Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What size fabric do you store and what do you use? >

What size fabric do you store and what do you use?

What size fabric do you store and what do you use?

Old 06-07-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee
My question still is what sizes of fabric do you use the most?
Scraptherapy, Cut the Scraps, by Joan Ford...Rotary Cutting - Books by Anita Grossman Solomon...
Speaking for myself :-) I pretty much cut as I sew. But unless I expect to use something as a backing, if I have a large piece of yardage I do make one cut in advance. If you don't happen to launder your fabric, read no further.

Before starching and pressing a washed and dried fabric length of one yard or more, I tear it lengthwise down the middle, so each piece is no wider than 22". It will easily fit it on the ironing board and later on the shelf. I have never run out of fabric from splitting up the yardage. I've only made my life easier by not having to deal with a large piece of fabric. It's comparable to pressing a pillowcase instead of a sheet.

Anita

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-08-2019 at 03:22 AM. Reason: link is to own site
Old 06-07-2011, 09:44 PM

Anita I really have to thank you for making my life in the quilting world a little more simplified. I have used your methods and it really makes me smile. I love using fabric that has been laundered, starched and ready for piecing. Thank you for your wonderful brain and sharing your ideas for our benefit. Love you and your books.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:38 PM

All my stash is sorted by color unless it is a specific type like upholstery, duck, etc. I never cut any until I am ready to use it. So all the bins that house my stash have different lengths of fabrics but all the same color in it. I label the bins so that I know what kind of fabric or color is in it. In case someone is coming to stay in my guest room (which is my sewing room otherwise), it's a quick dash to stuff all the pulled out fabrics into a bin quickly and stored in my storage shed. Yikes!!! Good luck with your organizational project!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:50 AM

Just when I get things organized I have to go digging for something. So, oooops. Mine is never organized for long.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:33 AM

I agree with the many others who have suggested not to cut the longer lengths of fabric. I have mostly 1 yard and up pieces, very little fat quarters. I like to be able to take a piece of fabric and cut it into what I need, when I need it. Too many times, a fat quarter isn't big enough.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:11 AM

I finally decided to bit the bullet and buy fabric organizers. Everything from 1/2 to 4 yds are on them. I now can see fabric I didn't even remember I had. Best money I ever spent.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:19 AM

once you are organised life will be sooooooooooooo easy. Well done.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:43 AM

I don't precut anything except odd shaped scraps from GD's play clothes. I cut those into 2" strips and square the ends. FQs (approximate) go in one cabinet; over FQ gets labeled with quantity and goes in another cabinet by color.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I fold everything half yard and bigger. FQ or smaller pieces go into drawers
I do the same thing. I have all my smaller pieces wrapped around cardboard and put into color cordinated boxes. The bigger pieces are wrapped onto 6x9inch boards and stored in plastic drawers for easy to see the fabric at a glance. I always buy more that 1 meter if I have the money for the fabric on special.