Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What type of iron so you use? >

What type of iron so you use?

What type of iron so you use?

Old 06-13-2011, 05:42 AM

I have SINGER Expert Finish 1700 Watt Steam Iron
and I love it. It gets so hot that I literally do not have to iron both sides of things. Seriously. It is fantastic at steaming as well.

The first thing you have to do is fill it with water, and iron til your out of water, this was a bit of a pain, and since I do not have an ironing board (must get one) I was using the counter in the kitchen (don't laugh this is true) I had to use towels folded in 4ths and I used 2 of them, and it still got my counter hot!!!

I have had this since Dec, and it works like a charm. I love it, and I have had Rowentas before, but I have never had an iron that irons like this one, and no leaks!!
Old 06-13-2011, 05:46 AM

I just bought a SUNBEAN MASTER Drip Free from Walmart to replace my B&D that had begun dripping.
I love it! It has a non-stick plate with an auto shut-off. Glides easily and the steam is great.
I'm thinking this is the best iron I've ever used so far. :o)
Old 06-13-2011, 05:47 AM

I have a Rowenta & 2 cheepies. I've heard several people say their Rowenta leaks but I haven't had any problem so far. I have heard the Shark is good. I saw them at Lowes this week for about $30. My husband just said "How many irons do you need?" He obviously forgot he married a gadget junkie! Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:11 AM

After having to replace at least 8 Rowentas in 15 years I finally wised up and tried the Singer Expert Finish iron. I've used this one for at least 6 months and have had no problems with it leaking or sputtering. It gets wicked hot and the steam is better than the Rowenta IMHO. The cord is longer and I like the digital display. It heats fast, has the auto-shut off feature and beeps when ready. It was half the price of the Rowentas.

I also like the smaller Braun for piecing. Have had this one for at least 5 years.

Mary
Old 06-13-2011, 06:12 AM

Rowenta's are bad news & expensive, they are knowen to leak.Go to Wal-Mart & buy a $6.00 iron & use until it dies & then get another one.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:22 AM

I bought an expensive Eurosteam iron and it is not worth the money. It is supposed to be a great steam iron. And it is for about 3 bursts of steam then you have to wait 5 minutes for it build up steam again. I use mostly a Black and Decker that I have had for years, Also a mini Rowenta at my sewing machine. The mini is great.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:23 AM

I gave up on steam irons and got a dry iron. Love it!! When I need steam, just spritz a little water from a spray bottle. My first dry iron was my mom's and everytime I used it I thought of the thousands of my dad's shirts she ironed with it!! And how many of my blouses I ironed. Glad I don't iron clothes anymore. Funny how we'll gripe about ironing a shirt but no problem tackling 6 yards of fabric!! LOL!! Try a dry iron and you'll never go back to a steam iron.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:25 AM

This is brilliant. I struggle with my Shark iron because it leaks like crazy, and pretty soon it's going to join it's like-minded cohorts in the linen closet. Yes, I have a collection of about 4 relatively expensive leaking irons sitting in my linen closet, because I just can't bring myself to throw them away. I used to use a cheap Wal-Mart iron that would last for about 2 years and then just die - I may go back to that. But for now, a spray bottle and dry Shark iron - yes!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:31 AM

It seems like there are a lot of negative comments about Rowentas no matter where I look. I have two irons that I LOVE. One is a cordless (hard to find) by Panasonic. You just need a spot right by your ironing board to place the base so that it's convenient to place the iron there when you put it down. The other workhorse is a Black & Decker Digital Advantage which I've been using for several years now including taking it to retreats where several people are using it. It even has a clean cycle and the iron tells you when it's time.
Pat
Old 06-13-2011, 06:31 AM

oops - right "by" your ironing board