Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What type of iron so you use? >

What type of iron so you use?

What type of iron so you use?

Old 06-13-2011, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by UglyCook
Don't get an Oliso!

I just replaced my mis-behaving Oliso with a mid-range Shark ($49) and it's working fine. No leaks.
OH no.....a bunch of us are going tomorrow to purchase the Oliso at Costco!!!
sorry about the second post...wish there was a delete button!
Old 06-13-2011, 02:57 AM

Both my neighbor and I have had trouble with our Rowenta's leaking. I won't be buying another.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:04 AM

Happy birthday ...I have a rowenta that works great and an iron from wal mart that was not very expensive and it works great also....the wal mart iron is lite and really gets hot which I like....Had a black and decker loved it,but it got lost in a move...Again have a happy birthday....
Old 06-13-2011, 03:07 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by mms61371
And since my birthday is tomorrow (6/13), he said it would be the perfect present for me. Looking forward to your suggestions. Thank you
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

One of the reasons I just love the women on this board (no offense to the guys) is that there are women like you who would be thrilled with a new iron as a birthday gift. I think that's great.

Hope your day is wonderful and I hope Rowenta solves the problem for you!
Old 06-13-2011, 03:16 AM

I have a Tefal and a Phillips and for the sticky, gooey jobs, I use a Breville.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:24 AM

I use an Oliso and love it. Like the rest of you ladies, I loathed my Rowenta seemed very heavy and clumsy.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by mms61371
I've had a rowenta iron for awhile now. Not long after I purchased it (within 9 months) it started leaking water. Well today the water just started steadily dripping out of it. I paid a lot of money for this iron. I can not spend that much on an iron now. So, I was just wondering what type everyone uses and what they like most about it. I told my husband that the best place to ask for advice on this would be the quiliting board. And since my birthday is tomorrow (6/13), he said it would be the perfect present for me. Looking forward to your suggestions. Thank you
I had the same problem with a rowenta. I went to Wal Mart and got a cheap one, works fine, no leaks.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:29 AM

I just went to Walmart and bought one. I bought a Black & Decker in Florida and it was wonderful...have one here at home also.

I just make sure that they turn themselves off as I do forget when sewing. Mine shuts down after 8 minutes and then with just a slight movement, turns back on....works great when PPing.

hope that helps....
Old 06-13-2011, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sewlmatesister
Originally Posted by UglyCook
Don't get an Oliso!

I just replaced my mis-behaving Oliso with a mid-range Shark ($49) and it's working fine. No leaks.
OH no.....a bunch of us are going tomorrow to purchase the Oliso at Costco!!!
I bought the Oliso about 2 months ago and I LOVE it. I always had Rowentas before. I usually buy the most expensive one. My Rowentas went out after about 8 years. A lot of ladies on this board recommended the Oliso and that is why I bought it, but first I went to Walmart to get one to use until the Oliso came in. Mine went out at 11pm at night and I was ironing quilt pieces so I wanted it right then.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:40 AM

Several years ago I used a friends Rowenta at a retreat. I loved it and bought one when my old cheapy died. That was about 10 yeas ago - that Rowenta was fantastic - made ironing almost pleasant!! But it was dropped several times and finally died. Let my 4-H kids use it. Bought another one - leaked starting at about 6 months on - and just got worse. Just did not work right including the cord issues. One day it just sparked and died. So went to a garage sale and they had 3 old models - bought all 3 for $5.00. They are great back ups for the 4-H kids and retreats. One is very old from the 40's - in great shape and on the internet, valued at about $75.00.

I did buy an Oliso for my studio - so far absolutely love it. Very nice features and well designed.

I do like irons with stainless steal base - not Teflon, it eventually comes off and leaves specks on the clothes. So I have had luck with both inexpensive and costly irons, but so far my favs was my OLD Rowenta and now the Oliso.