Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What will we all do??????? >

What will we all do???????

What will we all do???????

Old 01-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Banned

Here is a good report about what is happening with the cotton industry..it has NOTHING to do with the USA....however, we who enjoy our leisure activities that involve cotton however will have to learn to live without it for a couple of years so the important industries, like medical supplies and feminine products can remain in biz!

http://www.warmcompany.com/CottonInc.pdf
Old 01-17-2011, 09:02 PM

I am so glad I bought a lot (and have a huge stash) in the years when I was still working! Sometimes I look at my stash and wonder why I ever bought so much - guess I was planning for a rainy day which is in the weather forecast, or so it seems!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:08 PM

Luckily I do have a huge stash but there always seems to be something I need that I don't have. Good thing I love scrap quilts.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:18 PM

This is when I wish I had closets and boxes of fabric for my stash instead my small pile would only make a crib top, maybe! If I only had the money when they have the good sales. That's when a fixed income stinks...I'll just have to scour the Goodwill more often than I already do...
Old 01-17-2011, 09:21 PM

Our local quilt shop owner said she thought it might be up to 15% which would be bad enough!!!
Originally Posted by Mesissy
I was reading this morning that cotton is going up by 80%. I cant even imagine how i will be able to afford my fabric shopping. I was thinking about going to the Goodwill, etc. and looking for skirts that have a lot of fabric in them. What will we all do? Cheryl
Old 01-17-2011, 11:29 PM

There's a DAV (Disabled Veteran Resale Shop in my neighborhood. They stuff plastic bags with fabric and pile the bags on top of their clothing racks ($1-2 per bag). Bags contain scraps, large pieces, quilt squares, blocks, etc. - a quilter's dream. Bags are clear, so you see what you're getting. I always stop here on my way to Hancock or JoAnn.
Sometimes I don't even make it to Hancock. Most fun is emptying and sorting my treasures when I get home. Pieces I don't want (poly, yarn, silk, etc).
JMac
Old 01-18-2011, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mesissy
Originally Posted by deedum
80%? are you sure, that is huge! Good thing I got a stash! Also, not much time to do sew, so for once it works in my favor!
Yep............it said 80%. I dont have much of a stash.......so i'm bummed.
guess we will really have to put our stash we have and any we buy to really good use i guess.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:44 AM

Be a bit more "scrappy"? I have been lucky enough to accumulate a stash. I don't typically buy anything unless it is on sale or if I need something specific for a project and then it is only a little bit. I hate paying full price for anything and always shop for the best bang for my buck. I've always been a thrift store shopper (at least in my adult life ;) ) so I've added stuff all the time from deals I find there.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:24 AM

I just forgot... duh.. we have a Catholic church and they have something along the lines of 2nd hand shop, good will. It's in this house with the whole front porch (enclosed) full of sheets, I sure will be visiting them soon
Old 01-18-2011, 10:45 AM

okay it's going up we will deal with it.

Gas went up and so did food we just deal with it.