Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What size quilts do you make >

What size quilts do you make

What size quilts do you make

Old 01-04-2024, 12:10 PM

Default What size quilts do you make

I have only made bed size quilts in the last two years for family. I have yet to make one for myself. I have a stack of quilt tops completed that are queen size, but getting them all quilted is not easy, and sending them all out would be very expensive. The throat size on my machine isn't that large. It's one of those straight stitch only Juki machines that are so popular. (which I really like) Can't remember the model at this momment.

I personally like lap size quilts, as they are easy to manuver. Even on my queen size bed, I prefer a lap size, as I sleep alone and find the ease of the smaller size more comfortable.

I was now contemplating a more managable size from now on like a 60 x 70. Just curious what size you guys generally make. From the pictures below, it appears that a lot of them are smaller.

Last edited by Schill93; 01-04-2024 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2024, 12:50 PM

Twin size is the largest that I go. It all depends on the pattern as to how big or small. I get bored with bed sized quilts and there is always the problem of "matching" someone's bedroom.
Old 01-04-2024, 12:58 PM

My design sense seems to be roughly queen sized, say something around 80x90 inches. A little wider, a little longer, all is good. I do try to stay under 100" in length but not always...

But try to get me to something smaller and I have troubles with design. I can follow directions or patterns but do not myself think smaller than about 48x60".

I joke about it with my husband -- that I am just glad my art is quilting, it would suck to have the desire to work in metal like Calder mobiles or stadium sized pieces.
Old 01-04-2024, 02:29 PM

Twin size and up! I am 6ft tall and I like to snuggle under quilts, so I make sure that everything I make has lots of room for snuggling.

Last edited by tallchick; 01-04-2024 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2024, 02:41 PM

Mostly, l make quilts @ 50 x 50 for community quilts that go hospitals, nursing homes and children's aid. They give warmth and comfort but don't take up too much space when stored or in laundry.We use a cream colour mattlassé cotton coverlette on our queen bed, so a lap quilt is just folded at bottom for the cat. I love our lap quilts in the livingroom. Hubby's is 50 x 60, just right for recliner. Mine is 48 x 48 for armchair. For the sofa, l'll be making a 55 x 70.
Old 01-04-2024, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

Our bed is queen. I keep a neutral covering on it. I make our quilts just to fit the top with no overhang or go under the pillows which are covered with matching shams to spread. We don't sleep on those pillows. Manageable size and looks good to us.
Old 01-04-2024, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

The smallest I make is a twin. We really like to cuddle and anything smaller just doesn't work for us even though we aren't tall.

We have a King bed and I've made a total of 4 quilts for it over the years. Not looking forward to making another beast!
Old 01-04-2024, 03:51 PM

I make everything from baby to king tops. I only make kings on request or specifically for wedding presents. I make queens as needed by the guild. Twins are the most popular size because we also provide quilts for a mens' shelter, a teen shelter and an abused women's shelter. Most of my tops are scrappy. Lord knows I have enough scraps!!
Old 01-04-2024, 03:56 PM

I also prefer making a lap size. They are nice for supplemental warmth, but not too heavy for people who have trouble managing weight.
Old 01-04-2024, 04:07 PM

Lap or twin size are usually what I make. I have a Christmas quilt in progress for my newly married nephew and his wife, but they'll get it next year. It's a large throw size. I will love it when it's done...but needed to give myself a rest from it. So they will learn to love it when it's done and not a second before!