Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What type of sewing machine? >

What type of sewing machine?

What type of sewing machine?

Old 09-17-2016, 05:46 AM

I bought the 5 pound Janome Mini Sew. I hate it. It was only $50, but it is not for quilters. I makes too much noise, and seems to be struggling as I sew.

This machine would be a good one to have around if you don't really sew much, but need something to close up the occasional seam. It's really cute, but I'm giving mine to the church auction.

An old machine that does only straight stitching would be your best bet for quilting. A lot of people use their old machines and let the $2000 machine sit. You may be able to get one for little or maybe nothing.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:22 AM

There are some nice machines in the Brother line in your price range. I did my first 6 years of quilting on one. You might also check out the Janome line. I bought one a few years ago to take to my quilting group and retreats.
Bought it online from sewingmachinesplus.com. Great little machine!
Old 09-17-2016, 06:50 AM

The last time I sewed was about 20 years ago
Old 09-17-2016, 07:26 AM

This is the Walmart machine that many of my guild members are recommending to beginners. It is right at $200. I have never used it, and I don't really know much about it, but it comes with a 1/4 inch foot, so you can start piecing as soon as you get it. It might be worth checking out...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-1...Q9185/29176878

Dina
Old 09-17-2016, 08:35 AM

I may be in the minority, but I always feel that a good all-metal parts machine is a great option for just about anyone. But, then again, I'm not interested in decorative stitches, embroidery or one-step buttonholes. I just want my machine to be able to sew a perfect straight line, 1/4" seam, and to be able to quilt both straight lines & free motion.

Any machine that can sew a straight stitch can do free motion quilting (FMQ). Almost any machine that can sew a straight stitch can also work with a walking foot to quilt straight lines. My first choice in that price range would be a used Bernina (210 or 215 are both very, very good options). They do 9 different stitches, including a buttonhole. They can be outfitted later with a knee lift to allow it to grow with you. The only downside is that parts -- like a walking foot, patchwork (1/4") foot & darning (FMQ) foot -- are some of the most expensive on the market. However, Berninas are ultra-reliable & will last you a very long time.

The other option I'd consider is a used classic Singer. Typically they will only do a couple types of stitches & some of the oldest ones only do a straight stitch. Of course, that's all you need to quilt so it's not really a huge problem -- just something to keep in mind. I have a 353 that I inherited & it is fantastic. It doesn't have the needle down function like my Bernina -- which really does help with the quilting process -- but the parts are a fraction of the cost. It does need servicing a bit more often, but it's still a reliable workhorse of a machine. The upside of it is that it will sew through pretty much anything -- vinyl, heavy denim, decorator fabrics, thin silks & polyester crepes ... I've yet to find something it can't accurately sew. Very few modern machines are that versatile.

Make sure that no matter what brand you choose, that there is a repair shop near where you live that can service your machine when needed.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:14 AM

You may want to check with dealers for a good used machine in your price range. You will be suprised at what is out there. Most will even set down and show you how the features work.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chrissy81 View Post
I have never quilted before and am not wanting to spend a lot on a sewing machine. What would be he best sewing machine for somebody on a budget. I would like to spend less than $200. What are the essentials I will need on a sewing machine? Thanks in advance for any help.��
Eleven years ago my DD and her friends bought me a mid-range Walmart machine, that had 35 stitches and has available accessories feet. It is not electronic. It has been across the United States (Washington State to Texas and back) twice riding under a grayhound bus, and still works perfect. It was $150 and is the model 5130, which I believe is available on Amazon for less money now. Brother machines are sturdy, durable, low maintenece, and the manual make it all easy to use. This machine is white with burgundy trim if that helps you located it easier.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:40 PM

Consider a vintage machine. Ask this same question on the Vintage and antiques Sewing Machines forum. Chances are you can find a machine for your needs that will last virtually forever for under $100.00.

bkay

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/

Old 09-18-2016, 05:45 AM

*** Hi! Y'all from the upstate of South Carolina.
*** I started on hand me down straight stitch,
*** then progressed to a $100. Singer, and
*** now I only have antiques and I love them all.
*** The simplier the better for me.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:46 AM

For quilting you really only need a straight stitch. I would highly recommend a good vintage Singer. A Singer 201 or 301 will be 50+ years old and could very well outlive you! They have a beautiful stitch and are very easy to maintain and adjust. Remember the old Singers are solid workhorses, not like the new Singers. The inexpensive electronic machines are not designed to last a long time or to be easy to service; they are designed to be thrown away.

Pam