Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What thread and needle do you use when you hand applique?

I ordered all my silk thread on line, took me almost 2 years to get all the colors and that was at least 3 years ago so they may have new colors now. I would order 4 to 6 at a time. I LOVE this thread. I do have a collection of aurfil on bobbins, 3 of us would order a collection, wind it on bobbins and split the cost. I don't seem to use it much since I got the silk.
    Always trying new needles.

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/sto...17&Categ_Id=36

Blog Entries
    I use #8 betweens. and coats and clark hand quilting thread. I bought some #10 needles once but I can't get the thread through the eye of the needles. can someone tell me why I cant thread the #10s? I even tried to use one of those needle threaders, no luck.

I also use the bottom line in the pale beige almost mocha color and I use it for the whole thing... it sissapears so well... I did use the silk, but I don't know if it was a bad spool but it kept snappin/breaking and I was threading my needle all the time... a veteran LAQ and hand appliquer turned me on the thebottom line thread,and I love it!!! the straw needles thin and long!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    What thread do you use when you hand applique? What needle do you use?
    Thanks everyone.
    For hand applique I use Superior Threads' Bottom Line, usually pale green, never shows.
    As to needles, I use whatever's handy: sharps or betweens.
    No rules - I use the same thread and needles for piecing, applique and quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by grandma Janice
    I use #8 betweens. and coats and clark hand quilting thread. I bought some #10 needles once but I can't get the thread through the eye of the needles. can someone tell me why I cant thread the #10s? I even tried to use one of those needle threaders, no luck.
    If you are trying to thread a #10 with hand quilting thread; it is to thick for the tiny needle eye.
    What stitch do you applique with using hand quilting thread? I do needle turn and don't want to see my stitches, ie: thin thread that sinks into the tiny seam.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    If you are trying to thread a #10 with hand quilting thread; it is to thick for the tiny needle eye.
    What stitch do you applique with using hand quilting thread? I do needle turn and don't want to see my stitches, ie: thin thread that sinks into the tiny seam.
    I do a needle turn and I hide my stitches. I have never tried silk thread. Is it a thinner thread?

yes the silk is a thin thread--- you have to do that special knot at the eye so it does not slip on you ...try it and see if you like it .. really hides the stitch... I may try it again... but it will have to not be an old stock try the silk with the #10!! you will see a difference!!

Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    I do a needle turn and I hide my stitches. I have never tried silk thread. Is it a thinner thread?

silk thread sort of melts into the fabric; yes is it thin.

Blog Entries
    I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for the info. guess your never too old to learn something new.

I use DMC embroidery thread and a #11 between.

Blog Entries
    I also use the DMC Embroidery thread,I use four of the strands. I have quilts I did for my grandmother and the stitching is still holding up. My needles are generally just some good sharps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2