Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do? >

What would you do?

What would you do?

Old 11-16-2011, 04:35 AM

I don't know about that particular model Singer but if it's running well - why not use it? Buy the $15 foot .... heck buy a $20 walking foot too. That's a lot cheaper than a $400 machine. Looks like it's a low shank foot.

You say she 'inherited' the machine from the MIL - did they MIL pass away? or will she be insulted that her machine wasn't 'good enough'? How about the hubby? How long has she been sewing on it? a few months? a couple of years?

Buying a new machine is like looking for a new home...you have to know WHAT you want before you buy and you have to know your BUDGET.

Personally I'd just probably buy a few feet for her (check ebay) and let her grow into sewing and let her figure out what she really needs.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by joyce blint View Post
I would keep in mind that the MIL gave her the one she now has. Wouldn't want to cause bad feelings in the family.
I agree. I think she should get at least some some for this machine. You don't have to go all out but if her mil and fil are alive they may take offense at her not using it.

Then maybe a little bit later she can get another machine and say she has gotten so much better and needs to expand her horizons!

Last edited by EmbQuilt; 11-16-2011 at 04:52 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i would actually talk to her about it---is she really attached to the machine? she may not have any interest in a new machine-
also---would her mother in law be hurt- maybe not-
if you do go for a new machine tell her she should still hold on to the older one- you just never know when you might need a back up-
i have been on both sides of this---actually all 3 sides of this- my mil gave me an old machine years ago when i was sewing my kids clothes by hand- later that year my mother sent me a newer machine- i stuck the older machine in a closet- another year or so went by i got my sister sewing-on the old machine- that old (machine from mil passed around between family members for 20 years- then i gave it to my daughter when she turned 21- and had her own daughter to sew for- then her mil gave her a much nicer new machine a year or so later- one of my neices kids are now using the old-old machine-it is still in the family---we just pass machines around to whom ever needs one at the time- there are no hard feelings- as we could get better ones we did- no one ever expected us to keep on using the old one- the old one was one to keep us sewing until we could get a better one. i can think of 4 different machines over 20 years old that are still being used by siblings, kids, grandkids, neices/nephews- they are excited to get the machine- and as soon as they get a new one they either put the old one away-or pass it on until someone else needs it.
Your story is precious...how wonderful of your family to share such a rich tradition
Old 11-16-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
Interesting! I need a walking foot for my Viking 940. Do you think Singer's or Kenmore's would fit mine? (Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.)
Singer feet fit my brother and kenmore that I had but do not fit my Pfaff. Joanns sells them cheap
Old 11-16-2011, 04:57 AM

Good luck whatever you decide!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:06 AM

Thanks for all the input. The MIL is a very touchy person, so perhaps upgrading the current machine makes the most sense. In fact, I think I will write her a note letting her know how much DD is enjoying the machine and tell her that I am buying some new feet etc. Thanks also for the website info for parts, that is a big help.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:15 AM

I have 2 walking feet that I bought for my old Kenmore. They fit my "new" Janome. I know they were not very expensive, because if they were, I wouldn't have 2. I would just get her the feet that she asked for and wait and see. It would be a shame if giving her a new "better" machine hurt her MIL's feelings. You can always gift her with a new machine later.
Sue
Old 11-16-2011, 05:45 AM

I would buy her a new machine. I wouldn't put money into an old machine.
The new machines sew so much better than the old ones.
I don't think Singers are very reliable. Put the old one in the closet.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:26 AM

Since most Singer feet are interchangable I would get her them for now, if and when this machine is no longer usable you could get her a new or newer Singer that would use the same attachments. Or, I would speak to her MIL and ask if buying her a new machine would offend her and if not maybe see if the MIL wanted to help you with the cost of a new machine and give it as a joint gift, that way you may be able to get an even better machine with more bells and whistles.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i would actually talk to her about it---is she really attached to the machine? she may not have any interest in a new machine-
also---would her mother in law be hurt- maybe not-
if you do go for a new machine tell her she should still hold on to the older one- you just never know when you might need a back up-
i have been on both sides of this---actually all 3 sides of this- my mil gave me an old machine years ago when i was sewing my kids clothes by hand- later that year my mother sent me a newer machine- i stuck the older machine in a closet- another year or so went by i got my sister sewing-on the old machine- that old (machine from mil passed around between family members for 20 years- then i gave it to my daughter when she turned 21- and had her own daughter to sew for- then her mil gave her a much nicer new machine a year or so later- one of my neices kids are now using the old-old machine-it is still in the family---we just pass machines around to whom ever needs one at the time- there are no hard feelings- as we could get better ones we did- no one ever expected us to keep on using the old one- the old one was one to keep us sewing until we could get a better one. i can think of 4 different machines over 20 years old that are still being used by siblings, kids, grandkids, neices/nephews- they are excited to get the machine- and as soon as they get a new one they either put the old one away-or pass it on until someone else needs it.
That sounds like a good way to go - especially if the machine is in good working condition.

For 90% or more of my sewing, a good straight stitch is all i really need!