, I'm very satisfied with the Janome but wanted something to do fancy sticthes with.
    I just bought a Brother for fun and have fallen in love with it. I got it at Walmart because they are so good about returning things. The price is unbelievable for all the things that came in the package. It weighs under 20 Lbs anad has 60 fancy stitches and a drop in bobbin and a extention table etc, etc. Oh ya, also a walking foot! For under $300!!!!!

    Check it out :!:
    Granny Greenie

  15. #90
    Senior Member zkosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by hokieappmom
    Quote Originally Posted by zkosh
    Wow, that quilt is beautiful! Do you remember whose pattern it is? I would love to put that on my list. :D
    Don't know if you meant mine or not. The pattern is Tilted Squares and it's a paper pieced pattern. I don't remember what company made it, but I can check when I get home tonight and post it then.
    Oh yes, I really do like your Tilted Squares quilt. :D I'm thinking I might really like paperpiecing, too. Is this too hard to start paper piecing on?

  16. #91
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6
    I had one of those once and it was a great machine. One day I got up in a hurry and caught my foot in the cord pulling the machine off onto the floor. I was pretty sure I had ruined it but it never missed a beat. You can't ask any more than that!

  17. #92
    Senior Member hokieappmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by zkosh
    Quote Originally Posted by hokieappmom
    Quote Originally Posted by zkosh
    Wow, that quilt is beautiful! Do you remember whose pattern it is? I would love to put that on my list. :D
    Don't know if you meant mine or not. The pattern is Tilted Squares and it's a paper pieced pattern. I don't remember what company made it, but I can check when I get home tonight and post it then.
    Oh yes, I really do like your Tilted Squares quilt. :D I'm thinking I might really like paperpiecing, too. Is this too hard to start paper piecing on?
    The pattern is by Fiskars. If you can't find it, let me know. My main problem was that it didn't include the amount of material needed for each piece, so at first I was cutting them too small. I'm sure there are easier patterns to learn to paper piece with, but if I can do this one anyone can. I really enjoyed it once I got the hang of it. I

  18. #93
    Senior Member zkosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    677
    Thanks, Betsy. I'll check it out. I have done something similar with students. I had them measuring from the edge of a square of paper and when you go through the steps it looks like your quilt. I guess it appeals to the geometry teacher in me! :wink: :D

  19. #94
    Senior Member hokieappmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by zkosh
    Thanks, Betsy. I'll check it out. I have done something similar with students. I had them measuring from the edge of a square of paper and when you go through the steps it looks like your quilt. I guess it appeals to the geometry teacher in me! :wink: :D
    You're welcome. Good luck and be sure to post pictures.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.