Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what size long-arm frame? >

what size long-arm frame?

what size long-arm frame?

Old 08-14-2015, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
I can put it on casters to roll to the wall when not used.
I'm placing this question to other longarmers out there: I always thought you had to make absolutely sure the longarm was level, is this possible with casters?

*stroking my chin and filing this under "things that make you go hmmmm"*
Old 08-14-2015, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

If you have the room, I would goo for a 12' table. Most all quilts will not use the entire length but those ends are great areas for keeping tools, notes, and anything you might need while working on the table. I am glad I got the longer table.
peace
Old 08-14-2015, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I'm placing this question to other longarmers out there: I always thought you had to make absolutely sure the longarm was level, is this possible with casters?

*stroking my chin and filing this under "things that make you go hmmmm"*
I have wondered the same thing. If your room is perfectly level, it makes sense that you could roll the longarm around on good quality casters. But if your room is not level, it seems to me that it would be a problem.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

I have a friend, a professional long arm quilter, who's machine is on casters. Casters are used to move the machine out of the way when not in use. She doesn't quilt in 17 different places in the room, she's got the floor marked for her specific spot for her quilting area. So the frame is balanced for that spot and just moved out of the way when not in use. She has a Gammil & the frame is very ridged & sturdy and seems to make the trip just fine.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I have wondered the same thing. If your room is perfectly level, it makes sense that you could roll the longarm around on good quality casters. But if your room is not level, it seems to me that it would be a problem.
nothing in this room is perfectly level! House built in1803 (not by me LOL!!!!) and the wide pine boards, still with original paint, are lovely but the whole house is a bit off kilter even without considering the boards! PaperPrincess's idea sounds good but this might still be a challenge. Maybe hubby could build me a little 25x15 foot addition!!! Kind of a garage for the new machine which costs as much as a car!
Oh dear.
Well more thought is needed.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:56 PM

Yes, Peckish is right. You don't want to roll the frame around unless the floor is perfectly level. With all the HQ's I've set up, a level floor is a rare and wonderful thing.

When I get my HQ, it will be a 10' frame. I can always divide and conquer a King size quilt -- If I make any kings, it will be one, for my own bed.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:02 PM

I agree with the others... get the 12' frame. I have a 132" zippers on my frame and I love it. I have a mid-arm the Avante and when I put the Pro-Stitcher on it changed my quilting life. I say go for it and get one that you can upgrade to robotics later, so you have options.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

I would get the 12' frame and have it assembled when the frame is put together the first time. I bought a 10' frame with the 2' extension. When they were setting up the frame and machine I told them not to add the extension (we would add it later). BIG MISTAKE! We had to completely dis-assemble everything to add the extension to the MIDDLE of the frame (we thought it went on one end). But now we know how to set it completely up, machine and all!
Old 08-16-2015, 12:12 PM

If you have the room, definitely get the 12' frame. Welcome to the club. I don't have any suggestions about casters.

What brand are you getting? Other than a maybe a 14' or a custom size, I don't think Innova charges extra for a 12' and it looks 12' is standard for a Gammill.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:50 PM

I have casters on mine and roll it around to clean under it. I haven't had any trouble. I do have a pro-stitcher on it so I mostly run the robotics on it. I have done some FMQ from the front with my micro handles and no problem.