Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What size quilts do you make >

What size quilts do you make

What size quilts do you make

Old 01-04-2024, 04:30 PM

My most common size is about 65 X 80 for a donation quilt. Baby quilts are usually 40 X 40 so I don't have to piece the back. For children under age 5 50X60 Of course as mentioned earlier, it may all depend on the pattern. I have done one queen and that was enough. One was for a really tall single nephew and that was EXTRA long but I can't find the final dimensions, finished 2015.Yikes! Time flies
Old 01-04-2024, 05:10 PM

Like a few others the smallest size I will make is a twin and the largest is a queen.
Old 01-04-2024, 05:35 PM

I prefer to make Over sized Queen size quilts. I mostly make over sized queen size, meaning that I like my quilts to be large enough to tuck in the pillows and have a drape almost to the floor on the remaining three sides (sides and bottom of bed). My quilts usually measure on average 99 x 114". When I roll over in bed, I don't want the quilt slipping off my shoulders or leaving part of me uncovered. I want to snuggle deep into the quilt!

If the block size makes it a little bigger I'll go as far as 100 x 117" I generally don't do borders, unless they are needed to take it to the 99 x 114. if the border is 4" or narrower. I plan my quilts out size wise before starting, so I actually know what size blocks I need depending on how many blocks I want for the width and length. (ie. 6" blocks or larger depending on the design I'm making). I've made twins a well, for the family with twin size beds, but again, they are oversized so that the pillow tuck is in and the drape on the three sides as well.

Occasionally I will make an oversize lap quilt, or wall hangings, or hot pads etc. But my go to is Oversized Queens!
Old 01-04-2024, 08:39 PM
Power Poster

I make mostly queen and large lap/throw size quilts, but I have a longarm, so quilting the larger quilts is not a problem.
Old 01-04-2024, 08:46 PM

I make a king sized quilt for our bed every couple years. Other than that it depends on the design. Mostly mine seem to finish at 50 x 60 or larger. I quilt them on my Juki 2200 QVP Mini. Even kings aren't hard to do on it.
Old 01-05-2024, 03:47 AM

I love to make baby size ( 40" x 40") and throw size (50" x 60"). I quilt all of my own quilts and this size is perfect for my small throat space. I have made queen size quilts but they have been quilt as you go, which I enjoy making as well.
Old 01-05-2024, 04:03 AM

My quilts are 30x30, 36x36 and 36x48. Sadly they go to an agency that gives them to women who are fostering abused babies, and babies born with drugs in their system. The sizes are given to me by the agency, I am free to pick the colors and patterns I want to use.
Old 01-05-2024, 05:35 AM

As I've been making quilts for all those in my very small congregation, they seem to want queen size quilts. The single folks though ask for lap size and even those I make around 60x70 or a bit larger depending on their size. I also have yet to make a quilt for my bed which is only a full size bed since I sleep with just my furbabies. Even so, as it's an antique bed, I've replaced the old mattresses which has made it a bit higher off the ground and if I want to make it go down to the floor, it will still be a fairly large quilt............someday. I already know it's going to be a French Braid pattern as I've never made one before and I like to try new patterns to me.

As for the queen size quilts, they usually end up between 100 to 108 inches going both directions. Right now I have 8 of these bad boys waiting to be quilted as I lost my sewing mojo during the summer and have yet to get it back but it's coming as I can feel it.
Old 01-05-2024, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

My kids and grands all have a bed size quilts and really don't use them much. They like throw size. I rarely make a quilt now that is bigger then 65 by 70. I had the bed size quilted by a LA but now I quilt them myself. I have a Juke 2010 TL in a big Arrow sewing table. Takes about two days of off and on quilting to get one done. I use school glue to baste. I timed basting one yesterday from start to done in 19 min. I use Missouri Star Dream throw size batting. It's soft and has an an excellent hand and feel and on sale a lot. For warmer quilts to take to ball games and such I use two battings.
Old 01-05-2024, 05:56 AM

I mostly do lap quilts or other small quilts like I Spy. I've not mastered the art of quilting a large quilt on a domestic machine. The automated long arm quilting is at least $.05 an inch around here, so it can get expensive.

bkay