Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: What would you do with these?

To Amalia64, who asked, "Do you have some pictures of your Uncle Sam's Kaleidoscope quilt? Would like to see some."

here's the link:
    www.quiltingboard.com/t-51606-1.htm

I saw your quilt, that is soo cool. My sister was telling me about a Kaleidoscope quilt she is working on. I didn't know what she was talking about. I like the colors. Thanks.

Thanks! I would love to hang it out on the porch for July 4th, but it would get too much sun, and I'm afraid it would fade.

Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    pinwheels sound just right to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gotthebug
    You could always send them to me. after all it's my birthday tomorrow!!!!!
    How kind of jdavis to send them to you! What a nice surprise for your birthday! Congratulations!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis
    Ok everybody, I thank you all for the ideas.
    Please don't all be upset about what I decided.
    I'm sending them to Gotthebug, as a birthday gift.
    I didn't want to give any one particular person the advantage over anyone else. I do like the ideas you all posted, and I know there are a bunch of scrap users on this board....

I wish you all a happy 4th of July weekend!
    And a happy 4th to you also. That was very generous of you to give them away.

Or - you could send them to me. :lol: Dodee

I turned 65 today! I can't believe I have made it this many years. I told a friend of mine the other day that I had, had everything I have operated on except left arm, and kidneys. But I am thankful that I can still get around and I plan on living another 65 years!!!! Wait a minute that's a long time isn't it. Maybe I better say another 25 years instead.

Quote Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
    they've got PINWHEEL written ALL OVER THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They sure do!

Well, gotthebug looks like you should make a pinwheel and send pictures to JDavis - We want to see it all done! Have fun!

Happy Birthday and many more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodles
    I turned 65 today! I can't believe I have made it this many years. I told a friend of mine the other day that I had, had everything I have operated on except left arm, and kidneys. But I am thankful that I can still get around and I plan on living another 65 years!!!! Wait a minute that's a long time isn't it. Maybe I better say another 25 years instead.

Thank you Amalia64 for the Birthday wishes. I sure feel like more than 65 today. But after I rest I will be feeling like I am 50!!! HEE HEE

how big are they?

Well, happy birthday to you all.
    The 4th? Our church had a celebration that recognized our country. Some brought tears to many eyes.
    Dodee

i agree pinwheels, that would make an awsom quilt.

i would never work with anything that small myself, so if i didn't want to waste them i would donate them to a kindergarten class. most schools can't afford much in the way of art supplies these days.

Blog Entries
    Would you please explain what a "leader & ender" quilt is? This sounds like something I would do. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdavis
    These are scraps leftover from my "Uncle Sam's Kaleidoscope" quilt.....
    What would you do with them?

In case the colors don't show very well, they are red, white and blues. There is one off-white print.
    Send them to me. The colors are beautiful.

Power Poster
    perhaps pinwheels?

Power Poster
    perhaps pinwheels?

Has anyone explained , leader and ender quilt to you yet?? I have been looking and sofar no answer. If you got a PM would you please share it with me, I want to know too.

Quote Originally Posted by Weed
    Would you please explain what a "leader & ender" quilt is? This sounds like something I would do. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrickett
    Has anyone explained , leader and ender quilt to you yet?? I have been looking and sofar no answer. If you got a PM would you please share it with me, I want to know too.

I hope I'm not jumping in here out of line but to my understanding a "leader" is a sm. scrap of fabric you put down ahead the needle to start stitching on ahead of your main fabric. This avoids the first cpl. of stitches from pushing the edge of your fabric down into the hole. I've never used an ender but I think it's a sm. scrap of fabric at the end of your stitching that you just run onto at the end of your seam.
    If this is wrong, I hope somebody can correct me.

That Makessence to me, only I call it a spider, with all the strings hanging off. thank you for the explination, havea good day

Quote Originally Posted by Pat G

I hope I'm not jumping in here out of line but to my understanding a "leader" is a sm. scrap of fabric you put down ahead the needle to start stitching on ahead of your main fabric. This avoids the first cpl. of stitches from pushing the edge of your fabric down into the hole. I've never used an ender but I think it's a sm. scrap of fabric at the end of your stitching that you just run onto at the end of your seam.
    If this is wrong, I hope somebody can correct me.

Save them for down the road to do a crazy patch quilt. They would lay nicely edge over edge and stitch once leaving rough edges on both sides. When all the fabric pieces have been added and you expand the layout as you go until you reach your desired size, there will not be any one piece the same and it looks nice from either side, wrong side or not. I did this years ago and made a quick yet fashionable table cloth for the picnic basket. All my utensils are red/white/blue so even the colors worked well. Or you could donate the pieces to a local quilt club. There are many that would love the fabric.

http://quiltville.com

one of the best sites for scrap users. If you get to the home page, on the left hand side is a menu, and one of the links is to the leader and header formula/technique. Bonnie Hunter's site is worth bookmarking and spending days reading ... she is very generous with her scrap organizing tips, quilt patterns for scrap quilters, and very easy to read. Her books are worth EVERY dime.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4