Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What size fabric do you store and what do you use? >

What size fabric do you store and what do you use?

What size fabric do you store and what do you use?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by Deborahlees
I have all my 2 and more yard piece neatly rolled on mini bolts on a shelf. These are what I can use for backings.
and yes I have a note on each one as to how big it is.... any thing under 2 yards have been sorted by color into plastic draers. all standing on end so I can see a color in a glance. Do have "specials" in boxes like all my christmas prints or all my 'fancy' like satin and velvet..all flannels seperate...and label, label, label...can never ever label too much. I use the post it labels that are stickly all over the back....
I don't know what the long term effect of stickies are on fabric - I DO know that masking tape leaves icky residue and sometimes a yellow stain.

I would put the label on the BACK of the fabric - just in case - and as close to a "corner" as possible.
Sticky labels are for the boxes and plastic drawer front. when I put a 'note' on fabric I use plain paper and pin on
Old 06-07-2011, 09:04 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I keep everything but selvages.. This is how my room is organized..

These are in tubs no matter what size they are:
Holiday- each holiday (xmas, 4th, halloweenie, easter, etc) have its own tub
Flannel
Vintage fabric (35in xWOF)- all goes in one tub
Authentic 30's feedsacks

All my Bolts (3+yards) are on the bookcase and in walk in closet.
All my 1-2 yards cuts are ruler folded, then separated by color on bookcases

Batiks are in a sterilite three drawer unitl seperated by light med dark..
Fqs are separated by color, floral, novelty in it's own sections on wall cd racks, closet maid shoe organizers.. Each area has its own 'theme' so i can find what I'm looking for.

My scraps are in specific see- thru bins, tubs and drawers depending on size..

Each Accuquilt Die cut shapes have a sterilite drawer all of its own
strips less than10 inches but longer than 5 inches of has a a sterilite drawer all of its own
Strips longer than 10 inches but less than WOF has a sterilite drawer all of its own
2 inch strips are hanging on the back of the door
1.5 x wof has a sterilite drawer all of its own
2.5 x WOF strips has a a sterilite drawer all of its own
3x WOF strips have a sterilite drawer all of its own
5x WOF strips have a sterilite drawer all of its own
all other strips x WOF are separated by colors and has a sterilite drawer all of its own
Crumbs have a sterilite drawer all of its own
Scraps less than a fq but larger than 6x6 has a sterilite drawer all of its own- these are waiting to be cut with my Accuquilt
2 in sq have a sterilite drawer all of its own
3 in sq have a sterilite drawer all of its own
4 in sq have a sterilite drawer all of its own
5 in sq have a sterilite drawer all of its own

And that's how my room is organized..

I followed Bonnies method.. www.quiltville.com.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

I don't precut. Not a fan of the precut shapes because I like the process of cutting for each project. Any scraps - small odd shapes go into the scrap container (a tall clear plastic bin with lid). All other pieces are folded and stored (generally) by color in clear plastic bins with lids. Then I have some that are more specific (kid fabric, floral, christmas...)
Old 06-07-2011, 09:17 AM

I agree, no pre cutting. what if you change your mind....I will leave the piece however it is and sort by color and type....I think easier to preview with a larger piece.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:52 AM

Wow, sounds like you have it under control.

I'm new to quilting and so far I'm doing any piece over the size of a FQ on a shelf, wrapped around an Easy Core board.

FQs are in a clear shoebox sized bin.
Smaller than a FQ are in a clear shoebox sized bin.
Three clear shoebox sized bins contain dark, light & Xmas scraps for future use.
One L clear bin for flannel.
One L clear bin for fleece/batting scraps.
One L clear bin for Xmas fabric.

Every thing else is at the store waiting for me to buy it!

I wish I lived near you, I'd love to come help....I just LOVE organizing! Best of luck with your "fabric movement"!

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee
I'm delving into my stash to make it more user friendly for me. Based on books and articles I have read here are the following categories of sizes, shapes, and colors suggested to store and how to store: yardage, strings, strips, blocks, bricks, chunks, charms, chips, fat quarters, cakes, jellyrolls, strays; colors, like colors, darks, light, everything else or medium, value, season, and theme. Storage: bins, boxes, shelves, zip lock bags, baskets, and drawers.

I have neatly stored yardage on shelves. All material folded the same way allowing for width in variance and info for yardage pinned to the fabric, such as, 3yds or 5yds or whatever the amount may be.

Anything 2 yds and under has been folded approx. to a 6X4 size to fit into clear plastic containers, all color cordinated in the appropriate container and stacked to be easily viewed.

From the 2yds and under group, I'll be cutting fat quarters. The remaning fabric from a fat quarter size will be cut in to blocks, bricks and strips. The block sizes I mostly use are; 8 1/2, 5, 3 1/2, and 2 inch squares. Strip sizes, 1 1/4, 2, 2 1/2 inches. I am hoping this will work. I want to start moving my huge stash and I think this will help. What sizes do you use? I am going to go outside now and think about all this while I am doing yard work. I'll come back later to read what you all may have added and hope I can muster the courage needed to get the job done. I really appreciate the help and encouragement received from you. Love you I do.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:11 AM

Wow! Busy quilters. I have enjoyed reading your responses. I have decided to not cut into the 2 yard pieces based on some of the suggestions received. However everything under 2yds gets the blade. I have found if I don't cut something up - it doesn't get used. It sits there waiting for some quilt somewhere in time and is not being much help for me today. Yard work gets an hour or two of my time, housework gets an hour, meals maybe and hour. Quilting gets the rest. Well not quite, I have a large family lots of grandkids and a husband so there ya go. But today, I'm cutting fabric.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:25 AM

I would not cut ANYTHING up into smaller pieces. It would be just my luck that when I want to use a certain piece of "cut up" fabric, it would be maybe 1 inch short! If I need small pieces, I'll cut what I need from a larger piece.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:05 AM

My fabrics are all stored by color (sub divided by batik, print, or solid; silks, wools and fused fabrics are separate) in 27 quart clear frosted bins...lots of them. :oops: I have a very large stash and yet I can lay my hands on whatever I want within minutes. As long as I can do that, I see no reason to change anything. Nothing is cut before I use it and all pieces of the same fabric are stored together.

I obsess about too many other things, fabric storage just isn't worth adding to my list! :lol:
Old 06-07-2011, 12:22 PM

My question still is what sizes of fabric do you use the most?

Scraptherapy, Cut the Scraps, by Joan Ford
Rotary Cutting - Books by Anita Grossman Solomon
Scrap Users System - Bonnie Hunt
Scrap Control - ?
Fabric Storage - Benita Skinner
Old 06-07-2011, 12:26 PM

Rhonda - I can't honestly answer that. For me, it depends on the project what size I use.