Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What tabletop organizer do you keep supplies handy in? >

What tabletop organizer do you keep supplies handy in?

What tabletop organizer do you keep supplies handy in?

Old 02-04-2013, 02:24 PM

I have a 4 compartment plastic container from the dollar store with a handle at the top for my taller things: 1 compartment holds scissors, one my rotary cutters, one my regular rulers, and one my pens and pencils. I have a small pretty vase to hold my seam rippers, 1/2 bamboo skewers and other shorter things. I have the magnetic dish for misc. round rolling things and little bitty stuff. And I have a bent wire mini shelf 4"x 8" for my leaders and enders to sit on.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I'm always making little things--------------I need to make a coffee can pocket thingy! Might do that tomorrow. WITH BOAT ANCHOR SCRAPS!
I have a pattern for one. One day I may make a few, I have plenty of coffee cans.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 PM

I repurpose many things from around the house. Don't laugh! My pens, markers, etc. are standing in a silverware basket from an old dishwasher. It's got dividers and a little handle. I also use a small silverware divided drawer tray for other items such as seam rippers and other miscellaneous items. The list goes on and on. I don't buy things especially for organization, but use things like pretty tins, clear glass canisters, etc. I keep scraps and accessories for my little shop vac in those large holiday popcorn tins. I said "Don't laugh!"

Last edited by GailG; 02-04-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:47 PM

I do something similar only my organizers were sushi trays!!! Also use the large clear plastic lettuce/spinach containers from Costco for scraps and left over small pieces of quilts.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:48 PM

Love your cart with the drawers and extra leaves. Would appreciate where you purchased it. I need another storage unit and I don't want plastic. Was even thinking about a night stand with drawers, but yours is perfect . Thank you.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:06 PM

I use the mug with the 'apron'. Wish I had it years ago. It holds a lot, you can take it with you, and I don't lose items.
It's a Simplicity pattern. I believe Joann's has them for a $1 this month. There is also a you tube tutorial for one.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:05 PM

My sewing machine in on a small computer table.....I made a LARGE pincushon (the length of the keyboard tray) where the "wrist rest" was and then screwed in the top of a plastic shoebox on the rest of the "keyboard" area which holds scissors, seam rippers., small rulers, rotary cutters, etc. I had a small sewing box....I put all my bobbins and foots for the sewing machine in it. This box is next to the sewing machine in the "printer" area!!!! It has worked well for me!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:21 PM

I love the pampered chef tool turnaround. It works great and has lots of compartments. Don't know if they still sell them.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:36 PM

OK here's one for you to giggle about. I keep a "barf" pan from the hospital filled with clippers, spare bobbin, tweezers and the like. I just hated to throw it out. LOL LOL
Old 02-04-2013, 06:47 PM

I found a really cool pottery vase with three compartments at different levels to hold longer items - rotary cutters, scissors, etc. and it sits on my cutting table; at the same pottery gallery I found small saucers that I use to hold pins. I've also got some favorite coffee cups holding things. My most "special" piece is my Rogers box - a family friend named Rogers gifted it to me at Christmas. It is a beautiful handmade box and lid that he made - fairly large - that sits beside my machine and holds all of my immediate use items such as spool caps, cleaning tools, walking foot, needles, scissors, Machingers cuz I'm always losing them. My sewing table top sits on a lateral filing cabinet and a drawer pack, so I also leave those open if necessary when I'm sewing to hold my patterns, etc.