Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do? >

What would you do?

What would you do?

Old 11-17-2011, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by joyce blint View Post
I would keep in mind that the MIL gave her the one she now has. Wouldn't want to cause bad feelings in the family.
First of all if her MIL loves her, the woman won't be offended if your DD graduates up to a new machine.
She can still keep the older Singer handy or set up for routine straight stitching.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:04 AM

I would buy the accessories for the machine. Sewing feet (generic) are not expensive...shoot, look on ebay and you may find a set of feet/attachments for this specific machine. With the rest of the money, give her a gift certificate for having the machine serviced/cleaned (about 50.00 usually)...then get her a gift certificate to Joann's or another fabric shop (online or local).

The 4530 is an excellent machine..very well built.

Originally Posted by chiaraquilts View Post
My daughter inherited a Singer 4530 from her MIL, it seems to work ok, but has only one basic foot. She is really getting into sewing and would like a zipper foot, walking foot, etc, to be able to do more. She is on a super tight budget so I thought it would be a good Christmas thing to do. So, my question is, does it make sense to spend money on accessories for this machine or would it make more sense to buy a better but basic machine that has all the feet, etc.? From what I have read, Singer's of this age are not very reliable, and I would hate to have it stop working after buying a bunch of stuff for it...any thoughts? I could spend about 400 dollars for a new machine.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:10 AM

If you really want to get her a new machine...do that...I'd look at a lower end embroidery/sewing machine...brother has some good ones at Walmart. I got my SE270D at Walmart...it only has a small hoop...but I love that machine! I only use it for sewing now (has auto threading & auto cutter)..I think the PE350 or something like that is the comparable machine now...about 400.00. Then, I would get her the accessories off ebay...look at sharp sewing or NGO sewing on ebay...very reasonable.

Originally Posted by chiaraquilts View Post
My daughter inherited a Singer 4530 from her MIL, it seems to work ok, but has only one basic foot. She is really getting into sewing and would like a zipper foot, walking foot, etc, to be able to do more. She is on a super tight budget so I thought it would be a good Christmas thing to do. So, my question is, does it make sense to spend money on accessories for this machine or would it make more sense to buy a better but basic machine that has all the feet, etc.? From what I have read, Singer's of this age are not very reliable, and I would hate to have it stop working after buying a bunch of stuff for it...any thoughts? I could spend about 400 dollars for a new machine.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:26 AM

If she interested in the newer machine...get that. Let her keep the old one (unless space is an issue) and encourage her to thank her MIL for getting her interested in sewing. Of course, before I'd do that, I'd talk with her to make sure she wants one, but she probably does.

I think that MIL do not get the right to tell people, even DIL that they keep their gifts and never get rid of them. My DS had this problem constantly--her MIL was always getting upset with her if she got rid of anything that she gave her. It made my sis's life really hard at times, as she needed to clear out once in a while!

We've had this discussion about gifts and quilts many many times. If it is a gift, she is free to do with it what she wants, including getting rid of it.

However, I'd encourage her to keep it as a backup. A woman needs more than one machine!
Old 11-19-2011, 07:39 AM

Whatever you decide to do, be sure there are no hard feelings...