Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What size quilts do you make >

What size quilts do you make

What size quilts do you make

Old 01-05-2024, 06:22 AM

I did make a king sized quilt on my domestic many years ago. 6" throat...never again! Most quilts lately are the size that they finish. I don't always start with a plan, just an idea of "what if...". I prefer lap quilts 50x60 ish. These are easy to use and fold. They also work well on Mom's hospital bed.
Old 01-05-2024, 11:05 AM

umm...a long arm makes those big quilts so much easier. I have done a full sized quilt on my sit down domestic but only a full sized and only did straight line quilting with a walking foot and acctually had a helper to help me manage the quilt. That was enough of that for me. Yeah, If I didn't have my long arm, I would pay someone else to do those those big quilts for me or rent out time on a long arm at the local shop. I know people do quilt those big ones on a domestic. but I am not one of them. I do have a big cabinet with a fold up extra bit behind the machine and to the left so I really don't have too much problem piecing the quilt or hemming. Although that last 100 X 100 flannel one I put binding one even kept wanting to fall off that cabinet.
Old 01-05-2024, 11:55 AM

I have never made a quilt to actually be used as a bed spread. Mine are used to put on top on cold nights, or snuggling in while watching TV about...5 x 7 or so. Just depends on how I 'feel' about the fabric and what it looks like as I construct it.

There was one exception. My father would come home from work and take a nap on the couch. My mother would always scold him saying that he was getting the couch dirty every day. So, I made him a quilt that looked "old and dirty" (as my SIL said) that Mother put on the couch for him when he came home. Problem solved! He treasured it for years and was passed down to one of his grandchildren who were delighted with it, and amused by the story.
Old 01-06-2024, 02:36 PM

That's a cute story Pennyhal2. I have always advocated using quilts that matched your decor and room colors to help preserve your couch Never could get my dogs to wash their paws before jumping up on the couch.
Or asking Dad to take a bath and change his clothes before sitting down.
Old 01-07-2024, 07:26 AM

I tend to make lap/throw quilts more than anything else. I think, like many others have already said, it's because it's a manageable size to work with and practical to use. My I Spy quilts are generally 42x54 (I play backing chicken with that width, I know, but have been lucky for the most part). I have made a queen-size double-sided flannel quilt and a king-size quilt and SID quilted them on my Brother PQ1500. I don't think I'd like to try either of those again (even though I was happy with the results) because it's so awkward to work with something that huge/heavy.
Old 01-07-2024, 07:52 AM

I seldom make anything larger than about 60" x 70". Though I have done queen size at times. Most of my quilts are used either for throw quilts or art quilts. My art quilts run from about 27" x 30" to 60" x 60".

Rob
Old 01-07-2024, 05:03 PM

I mostly make bed size quilts…queen. I am finishing the binding on a King size that I made for my bed but queen size mostly.
Old 01-07-2024, 05:10 PM

I ran out of friends and family worthy of a quilt so I joined Project Lilnus. I mostly make quilts 42 x 54 or close to that size. Someetimes I may make a larger top and give it to our long armer to quilt.
Old 01-08-2024, 03:31 AM

I'm one that has made over 80 quilts in the last 6 years...many of those were baby or toddler quilts for Project Linus. I've also made throw quilts and a couple of queen sized quilts, and one very large king sized quilt. If I have to say what size I like best, it would be 48 to 60 inches.
Old 01-08-2024, 07:47 PM

Currently making a queen size using QAYG (quilt as you go). So much easier this way!!