Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What tabletop organizer do you keep supplies handy in? >

What tabletop organizer do you keep supplies handy in?

What tabletop organizer do you keep supplies handy in?

Old 02-04-2013, 07:35 PM

I dump all my stuff in a plastic box behind my machine. I always have to dig through it to find my tools. My rulers are also on my table in a letter holder from a thrift store. Not the best but works for me.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:45 PM

I have sewing accessories in many containers, but right next to my machine I have a 12-inch turntable with room for lots of things, but the centerpiece is a rubber circle bobbin holder. It holds more than a dozen bobbins a all sizes to fit all my machines. I have any bobbin I need right at my fingertips including empty ones that can be grabbed and filled without leaving my chair. The center of the circle ends up holding assorted spools of thread as them come off the machine so I don't have to pop up and replace them on the wall-mounted spool holder ( I say "ends up" cause I never intended this, it just happened cause it is within reach.) The turntable also holds thread snips, a pair of scissors or two, a packet of machine needles for the next one I break, several little fabric snippets for use at the beginning and ending of strip piecing, etc. Hard to believe one foot-wide circle holds just about everything I need while quilting.

I think this "it just happened this way" organization demonstrates what really works for any one person. You can buy all the organizers on the market, but when you have been sewing for hours at a time and are fully involved in what you are doing, you should loook at the state of your surroundings when you take a break and see where you have placed things while you have been concentrating on your creative endeavors. Odds are, you intuitive organization works for you better than any "system" you can try to implement.

Maybe for some people, the intuitive system will just yield a mish-mash, but I bet others will find as I did that your brain will organize the things you need to make them available to you when you need them.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 PM

I use a triple divided dish thing i bought at the goodwill for pens,pencils,markers, little rulers and scissors,seam ripper at the most used machines along with the magnetic pin holder for the pins,needles. I also use the Craftsman tool caddy to hold rotary cutters, larger scissors for fabric and paper,tape measure among other things it can be carried to other machines.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:18 AM

I have a round partitioned tool tray $4.99 ea. from Atwoods farm store to the right of my sewing machine, ihave another on top as they are stackable and then put a turntable underneath. In one partition I have a magnetic strip from wal mart cut to size in the bottom. If I have a place for tools I am so much more efficient with my work. BTW, My GD's husband engineer, says that new computers are not made to be sensitive to magnets.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by donac View Post
I have something that goes under my machine and hangs down in front. The part that hangs down in front has pockets. The part that lies under the machine extends to the right. There is a pocket that holds scissors and a pin cushions.

I made it myself. I quilted a large rectangle of fabric. I bound it and then folded part of up and sewed lines to make pockets. I put on the pin cushion and the pocket for the scissors
oh, what a great idea! My new room has a definite color scheme and I was planning on making something. This sounds like a winner to me.
You don't happen to have a picture do you?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:53 PM

I have a clear fishing tackle box with tons of dividers in it. all my feet are in it. there are bigger sections that hold seam ripper, bobbins, stiletto, needles, pins, etc. it closes and "locks" shut so when I go to a class or my sewing group, I can just grab it andthrow it in my tote. That way, I never forget anything. (except the last time, I forgot the darn thing! LOL) I also have a mug for pencils, pens, etc.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:02 PM

I am using a bag from "31" company. It is open in the center and has compartments all around. Hold everying except large rulers, those are on ruler stand.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:31 PM

I don't do well with a lot of clutter around me while sewing. When I am working on a project I only have the tools I will need next to the machine, scissors, nippers, seam ripper, pins. When I am done sewing for the day they are all put away. I have two huge drawers on either side of me that have the rest of my sewing tools. I am still working out a better method of organizing for the drawers. I have some kitchen drawer organizers & various boxes.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
I have a ''pampered chef'' revolving holder for kitchen tools...many compartments, double tiered. It is great and cost me $1.50 at a church yard sale.
Same here... I found one at a junk store here in town... I think I only spent $1!! It's great!! But I love reading all the organizational methods others use!!!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 PM

I have two Craftsman metal drawer units on wheels right next to my machine table. With a variety of drawer depths, I select the tools needed for a project and return them before leaving the area for the day. A small pair of scissors, seam ripper, and bag for threads/clippings is to the right of the machine on the table top.

Empty dry grated cheese containers are handy to store safety pins, hem clips, etc. inside the drawers. A multi-zippered jewelry kit with clear plastic pockets is "loaded" with everything I need for my sewing machine (bulb, bobbins, feet, screwdriver, needles, brush, etc.) when away from home. Magnetic metal dishes reside by my sewing machine and big board type ironing surface. A pretty aqua glass dish (round and shallow) rests on my cutting table. The dish is a catch-all for odds and ends during the day.

Projects in process are stored in clear plastic boxes to keep items for a project together: fabric, pattern, blocks, special notions. Projects in waiting are stacked vertically in clear plastic totes with handles -- inside an 18 gallon Rubbermaid tub.

A wonderful mentor shared her successful tip with me. She straightens up the sewing room before leaving for the day. The following day, everything is in order and she can start to play immediately in a pleasant area. Now, I do that, too. The fresh start each day gives me inspiration. :-)

I used to use a wicker basket to carry around everything under the sun and moon. I find it is much easier to use the drawer/return method to keep things in order and find them quickly. :-) I've enjoyed reading the ideas on this topic.

Last edited by kay carlson; 02-14-2013 at 06:50 PM.