Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What size of quilts do you make? >

What size of quilts do you make?

What size of quilts do you make?

Old 01-16-2015, 03:26 PM

I tend to make large lap/twin or wall quilts. It's a win-win. I get to make something useful and beautiful. Plus my quilter's ADD is satisfied(i.e. I get to move on to the next one sooner). :-)
Old 01-16-2015, 03:54 PM

Lately, I've made mostly twin sized quilts. I have no desire to quilt anything larger, on my DSM.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:49 AM

I make quilts in all sizes. Usually, after a long stint with a queen/king size, I will do a couple of baby/lap sized easy quilts to relax with. I always have a list of projects to work on -- the hardest part is choosing what to do next!
Old 01-17-2015, 06:00 AM

I make quilts in all sizes, from baby quilts to king sized. I have found that my girls, who all have queen size beds, prefer the big ones....100x100. That way when they are in bed and snuggling under the quilt with their mates, everything stays covered and warm. I have been making some utility quilts with 10" squares of scrap fabric, double batting, and whatever I can find in the stash for the backing. The double poly batting makes for a very warm quilt and the girls love em! I do all my own quilting on my Janome 6600.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:45 AM

I like to make table runners! they are easy and less fabric and doesn't take as much room to store. It seems everyone loves to get one of these that are home made!
Old 01-17-2015, 10:52 AM

I make all sizes, too. Most of the baby quilts I make are bigger--around 50-62. I do not know what they end up that size...it just seems like that is the size I make them. I do how ever want to start making baby quilts smaller. Till I can buy the packaged 45 x 60 batting, and not be cutting up bigger battings for them.

I tend to start with an idea for a quilt and just wing it. This one I started with just making little 4-patches. Then later I decided to use them as the corners of 9-patches, and it just went from there and I really liked the result. Not all are as good as this.

I have made two or three that are approximately 90 inches square...I have made one that was 87 inches square..and have made others that fit a full bed but probably most people would use as a twin. I don't like a lot hanging down so I know I am different in that.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:25 PM

Queen-sized guilts or baby quilts. Most patterns come out nicely just adding additional rows of patches to achieve the size you desire. Graph paper is helpful.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:31 PM

I make mostly lap/nap size quilts as I hand quilt and work full time, so it takes me usually about 8-10 months to complete one. I made one full size bed quilt and worked really hard on it and it took me 11 months to complete. After that, I realized I had to be realistic about my time and settled on the lap/nap size.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:45 PM

When I first started quilting (30+ years ago), I mostly did lap quilts (45x60). They were a good size for me to learn the basics, plus they weren't too bulky to quilt on my DSM. Then I went on to twin sizes as my kids grew up, then I did larger ones, when I found a local LA'er. 6 years ago, I got my own LA. Now, I mostly do K-Q sized quilts, but will do other sizes as needed for baby showers and so on.
I personally HATE square quilts (beds aren't square, are they?), and will often modify a pattern to change the square quilt to rectangular. And I really like my quilts extra long, to cover the pillows like a comforter. I've only done one "wall hanging" sized quilt - it's hanging on my quilt rack, next to some antique quilts I've found. Not hanging on the wall. Not really sure why, except maybe I can't figure out how to hang it up?!?
Old 01-18-2015, 12:03 PM

I used to make full size and queen size quilts and then we got a king size bed so now I am working on 2 king size behemoths. Other than that, I usually make twin for DGD or a wall hanging or two.