Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do? >

What would you do?

What would you do?

Old 11-17-2011, 04:44 AM

A newer machine would make such a diference in her ability to see the various stitches, etc that a new machine would have and perhaps be less expensive to repair if necessary.
also, there would be a warranty with the new machine.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:51 AM

I think the older machines are work horses , and at this time in her sewing life, would be perfect. The new machines are harder to repair, the older ones can be repaired.Look on ebay for all the attachments. Her budget is tight, get deals on attachments, find a machine repair guy, and get that one tuned up, and with the leftover $$$$ give her a mother/daughter shopping spree for fabric and notions for a project that she can pic out with you. Wish my dd's, or dil got the sewing gene.
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
singer feet will fit ANY machine!
so buy the feet....they are cheap on ebay!

you can also try Kenmore feet! THey fit several brands of machines!
Old 11-17-2011, 04:52 AM

[QUOTE=joyce blint;4683815]I would keep in mind that the MIL gave her the one she now has. Wouldn't want to cause bad feelings in the family.[/QUOTE

I agree with this. I'm not familiar with the Singer 4530, but most old Singers have been found to be very reliable with proper care and maintenance. I think that I would ask the new owner of the machine how she feels about having a couple of new feet for the machine or would she like it replaced. IMHO, I would prefer to keep the inherited machine and have a couple of the needed feet.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:54 AM

Maybe you could get her a new sewing machine for Christmas and she could still keep the other one as backup. A girl can never have too many sewing machines
Old 11-17-2011, 04:55 AM

Go to ebay and buy her some feet.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:00 AM

like others have commented, i would buy a new machine. i just bought a new brother and it has alot of feet with, including a walking foot!!!!!!!!i was shocked and it has alot of features----like needle down when you stop. it is a computerized machine. i had a singer and it's alright, but i love my new machine. it cost $199.99 at walmart.saw same machine at joann'sand it was over $300. but i would keep the old one for a back-up machine.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:01 AM

It just depends I think on how much she likes to sew with that machine. If she has used other machines in the past but still likes this one then buy the attachments. I know a 400 dollar machiine sounds like a lot of money but if you do not like sewing with it then you have spent it for nothing. Ask her how she feels about the machine....take to to "test drive" others and see. Most machines last a life time if taken care of.
On the cheap side...feet would cost much less than a new 400 dollar machine. What you put into it would be an investment. I think either way...go with what she would like.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:48 AM

There are places where you can get generic attachments and feet quite cheaply. I would go for a newer machine in addition to .That way she always has a back up. I have a Brother machine and just love it. I think they get a bad rap because Walmart sells them. Dealers also carry the less expensive models and you always have the option later of trading in to upgrade through a dealer.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:23 AM

Buying a new machine would be wonderful for her but, how would the MIL feel? I know your heart is in the right place but the in-laws might see it as competition. I would buy the new machine and a couple of feet for the old one. That way she has a new machine to do all the fancy sewing she wants and an older (tried and true?) machine for the basic sewing. You can never have too many machines.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:25 AM

I can see this as touchy area....I might go to the MIL family and feel out how they would feel about you upgrading for her. I don't have an older second machine, but lots of folks love these. She may find a bigger machine more than what she wants.
I am reminded of when I was a kid and wanted to get into stamp collecting, for Christmas my mom got me a stamp album bigger than a dictionary and a bunch of loose stamps.... it no longer felt like a hobby, it felt like homework. But I had to do it, after all my mom got it.
So now I often look at big purchases by the amount of guilt they will leave around if I don't use it. Maybe she will find more machine intimidating. Is she happy with the basics she has on this machine....if so, get the feet and spring the extra money you might spend on the machine and buy some fabric or a gift card for fabric and notions.