Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what size long-arm frame? >

what size long-arm frame?

what size long-arm frame?

Old 08-16-2015, 07:19 PM

Get the 12 ft ...I just happened to measure my leaders tonight as I had a very wide backing that went the entire width...128 inches...but you do lose a few inches for the machine head...when I bought my machine 3 years ago the 10 and 12 ft frames were the same price...
Old 08-16-2015, 07:51 PM

Go with a 12'--I have a 14' and have only needed the huge size a couple of times, but definitely use the "12' " span as I sometimes will put quilts one going lengthwise for ease of quilting. also, mine has casters but quilt in my basement and have office type carpet on the floor and there is no way I can actually move it--it's a beast! I have friends that have 12' and due to room size, have them at an angle in the room to allow space around one end and front/back. Love my long arm so if you can--go for it!
Old 08-17-2015, 06:17 AM

I concur with the 12 foot frame if you have the room. Even if you don't do many large quilts, you will be happy to have the extra room on either side for maintainence. I would not hang on to the idea of disassembling part of the frame to make it smaller temporarily. Most frames with a long arm set up have solid poles (mine are the length of the frame) and a table that comes in two pieces. That puppy is not going anywhere. I had to have it delivered thru the window. My quilting room is around the corner and the poles would not make the turn. I had a smaller frame (table top) to begin with that had poles that you put together. I found it was not sturdy enought to hold the size quilts I wanted to make. Just something to consider.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
I would get the 12' frame and have it assembled when the frame is put together the first time. I bought a 10' frame with the 2' extension. When they were setting up the frame and machine I told them not to add the extension (we would add it later). BIG MISTAKE! We had to completely dis-assemble everything to add the extension to the MIDDLE of the frame (we thought it went on one end). But now we know how to set it completely up, machine and all!
I sw a machine on line which had exactly that - 10' with 2' extension and I thought exactly the same thing! Easy to add on and remove as needed. Hah! Good heads-up there, thanks.